FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Experiment in Sleep Deprivation (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: An Experiment in Sleep Deprivation
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
That effect has already been dubbed "The Gay Train™" by Ralphie.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nonono. The entire graemlin is TGT. The little bits that seem to scuttle across the screen when most of the train is obscured -- well, that's just plain creepy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you were to open a book right now, the letters would start re-arranging themselves. At least, that's happened to me before. Mark Twain can be really trippy, if you give him a chance. [Smile]

[ November 09, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Polemarch ]

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Back home for the home stretch. Four hours seems like nothing.

I've given up hope that my delusions will become more severe. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

Guess I'll kill some more time with Nintendo.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking old-school nintendo?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Word up.

Contra, Rad Racer, Tetris, Mario 3, Kung Fu, Punch-Out, Blades of Steel, TMNT.

I think if I went out and found Bubble Bobble, I could stay up three more days.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. My friends and I went head to head with Super Mario Bros. last night. Of course, it took some time getting the cartridges to work. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
We should organize a pool to predict when Frisco will crash. I put a buck down on 8am today.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
My hat's off to you. Pains me to say it, but I'm not young enough to do this sort of thing anymore.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
We should organize a pool to predict when Frisco will crash.
Ok, I'm in! Put me down for noon Monday. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Hey! My 86 hours is up on 50 minutes! Unless somebody pays me off, I plan on sleeping!

Where's peter the bookie when you need him?

Actually, with my new Nintendo and every game every made, I could be up for a long, long time.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Unluckily, the second time he rear-ended a lawyer. Luckily, her response was to lead her congregation in a prayer for the sleep-deprived residents"

Woulda been better if she had sued the hell out of the hospital administrators to the point that employee insurance coverage would have been exhausted. NObody should be forced to make life or death decisions under conditions producing sleep deprivation upon pain of being banned from practicing their chosen profession.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Sounds like somebody needs a nap.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, been having some naps. Otherwise, been awake considerably longer than you have.
What I need is sleep, as in more than 8hours.

Nonetheless, hospital administrators are murdering patients to save a few bucks by overworking their residents.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

8 hours?! Does that mean I can start telling people I haven't slept since high school?

Although I've passed my personal best, I probably have enough adrenaline running through my veins from playing Punch-Out to stay up for about another week.

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you beat Mike?

Anyway, I just want to share that you caused me to jinx myself. I can't sleep...and I *never* have insomnia [Dont Know]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

No. Gave up on Piston Honda because my thumb couldn't move.

89 hours. I may sleep soon, if only to rest my fingers.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, too much info, man, too much info.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Only for those with over-active imaginations. [Wink]
Frisco
Member # 3765

Like you weren't thinking the same thing.

93.5 hours.

Still not much more than a surreal feeling. And everthing is covered in fuzz. But that's it.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What color is the fuzz?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Depends on the object. The fuzz seems to have some sort of camouflaging ability.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to sound like a mom, but this could be really damaging to your health. [Frown]

*mom voice* get some sleep, young man!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Pssh. I feel great. I may never sleep again.

I think I may have overlooked the possibility that I could be some sort of demi-god.

That would explain so much. The x-ray vision, the strength of a thousand mortals, the ability to walk on my hands, my prowess on the air hockey table, etc...

rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. Wasn't that a cue for the little men in white coats?
Frisco
Member # 3765

Why do you have to bring the Oompa Loompas into this?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Grunka Lunkas are better than Oompa Loompas.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Grunka lunka dunkity-gredient
You should not ask about the secret ingredient!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
*tip-toes in*

Is he still awake??? [Dont Know]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers*
He probably fell asleep a few hours ago, which means he'll be sleeping for the next couple of days. [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
This really is not a good idea, and driving on little sleep is a worse one. Get to sleep!
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Frisco's last post was shortly before noon in his time zone! YES!

What do I win? [Big Grin]

Frisco
Member # 3765

You know how a hot shower always feels best after you've been out in the cold, pouring rain?

Well, these last 8 hours have been the greatest 8 hours of sleep that I've ever had.

I decided to sleep, since I went to a couple job interviews today and probably looked like I was baked out of my mind. And I have a couple more tomorrow that I'd like to not look like a drug addict for.

So I stopped at 100 hours. Seemed like a good, round number, anyway.

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
If Frisco doesn't have minions already, he deserves them. [Hail]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I already have one minion--Ralphie--and since I claim all of her minions indirectly, I really don't need anymore.

Besides, why would I want minions who're impressed by something so trivial as sleep deprivation? [Razz]

I don't want praise, I just wanted a thread to keep me awake as a sort of motivation. That, and it got people to help keep me awake.

And I was hoping something interesting would happen and I'd have a written record.

Maybe I'll try again soon.

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, if Frisco doesn't have a wedgie already, he deserves one. [Razz]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
If I didn't have to work, I might try this. I did stay awake (involuntarily) for 36 hours or so a few weeks back, though I was pretty dazed before I finally got to sleep. Had no trouble driving, fortunately.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I was right! [Big Grin] He went to sleep! I was joking but I was right! [Big Grin]
*does a happy dance*
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Van Dyke anyone?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Dammit. Whenever I stay awake for long periods of time, I get yelled at and put in the hospital, not cheered on. [Mad]
rivka
Member # 4859

(((((mack))))) You're right, it's not fair. Not that I think the 100 hour thing was terribly healthy for Frisco, either. Although it was kinda fun to watch . . . [Dont Know] [Evil]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco has almost doubled what I've done. And made a damn funny thread while doing it!

I salute you, Eddie. [Hat] Not for the sleep-dep, but for the humor you have given us.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo the "mom" thing. Erm... this is kind of not terribly smart. It's probably amazingly damaging to your health, although I wouldn't know.

Have fun sleeping... [Sleep] [Sleep] [Sleep]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Mac, if Eddie had annunced plans to do something really over-the-top, outside of his apartment, he would have been scolded more. I am surprised he apparently went to a job interview in the condition he was in, that wasn't smart or mature. I wonder what they thought of him?

Hers's a link to a sleep story, originally printed in the NY Times science section but reprinted in the Atlanta Journal/Constitution so you don't have to register.
Why is sleep needed? The surprising answer is: scientists don't really know why sleep is needed. [Dont Know] [Confused]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco is my new hero.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'll show you "smart or mature" on Friday when I land the job, Morbo. [Razz]

Aside from a bit o' redness in the old eyes, I was stone cold normal. If there's one thing I do well, it's keep my pain hidden.

I realized I had this particular knack in college when I was rowing crew. My coach would constantly rag on me for not pulling (because I kept a straight face while the rest of the boat looked as if they were giving birth to triplets), until we seat raced (race once, then switch one member of the four and race again, repeat...). He promptly apologized and moved me into the 5-seat--the powerhouse of a racing scull.

So what I'm trying to say is that to the uninformed, I seemed rather normal. I think I probably got both jobs.

And should I even care about what a man who freaked out in an internet forum over a Chinese food menu has to say about maturity. [Wink]

Morbo
Member # 5309

Quite right, Eddie, I'm sure your interviewers thought nothing of your red eyes, jumping at sudden noises and non-stop babbling to milk cartons. That said, it was a fun thread and I hope you fooled them and get a job offer.
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm tempted to start again right now, as I'm looking at the clock and realizing that I've been awake since I woke up from my 8 hours of amazing sleep at midnight yesterday.

22.5 hours. Who wants to bet that I can make it to 101? [Wink]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

this thread was fun.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Frisco lost his touch, he couldn't stay awake for all of Kamacon.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.