FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » South Carolina city police can read minds...

Author Topic: South Carolina city police can read minds...
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
...even to the extent of knowing what another species smells.

Apparently such folk also like engaging in domestic terrorism by pointing loaded weapons at children in school while roughing them up.

--------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Pennsylvania county sheriffs help a real estate developer to rob an 89year old woman of ~&785thousand and her home.

[ November 08, 2003, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
School officials say there have been at least four cases of students bringing drugs to school.
And they thought this was sufficient to raid a school?

I mean, jeez, I think my high school(s) had that many violations in a week...

When I was a freshman in a catholic school, the would routinely search lockers (one full halway in a strech). A junior got busted with 9 ounces of marijuana. That was in 1996 (or 95, can't remember).

Did the school get raided ??? Hell no.

After I graduated from public school, the state police installed an undercover cop and busted "the Buena nine" as they were later known. No drug raids there (they probably could have used one).

Is this even legal/constitutional? I mean, it seems really drastic.

quote:
Helene Shue's red farmhouse and 41 acres of land along Route 39 -- about two miles from Hersheypark -- were appraised at $800,000, said her nephew, Jeff Arndt. The property was sold in September at a sheriff's sale for $15,000.

This is just wrong......

quote:
The entire Shue parcel was sold to Philip Dobson of Middle Paxton Twp., a developer, on Sept. 25, Kocher said.
Just what this country needs.....more developments. [Mad]
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
McCrackin [school principal] says several students were cuffed when they refused to get on the floor, "I don't think it was an overreaction on our part. I'm sure it was an inconvenience to those individuals who were in the hallway, but there is a valuable experience there."
from link. Yeah, the lesson is, bend over when a cop or other authority figure says so, and shut up. The war on drugs has gotten totally out of hand.

As for the old lady's property, they may or may not have followed the letter of the law. But they certainly violated the spirit of the law. The fact that previous and subsequent tax bills were paid in full shows good faith on the old lady and her nephew's part. They could have just put a lien on the property for the $572 owed and collected when she died. That's what counties and cities in Georgia do, and they do it for a lot more than $572, after years of non-payment of taxes. That county selling her property to collect 1/1600 of the appraised value is pretty suspicious. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer was connected to the subdivision property and the whole thing was rigged six ways from Sunday from the beginning to cheat her/force a sale when she refused to sell.

[edit: The buyer is a developer. He may or may not have colluded with people in government to force a sale. It has been known to happen. If there was no collusion, he could just be a smart business man with $15,000 on hand who saw a 40-acre parcel come up for auction and snapped it up for a song.

I hope this old lady and her nephew can afford a good lawyer--if so they have a good chance of overturning the sale]

[ November 08, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

quote:
They could have just put a lien on the property for the $572 owed and collected when she died. That's what counties and cities in Georgia do, and they do it for a lot more than $572.
I've seen them do this in New Jersey as well---but, if the property were 'hot,' I don't know if it would be the same.
quote:
That county selling her property to collect 1/1600 of the appraised value is pretty suspicious. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer was connected to the subdivision property and the whole thing was rigged six ways from Sunday from the beginning to cheat her/force a sale when she refused to sell.
More than likely. I've seen some places around where I live where they condemn the person's house if they refuse to sell. It's not ethical in the least bit. It's sick. If I believed in hell, I would want to see these people burn in it.
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, condemnation and eminant domain proceedings often have a whiff of corruption, if not an out-right stench of it, because so much money can be made. Wal-mart is involved in an eminant domain hearing in Alabama right now, so they can get a parcel crucial to commercial developement without paying fair-market value. Of course, the local government is only too willing to lend color of authority to facilitate the transaction/government theft because of the increased property taxes they can collect from a commercial property vs. a vacant parcel.

You're right, it is sickening. I'm sure laissez-faire capitalists have no problem with it though--after all, we have too much regulation in America. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Ha! Regulation........
Starla*
Member # 5835

And bend over to authority because 'they know best....'
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
On the high school thing: We are now one step closer to the police state.

This way of dealing with a few students who were maybe, perhaps dealing (and, recall, the cops didn't find anything) was so far out of proportion that I can't even begin to describe it. It's going to give the kids "a valuable experience" to cuff them in their school corridor without probable cause that those particular individuals had done something illegal? I mean besides react in panic when the cops barged in, guns drawn. God, I wish I could cuss on this forum. What is that man doing as principal of a school?

On the television coverage of this story, I heard one of the police officials say that this raid and the way it was carried out was a proportional, safe way of dealing with the situation. I want to know what the Hades is "safe" about drawn, loaded weapons in a school.

Sheesh. Can you tell that I'm a little upset about this?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Maybe they figured they'd train the next generation at a young age to accept the police state and ask no questions or to resist.

Train 'em young. [Mad]

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Starla, they screwed up on the last generation and look at the last 50 years! I mean, it's been a period of the most radical social change in any period in human history. Enough is enough, I say! Give me back my static, unchanging socieity where the government fights reprehensible and prolonged wars in foreign countries and I can descriminate against anyone who looks or acts differently.

[/sarcasm][/cynicism]

Wait... give me back rerehensible and prolonged wars in foreign countries? We've already got them. [Razz]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

[Confused]

[ROFL]

[Roll Eyes]

Starla*
Member # 5835

[Big Grin]

Even though in reality, it isn't that funny, but what ya gonna do? C'est La Vie---protest and kick and scream like hell.

C'est la Vie.....

:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet has coined us a term!

Rerehensible: rehensible, cubed.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the best state is a police state.

Really, do you think God would have put these people in a position above us if they didn't know what was best and weren't trying to help the world? That's why monarchy was a good thing.

[ November 08, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Black Mage ]

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
My school was one of the best in the area, it had a reputation for good grades and discipline.

It also had a 'great' policy on drug use which most people did not know about. When they caught people using on school grounds they took whatever it was they were injecting/inhaling off them and threw it away. Then they arranged counselling for them and told everyone that they had had 'reports' that the student had a problem. Since they never had the substance tested they did not technically know that the student was using drugs. But our teachers said that criminalizing these kids wasn't going to help them get better.

I was horrified when I found this out,(the school did not widely publicise this policy for obvious reasons) but I gradually saw that it made sense. Most of those kids went on to achieve good grades and sort themselves out. It was probably completely illegal, but it did seem to work.
I'm not sure waving guns around usually has the same effect.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing that works is ever legal these days, Sugar+Spice. I mean, if it actually works, it's gotta be cruel and unusual. Or an invasion of privacy, or something.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
At my school, the police come at an arranged time (unknown to the students, known to the principal/vice principal) An announcement is made, saying that all students should stay in their classes, that all doors should be locked, and that any students in the hallways should go immediately to a classroom. We wait in our classes while the police bring the dogs through, then we are released. It is one of our lockdown procedures, usually merely an slight inconvience.

If the police burst into my school waving guns around (which I'm pretty sure would never happen here in Canada) I would be outraged and terrified. I like my school's system much better, and I've heard it's effective.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.