FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where does MS Word hide the autocorrect list

Author Topic: Where does MS Word hide the autocorrect list
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend does medical transcription, and saves lots of typing time by establishing many abbreviations for commonly used terms and phrases. She sets up the autocorrect feature in Word to automatically replace her easily typed abbreviations with the full text she wants to go into the transcript. It's taken her a lot of time to set up Word with all the terms she needs, and the trouble is, one time when her computer died, she lost all that information. She would like to know what file it's kept in so she can regularly back it up along with her other data. We can't seem to find any such file. We even went in and made a change and saved it, then did a search on all files changed on this date and it didn't show up. Even when we searched for hidden files as well. Can anyone tell me where this autocorrect information is saved and how she can back it up? A dozen cyberroses and a five pound box of cyberchocolate to anyone who can find the answer to this question. Thanks! [Kiss]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate, MS keeps changing it so that it will depend on what version she is using. I'm using the most recent version of MW Word for OS X, in this version there is an Autocorrect option in the tools menu. Previously I think it was in preferences under the editing tab.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this page may tell you what you need to know.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Rabbit, I don't need to know how to find it inside the program, I need to know what file the data is saved in, so she can back up that file and not ever lose again all the ones she has set up.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have read more carefully the first time, on the Mac the Autocorrect list is saved in the Word Settings file, I don't know if there is a comparable file in windows.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Papa Moose come through again.
GreNME
Member # 3401

- posted      Profile for GreNME   Email GreNME         Edit/Delete Post 
This is for the latest version of Word

This is for Word 2000

Autocorrect lists are not forward compatible, but Here is a way to get a printout of the words in the list in Word 97, Here is how to in Word 2000, and I'm pretty sure it's the same in Word 2002 as Word 2000 for printing a list.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
AKA, Pop, I had never thought of the need to backup such settings, wouldn't have known where to look (besides MS KB of course) thanks for the info Pop. Certainly have added to my personal KB for later reference.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

This sample macro called autocorrect utilities she doesn't seem to have. [Frown]
ana kata
Member # 5666

John, thank you! This is exactly what she needs. She has Word 2002. Unfortunately, the support.dot file is not present on her computer. I wonder if there is a copy I can download from somewhere? Or someone else who has this same version that can email me their support.dot file?

[ November 11, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

GreNME
Member # 3401

If she is on XP, have her go into the search bar, choose advanced options, and check "search system files and folders." The normal search does not do that.

Just in case, Here is mine (zipped, left-click and save as).

[ November 11, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: GreNME ]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreNME
Member # 3401

And please let me know once you get it, so I can remove it from the server.

(oh, and I was wrong—Word 2002 isn't the most current. However, Word 2003 isn't really "out" yet in most of the word-processing world. Semantical, but I figured I'd clarify)

ana kata
Member # 5666

Thanks John, I got it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.