FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 80s music is cool, or Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 80s music is cool, or Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Giddy up!

**smirk**

[ November 13, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to try it, but your links sends me to the answer page. I didn't read any, to keep the test honest. [Smile]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops.....

Try it now.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. Double http:://'s in there.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

[Mad]

try it now.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did scarily well on the 80's music test.

[Cool]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Cheater.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

uh UH!

[Razz]

That's my music you're talking about!

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

It was mine, too, and I only got 73.4. I should probably get myself checked out for Down's Syndrome or something.

[ November 12, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Or I'm simply better than you.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

How'd you get a decimal, anyway?
Megachirops
Member # 4325

And how'd you lose a fifth of a point, eh?
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I had this vision of Ic as Bob or Doug McKenzie.

I got a 73, which sucks because there were 17 that I left blank and actually knew.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! 38.5 and that's partly 'cuz he took off 30% for being in the generation that gave him disco and the bradys.

Hmmmph.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that test was too long, but on the ones I did know, I got half of them wrong because I spelled them wrong. I mean, really, is it such a big deal if I spell Billie Jean as Billy Jean? Or Jessie as Jesse? And who in the Hell names their boy Jessie?

[ November 11, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

And why can't I find her, a girl like that?
Kayla
Member # 2403

Cause I'm already married. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Not you.

I wish I had Jessie's girl.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Nuh uh. "Where can I find a woman like that?" I'm like that, you big, old poopy head.

[ November 11, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

*nod*
Megachirops
Member # 4325

(Which explains your score . . . )
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

You're Jessie's girl?

Thank God I found you.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Yah, now you can finally sleep.
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

I'm such a poor sport I call anyone who beats me a cheater.

[Roll Eyes]

[ November 11, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
113, and three of the questions missed because of stinkin' typos.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I got an 88.5, and I wasn't even alive for all of the eighties. Take that, old 'uns.

(I misspelled Billie Jean and Jessie too. Drat.)

[ November 11, 2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You all forget that Icarus OWNS a karaoke machine.

Literally OWNS one!

He uses it too! It's not like those Nordic track things that you fold up and stick under the bed. Nope, this is a permanent fixture in their house. Like the kitchen table. It's just THERE.

And they actually know good places to buy the karaoke versions of hard-to-find songs.

Now, Moose's performance I can't explain except to point out that his mis-spent youth was mis-spent in Santa Barbara and he knows actual DJs who invite him over to their house and all. They probably play music there too!

My score was a sad combination of leaving things blank that I later recognized and misspelling things that I knew the word, but not how to spell it.

I challenge you all to a 60's duel, though.

HAH! <--- sound of me throwing down gauntlet

WHOA! <--- sound of me marveling at all the cool color trails as my gauntlet falls swirlingly to the ground.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. 34.1.

Lost a few because of typos.

I'm actually pleased.

Very few of the songs I missed are ones I think are good. [Wink]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm really frustrated, because there were a lot that I know I know, but just went blank on.

It kind of worries me though - whoever made up that quiz thinks that "Smokin' in the Boys Room" is an 80s song. Thing is, it was out when I was in high school, in the 70s - Brownsville Station, not Motley Crue.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, they released it in 1974, but Motley Crew covered it with a video in 1985. Remember, video killed the radio star. [Laugh]
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
98.5. I think knowing the Hotel California song was what really helped me out...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Africa" was worth 5 points?!? Who doesn't know "africa"?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] Oh, the shame.

Final Score: 56.5

In my defense, I had the same problems with Billie Jean and Jessie as others. And there were a LOT where I knew one of two blanks, or even two of three -- I want partial credit! [Razz]

I did get the 10-pointer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
WooHoo! 105.5!

Same stupid typos as the rest of you. I've never owned a Michael Jackson album! Or a Rick Springfield album! Where would I ever see it spelled?!

And I was only 10 when the 80s ended. [Razz]

And there were more that I would have known had the song been playing instead of having to read and insert the beat.

Had I heard and known "Footloose" and "Physical", I wouldn't have guessed "please" for "Louise", nor "rebel yell" for "body talk". [Embarrassed]

And I somehow drew a blank at the lyrics for Der Kommisar.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Yeah, I'm kicking myself over Footloose and Physical too.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Did you claim Woodstock or The Twist?

Woodstock is a 30% deduction, and The Twist is a 15% bonus.

I got no bonus because I was three months old when Nancy told us all to Just Say No. [Grumble]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

"Just Say No"

No bonus, no deduction.

Frisco
Member # 3765

[Embarrassed]

But it's just that you're so mature, Iccy!

[ROFL]

Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm almost as embarassed as the last time I took one of these tests and filled in

"I just called to say _____ _____ _____."

With "your dog's loose".

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

[Big Grin]
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
i misspelled jessie too!

grrr

many that i should have gotten i screwed up somehow, but i got a 58.5, which aint bad since i was only 7 when the 80's ended and i rarely listen to that crap.

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
0. Was not very old back then. Never listen to music, even now. [Hat]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Wow. I think a blind Rhesus monkey with Alzheimers could've guessed at least one right.

And you get five points just for saying where you heard about the test!

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
73...better than I thought. I was actually surprised and rather proud that I knew that many! [Smile] I'm impressed with all the rest of you. [Hail]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Too lazy. I stopped after question 20 when realizing that there was no possible way that I could have answered any of these questions without a random guess being correct. I put something like pepperspray for "She blinded me with ______."

So, I just scrolled down and hit submit. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The only ones I definitely knew was the Weird Al, Beastie Boys, and Billy Idol songs. The rest were just guesses.

So....I only got 17.5 [Blushing]

But this isn't my generation. I didn't even start getting into modern music, really, 'til '97 (before that, it was only my dad's music that I also liked [lynyrd skynyrd, Beatles, etc.]). So gimme a break!

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
88, but only really respectable thanks to Hotel California. Can't believe I didn't get Little Red Corvette [Blushing]
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, everyone who knew Hotel California -- are you SD fans? Or do you just know the lyric?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

What does Snoop Dogg have to do with this?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
60. That's respectable. I got the Hotel California lyric because A. I heart the Eagles and B. I read the lyric in the book "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" or one of its sequels.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.