FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books in Russian...?

Author Topic: Books in Russian...?
imtheskywhoru?
Member # 4404

- posted      Profile for imtheskywhoru?           Edit/Delete Post 
I am Russian and would like to read books in my native language.

The only problem is that I can't find a decent Russian book (in Russian) on the Internet. You would think that the local stores would have some but they don't. And I could get one from the library but I can't since I don't drive yet and would not be able to return it and have no money to pay for the late return.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything Yevgeny Zamyatin has written. You might start with We.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
♪ Ratsvyetali yabloki ee grushee
Poplili tumani nad ryekoi
Vikhodila na byereg katiousha
Na visoki byereg na krutoi ♫

Sorry -- don't know where any books are available. Good luck finding them.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
where are you? I know that there are Russian bookstores in various major cities in the US...

In San Francisco there's a russian community area with several grocery stores and bookstores. In Boston there's an international bookstore with many many languages represented (near Harvard square, not open most days). NYC's bound to have international language bookstores...

Might be a good way to find Russian books.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a Russian guy who had to sell all his books before he came here (it broke his heart), and he said he finds books in Russian in New York City bookshops where emigres sell theirs when they need money. I have no idea if any of these would be online. But that's where he got his books. He was very sad when we discussed this because he had just left his copy of The Insulted and the Humiliated on an airplane and there was no chance of his getting another one in Russian for a long time. [Frown]

Good luck finding some. I might look on the web for bookstores in NYC and call there to ask. If they don't have them they might know who would.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Здравствуй, sky.

Rambler.ru is a good all-purpose guide to finding Russian stuff on the internet. I did a quick search and found some links you might find helpful. With these, you should be able to order this novel, which I rather liked, this other novel I liked, and innumerable detective novels.

If you don't want to (or can't) order stuff online, I know you can find etexts of a lot of stuff in Russian. If I have some time tommorrow, I'll see if I can't find you some links.

So what kind of books are you into, anyway?

[ November 12, 2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to meet you.

My wife and I are in the process of adopting children from Russia. I have family history that goes that way as well. I look forward to any input you have on Russia, its culture and its people.

My wife worked for The International Institute--an agency that helps immigrants and refuge's to America learn everything they need to survive, from the language to how to get a job. They recieved a donation of books from a local publisher, over productions to give away to all the clients.

Unfortunately they were all tawdry romance novels.

I may have a copy of the russian language version at home, but I don't think it would be worth the shipping costs to send it to you.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.