FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To all D&D fans out there: PBEM. Let's roll dice! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: To all D&D fans out there: PBEM. Let's roll dice!
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, people. This is an invitation to play a D&D campaign by e-mail (or chat/forum/smoke signs, etc).
I already DMed online, but never in english. If you don't mind the fact my written english is hideous, sometimes, post here.

Before choosing players, I would like to discuss frequency of posts, the setting, etc, here in this thread. I'll be choosing the 5-7 players afterwards (if enough people show up, of course).

Oh, yes...I'm only inviting Hatrack People (because it's "my" only english-speaking forum, and I'd like to improve my english skills).

If only two or three people show up, no prob. We can play with as few as 2 people.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we, like, NEED any D&D paraphrenalia? I've been insanely curious about the whole thing, and have no clue how to get started.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I really wish I had kept that character sheet for my alcoholic monk. Oh well, I'm willing to give this a shot.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet: no. There is no need for D&D paraphernalya, don't worry. Wanting to play is enough ;-)
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. Me. Me. MEEEE. Pleeeze. Since I didn't get a chance the last two times. Pleaseee.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I need a set of dice?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
avid roll-player HERE!!:

::Stands in spot::<------

This sounds like an interesting concept. Two of my favorite things finally combined, roll-playing and gaming. [Smile] It's about time.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the current, up to date D&D system rules (v. 3.5) you can find it here.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

thanks flyingcow

Count me in, once I read all this info!

Human
Member # 2985

Hm...to be a wizard or a rogue...or both?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

First of all:

sarcasticmuppet: No, you don't need a set of dice. I will roll the dice. [Evil]

Well...guess we can begin talking about the game. There are people enough (didn't selec players yet. People still can show up, if they want). I'll finish the calling friday night.
First of all, I'll be using D&D 3.5. Flying Cow was kind enough to provide us the link where the rules can be found (it's legal, don't worry). Although it would certainly help, you are not required to read all that info. I can help with the rules.

Second: Setting.

I'm in doubt between three settings.

- "Shadow Eyes" (Created by me. Gritty, dark, low-magic eastern european like setting, where "bad" people are easily noticed because of their entirely pitch-black eyes).
- "Birthright" (An official AD&D setting, it is now fan-supported. You can find more info about this interesting and political setting at www.birthright.net)
- We could discuss some basic Ideas about world, cosmology, etc. and then create something new while we are playing. Must warn you that it would be the most difficult and challenging options (it is very rewarding too, I can assure).

I'm ready to answer any questions (including more info about my setting, if you want it. If you'd like to play another game world, speak your mind. Maybe we can reach an understanding.

That's it, for now.

raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
i know this question is realy stupid but since im realy not a computer guy:
how do you play d&d on the internet???

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

We play by Forum, e-mail or a chat client (as ICQ or AIM). The DM roll dice and tell the players the results (or he let players roll and tell the results, if he's a trusting guy).
PBEMs are slower then your regular tabletop D&D game, but has its advantages (see...I'm in Brazil but I get to play with you guys [Wink] ).

Brenuine
Member # 5891

- posted      Profile for Brenuine   Email Brenuine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never played D&D, but I've always been interested. There's a big following here among my friends, and I would love to learn how. Great idea to have it online.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Welcome, Brenuine and...Hey, that's my hudreth post! Yey me! [Smile]

And don't worry. Newbies are always welcome (to Hatrack and to the game, of course).

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to play, but have way to much going on in my life right now. I wish you the best, have fun, and hopefully, when things calm down in a few months, I can catch the next game.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Ok, Dan. We'll be waiting.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. I just created a pyromaniac mage. [Big Grin] Lots o' fun!
Let me know when you plan to start, and I might be able to.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Ok. I'll close the call tomorrow night, and then I'll let you (and everybody) know.
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, but I only know 2nd Edition AD&D. I have a level three Ranger, if I can join. Also, AIM chatrooms have a dice rolling utility. Type //roll dice# sides# (where # are the number of dice and the number of sides each dice has). I've RP'd in chatrooms before- it's like a real session of D&D, minus the guys next to you.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus you have to supply your own Dorittos and Mountain Dew.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I didn't know that! Wow! Thanks, people! A dice-rolling utility will make it easyer.

About characters: Do not worry, people. We'll roll new ones. If you do not know 3.5 edition rules, we'll talk about the character you want, you roll the dice on AIM and I build the character and send you the character sheet.

Understood? [Smile]

BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like so much fun! I'm also a second ed. junkie, and have been really leary about 3rd ed. This would be a good way for me to ease into it.

My actual roll-playing group is playing Werewolf: The Apocalypse right now, and I'm kinda missing some good 'ol D&D. [Cry]

Okay, so maybe I'm not that sentimental.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Welcome, Belladona. I'm sure we'll all have a lot of fun!
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
::has been wanting to play::

Pick me! Pick me!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

OK, guys...just an update:

Up to now, we have eight people who want to play:

- Sarcasticmuppet
- Gottmorder
- Human
- Belladona Orchid
- Brenuine
- Eruve Nandiriel
- Polemarch
- Prolixshore

We have two people who posted but didn't say if they would like to play:

- Flyin Cow
- Raphael

(If you two would like to play, please, say so)

And one people who will only be able to play a few months from now:

- Dan_raven

As I already told you, I'll close this "calling" this night at 00:00 (My time zone is GMT -3, but it's "summer time" - that's how you call it when clocks are set 1 hour earlier to save power? - so make it GMT -2). So, If anyone else is interested, please, post before 00:00 (again, my time zone is GMT -2).

Everyone who applies will help discuss the scenario, playing schedule, frequency of posts, where we'll be playing (here +chat, another forum + chat, oly by forum, e-mail + chat, only by email, smoke signs, telepathy, ansible, "out there", etc.) [Smile]

All characters will be 1st level.

[ November 14, 2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

::thinks playing by telepathy is a really "neat" idea::

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Playing "out there" would also be nice, If we could only convince that pesky Jane to send us there. Of course, we would have to be very careful, lest our wishes and fantasies become...well...real:

DM: "You all see a mighty Dragon."
Player: "Wow! I wished I really could see a mighty Dragon".

Just imagine...

prolixshore
Member # 4496

I got that covered, my limited imagination could not hold a mighty and awesome dragon and so I wouldn't create one. Just a small and pitiful dragon, we could send him to buy drinks and snacks.

--ApostleRadio

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Dragon...small and pitiful. You would create a kobold (very D&D inside joke) [Smile] !
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I know what kobolds are, I've seen em in books before.

But you gotta admit, small pitiful dragon sounds better than a kobold.

--ApostleRadio

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to play (yes, you have a 42 year old here that plays D&D), however, I'm going to be gone for a week, Thanksgiving week, to visit a relative in Chicago, and will be computerless. So I'd better not start this time around. Let me know if you do it again after this adventure

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I'll travell this weekend too, farmgirl, and the adventure will only start in a week or more (since we'll roll characters, choose setting, discuss frequency of post, etc.)

So, I guess I'll count you in, ok? [Wink]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

thanksgiving week is a week from sunday eduardo.
Human
Member # 2985

*bounces* I'm here, ready for possible picking, yep! Have no idea about creating a character, but I can learn!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the largest group you've ever DMed Eduardo? I'd find running a game this size daunting, myself, but I know that people do it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I DMed a Play-by-e-mail game called "Swam Harp's Song" for 3 years. At its height, it had some 25 players.

You see...when you DM by e-mail, it's a lot easier to track characters.

But, unfortunatelly, I'll be selecting only 6-7 people, this time. After we reach a conclusion about the scenario, I'll ask people to come out with some backstory about their characters. I'll choose 6-7 to begin, and the others will be kept in standby (until some character dies or player drop-out). I don't want to DM to a very large crowd right now, you know.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in watching the game, if I could. I've really been enjoying watching Slash's game over on SakeRiver. Are you going to be playing it on a forum, or strictly by email, or what? If it's by email, definitely add me to the distribution list (if you don't mind, of course).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

We'll decide where we'll be playing after I come back home (I'll travel tomorrow), on monday.
Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
(Raises hand and waves it wildly) I wanna join, me me me!!!! Let me join!

I mean.... (calms self) I'd be interested in this venture... (clears throat)

~Ryuko~

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

AIM chat would be a good place. It's free to download for those who don't have it.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

What's an AIM chat?

[Wink] [Big Grin]

--ApostleRadio

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Well...that's it. I'll be leaving in a few minutes. There was ten people interested in playing:

- Sarcasticmuppet
- Gottmorder
- Human
- Belladona Orchid
- Brenuine
- Eruve Nandiriel
- Polemarch
- Prolixshore
- Farmgirl (Do not worry. Enjoy the hollyday. The game will be here when you come back.)
- Ryuko

See you all on monday. [Wave]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

Enjoy your trip.

--ApostleRadio

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo

Yes -- still count me in -- holiday or not. My 18 year old son (who is NOT going on vacation with me) has offered to continue playing my player for me the few days I'm gone. (if that is okay to have a proxy).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenuine
Member # 5891

- posted      Profile for Brenuine   Email Brenuine         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to play, but recently something has come up and I can't. Best of luck to everyone playing and have a great trip all who are going on vacation. Hopefully I can play sometime in the future.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I´m back, folks. Let's put this show on the road (tomorrow) :-)
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Should we give you AIM screen names? Email addresses? Telepathic links?
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Am I in? If I'm not..not going to think about that. Who's in?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I might not be able to play yet. Can I join in later? Like, in a few weeks or something?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.