FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Lines from Hitchhiker's Guide

Author Topic: Favorite Lines from Hitchhiker's Guide
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they keep talking about Douglas Adams in the Doctor Who thread. so I keep thinking of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I was just thinking--so many classic lines.

Here's the one that keeps rattling through my head lately:

Concerning FTL:

"It's a little like being drunk."

"Well, that doesn't sound so bad."

"It is if you're the glass of water."

Any takers?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the enitre book.

EDIT, because that was a cheap answer:

"Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.

This is a complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

'Ah ... ! What's happening? it thought.'

'Er, excuse me, who am I?'

'Hello?'

'Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?'

'What do I mean by who am I?'

'Calm down, get a grip now ... oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It's a sort of ... yawning, tingling sensation in my ... my ... well I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach.'

'Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what's about this whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that ... wind! Is that a good name? It'll do ... perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've found out what it's for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What's this thing? This ... let's call it a tail - yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can't I?'

'Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much but I'll probably find out what it's for later on. Now - have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?'

'No.'

'Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation ...'

'Or is it the wind?'

'There really is a lot of that now isn't it?'

'And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like ... ow ... ound ... round ... ground!'

'That's it! That's a good name - ground!'

'I wonder if it will be friends with me?'

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again'. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

[ November 13, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
"He's spending a year dead for tax reasons."
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
quote:
"Ford," he said, "you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.

This is a complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

'Ah ... ! What's happening? it thought.'

'Er, excuse me, who am I?'

'Hello?'

'Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?'

'What do I mean by who am I?'

'Calm down, get a grip now ... oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It's a sort of ... yawning, tingling sensation in my ... my ... well I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach.'

'Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what's about this whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that ... wind! Is that a good name? It'll do ... perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've found out what it's for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What's this thing? This ... let's call it a tail - yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can't I?'

'Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much but I'll probably find out what it's for later on. Now - have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?'

'No.'

'Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation ...'

'Or is it the wind?'

'There really is a lot of that now isn't it?'

'And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like ... ow ... ound ... round ... ground!'

'That's it! That's a good name - ground!'

'I wonder if it will be friends with me?'

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again'. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

This is the correct response.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to think that...

quote:
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
is one of the most descriptive sentences ever written.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
i love the Zen approach to navigation from "A long dark tea time of the soul", find someone who looks like they know where they are going, and follow them.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
It works, I've tried it. The key is to differentiate between the people who look like they might go where you want to and the others.

"Don't Panic", the towel story, and the babelfish story are my favorite bits.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
toni, feyd, I hate you.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
We know. Or at least, I do.

I also like the bit about infinity looking very unimpressive, while something that is merely vastly, enormously, incredibly huge is mind-boggling.

EDIT: As an architect, I have to add this...

"It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression “As pretty as an airport.”

Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only known exception to this rule), and architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve-jangling colors, to make effortless the business of separating the traveler forever from his of her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveler with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position or Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not."

[ November 14, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone else watched the bbc series? the graphics alone are worth it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
President: full title President of the Imperial Galactic Government.
The term Imperial is kept though it is now an anachronism. The hereditary Emperor is nearly dead and has been so for many centuries. In the last moments of his dying coma he was locked in a statis field which keeps him in a state of perpetual unchangingness. All his heirs are now long dead, and this means that without any drastic political upheaval, power has simply and effectively moved a rung or two down the ladder, and is now seen to be vested in a body which used to act simply as advisers to the Emperor - an elected Governmental assembly headed by a President elected by that assembly. In fact it vests in no such place.
The President in particular is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had - he has already spent two of his ten Presidential years in prison for fraud. Very very few people realize that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all, and of these very few people only six know whence ultimate political power is wielded. Most of the others secretly believe that the ultimate decision-making process is handled by a computer. They couldn't be more wrong.

And, on the BBC shows I have the radio shows, and BBC has released the TV shows online.

Satyagraha

[ November 14, 2003, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"generally outliving the hell out of everyone". I'm sure one of ya'll will correct some point of it, but we are talking about somthing so ingrained in my psyche that not even 4 pregnancies have utterly anihilated it yet.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I love that bit about airports. And isn't there a bit in there about the Hare Krishnas hanging out in airports because it's a place where people find themselves in need of guidance? Only he put it much better. Find that bit for me please? [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
"Brain the size of a universe, and what do they make me do? Park Cars. The first million years were the worst..."

Ahhhhh.... the memories....

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Why," he said "is there a sofa in that field?"

"I told you!" shouted Ford, leaping to his feet. "Eddies in the space-time continuum!"

"And this is his sofa, is it?"

Arthur felt happy. He was terribly pleased that the day was for once working out so much according to plan. Only twenty minutes ago, he decided he would go mad, and now here he was already chasing a Chesterfield sofa across the fields of prehistoric Earth.

"What was that!" hissed Arthur

"Something red," hissed Ford back at him.

"Where are we?"

"Er, somewhere green."

"Shapes," muttered Arthur, "I need shapes."

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's a little like being drunk."

"Well, that doesn't sound so bad."

"It is if you're the glass of water."

Sorry, this is bugging me. It should read:

quote:
Ford: It's a bit like being drunk.

Arthur: What's so bad about being drunk?

Ford: Ask a glass of water.

FX: SHIP GOING INTO HYPERSPACE

Arthur: Ugh! I'll never be cruel to gin and tonic again!

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol! Thanks' narrativium! It's been so long!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the radio series on CD. I listen to it every once in a while. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sorry for the Inconvience."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
“The principle of generating small amounts of finite improbability by simply hooking the logic circuits of a Bambleweeny 57 Sub-Meson Brain to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer (say a nice hot cup of tea) was of course well understood - and such generators were often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in accordance with the Theory of Indeterminacy.

”Many respectable physicists said that they weren't going to stand for this - partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties.

So true! Oh, so very, very true! [Cry]

(Edited to insert complete quote.)

[ November 14, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkindredSpeaker
Member # 5899

- posted      Profile for AkindredSpeaker   Email AkindredSpeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Haha! Thanks for reminding me, those books always cheer me up.

What comes to my mind is a part something like the following: "We should leave now or you will be late. As in, the late Author Dent."

Also, peril sensitive sun glasses.
And cheerful doors and mattresses - I love his animation of inanimate objects, like the life cycle of a screwdriver.

If anyone can look these up for me I'd love it, since Im in a foreign country and I forgot the second most essencial thing...my Hitchhiker's Guide. At least I have my towel.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post here. I lurk very frequently. This is my favorite exerpt from "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish". Chapter 20 page 103...sorry for the length.

'Tell me the story,' said Fenchurch firmly. 'You arrived at the station.'
'I was about twenty minutes early. I'd got the time of the train wrong. I suppose it is equally possible,' he added after a moment's reflection, 'that British Rail had got the time of the train wrong. Hadn't occurred to me before.'
'Get on with it.' Fenchurch laughed.
'So I bought a newspaper, to do the crossword, and went to the buffet to get a cup of coffee.'
'You do the crossword?'
'Yes.'
'Which one?'
'The Guardian usually.'
'I think it tries to be too cute. I prefer The Times. Did you solve it?'
'What?'
'The crossword in the Guardian.'
'I haven't had a chance to look at it yet,' said Arthur, 'I'm still trying to buy the coffee.'
'All right then. Buy the coffee.'
'I'm buying it. I am also,' said Arthur, 'buying some biscuits.'
'What sort?'
'Rich Tea.'
'Good Choice.'
'I like them. Laden with all these new possessions, I go and sit at a table. And don't ask me what the table was like because this was some time ago and I can't remember. It was probably round.'
'All right.'
'So let me give you the layout. Me sitting at the table. On my left, the newspaper. On my right, the cup of coffee. In the middle of the table, the packet of biscuits.'
'I see it perfectly.'
'What you don't see,' said Arthur, 'because I haven't mentioned him yet, is the guy sitting at the table already. He is sitting there opposite me.'
'What's he look like?'
'Perfectly ordinary. Briefcase. Business suit. He didn't look,' said Arthur, 'as if he was about to do anything weird.'
'Ah. I know the type. What did he do?'
'He did this. He leaned across the table, picked up the packet of biscuits, tore it open, took one out, and...'
'What?'
'Ate it.'
'What?'
'He ate it.'
Fenchurch looked at him in astonishment. 'What on earth did you do?'
'Well, in the circumstances I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do. I was compelled,' said Arthur, 'to ignore it.'
'What? Why?'
'Well, it's not the sort of thing you're trained for is it? I searched my soul, and discovered that there was nothing anywhere in my upbringing, experience or even primal instincts to tell me how to react to someone who has quite simply, calmly, sitting right there in front of me, stolen one of my biscuits.'
'Well, you could...' Fenchurch though about it. 'I must say I'm not sure what I would have done either. So what happened?'
'I stared furiously at the crossword,' said Arthur. 'Couldn't do a single clue, took a sip of coffee, it was too hot to drink, so there was nothing for it. I braced myself. I took a biscuit, trying very hard not to notice,' he added, 'that the packet was already mysteriously open...'
'But you're fighting back, taking a tough line.'
'After my fashion, yes. I ate a biscuit. I ate it very deliberately and visibly, so that he would have no doubt as to what it was I was doing. When I eat a biscuit,' Arthur said, 'it stays eaten.'
'So what did he do?'
'Took another one. Honestly,' insisted Arthur, 'this is exactly what happened. He took another biscuit, he ate it. Clear as daylight. Certain as we are sitting on the ground.'
Fenchurch stirred uncomfortably.
'And the problem was,' said Arthur, 'that having not said anything the first time, it was somehow even more difficult to broach the subject a second time around. What do you say? "Excuse me...I couldn't help noticing, er..." Doesn't work. No, I ignored it with, if anything, even more viguor than previously.'
'My man...'
'Stared at the crossword, again, still couldn't budge a bit of it, so showing some of the spirit that Henry V did on St Crispin's Day...'
'What?'
'I went into the breach again. I took,' said Arthur, 'another biscuit. And for an instant our eyes met.'
'Like this?'
'Yes, well, no, not quite like that. But they met. Just for an instant. And we both looked away. But I am here to tell you,' said Arthur, 'that there was a little electricity in the air. There was a little tension building up over the table. At about this time.'
'I can imagine.'
'We went through the whole packet like this. Him, me, him, me...'
'The whole packet?'
'Well it was only eight biscuits but it seemed like a lifetime of biscuits we were getting through at this point. Gladiators could hardly have had a tougher time.'
'Gladiators,' said Fenchurch, 'would have had to do it in the sun. More physically gruelling.'
'There is that. So. When the empty packet was lying between us the man at last got up, having done his worst, and left. I heaved a sigh of relief, of course. As it happened, my train was announced a moment or two later, so I finished my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper...'
'Yes?'
'Were my biscuits.'
'What?' said Fenchurch. 'What?'
'True.'
'No!' She gasped and tossed herself back on the grass laughing. She sat up again.
'You complete nitwit,' she hooted, 'you almost completely and utterly foolish person.'

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(Welcome Closeyourmind. Post more often)

I don't have an exact quote, but I have often been intrigued by the idea that the secret to flying is the ability to fall down and miss the ground.

I have tried this on many occasions, but have never had the misfortune to actually miss the ground.

One time, after a bout of heavy alcoholic consumption, I was sure I would miss the ground, since it was dancing around and playing hard to get, but as luck would have it, I hit it farely easily.

[ November 14, 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
don't know if it's exact but:
"...only it was Phil than and you didn't have the extra head"

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepard
Member # 5613

- posted      Profile for Shepard   Email Shepard         Edit/Delete Post 
"42" But I guess thats the obvious one...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I’m doing this from memory

A long time ago, when men were real men, women were real women, and small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri...

From the same monologue

And men dared to ... boldly split infinitives that no man had split before. And thus was the empire formed.

And of course,

Why’s it all in hardware. Arthur’s daughter after disassembling his Swiss watch.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Also doing this from memory, so won't be completely verbatim, but you'll get the general gist, I'm sure...

"I refuse to prove that I exist" Says God, "for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing."

"But," Replies man, "The babelfish is such an incredibly useful creation, that it can only be seen as proof of your existance, and therefore, by your own rationale, you don't exist."

"Oh. I hadn't thought of that," says God and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Well that was easy." says mankind, then goes on to try to prove that black is white, and gets killed on a Zebra crossing.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note, Neil Gaiman has written a biography of Douglas Adams that came out two weeks ago. It's an intriguing read and presents a picture of a complex and often difficult -- but generally well-meaning -- man.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! The biography is out! I'm going to go to the bookstore tomorrow and pray they they have it. Along the lines of DNA, has anyone ever read his book "Last Chance to See?" Sadly, it was yes least sold book, but his favorite one to write, the man loved animals with a passion.
Also, has anyone ever played Starship Titanic? I've been trying to get a copy of the game, but haven't been able to find a single copy. :-(
Satyagraha

[ November 15, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most solutions seemed concerned with movements of small green pieces of paper, which was rather strange, since it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
Or Something to that effect; I seem to have mislaid my first book.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, yes and yes. I read that book when I found it on the shelf of a friend of mine. So I don't have a copy. It was great. I gather it was a BBC tv series he did, and this was the companion book.

I also played Starship Titanic a bit. I'm afraid it was on an old hard disk that died, though. It was sort of like a drawing room mystery. You went around and had dialogues with different characters to figure out what was going on. I didn't really get into it. Just read the first layer of dialogues.

Didn't you love the whole Rhino Climb thing in Salmon of Doubt? <laughs> "Mad Dogs having thrown in the towel long ago."

[ November 15, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
"... and then one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man was nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for change..."
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interview with Neil Gaiman about the Douglas Adams book he wrote ("Don't Panic") -- he wrote it in 1987, and for the new edition another writer added some more chapters to cover later stuff:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/advance/24_interview.html

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Update: just finished Don't Panic. It's a very smart read, with lots of fun bits of info about Hitchhiker's. It's not a regular biography -- it focuses on Hitchhiker's and other things Adams wrote. Very much recommended.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that dialogue kidred quoted is my favorite. It's something like:

Slartibartfast: We must hurry, or you'll be late.
A.D.: Late for what?
Slartibartfast: What is your name, earthman?
A.D.: Dent. Arthur Dent.
Slartibarfast: You will be late, as in the late Dentarthurdent. It's sort of a threat, you see. I'm afraid I'm not very good at them.

I really wanted John Cleese to play Slartibartfast in the movie.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there's casting news on the movie:

http://www.dailyhaggis.com/archives/film/000587.html

I'm already in love with Trillian.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] everyone useing all my fav quotes [Grumble]

[Wink]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
In reply to Dan's bit on flying, I actually use the quote in my IM profile so I've got it here.

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, The Universe, and Everything, Douglas Adams

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Two contestants would sit on either side of a table, with a glass in front of each of them.

Between them would be placed a bottle of Old Janx Spirit (as immortalized in that ancient Orion mining song, "Oh, don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit.")

Each of the two contestants would then concentrate their will on the bottle and attempt to tip it and pour spirit in the glass of his opponent, who would then have to drink it.

The bottle would then be refilled. The game would be played again. And again.

Once you started to lose you would probably keep losing, because one of the effects of Janx Spirit is to depress telepsychic power.

As soon as a predetermined quantity had been consumed, the final loser would have to perform a forfeit, which was usually obscenely biological.

Ford Prefect usually played to lose.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"he's so unhip, I'm amazed his bum doesn't fall off."

Prak on Truth:
There's not nearly as much of it as people suppose.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

This is going to keep me smiling for days.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
He felt his ribs, and it hurt. He felt his shoulder, and it hurt, too. So did his leg. Eventually he figured out that his wrist was sprained.

I think that was it. This is tough without the book, you know. By the way, did anyone understand exactly what went on with Ford as he got to earth in So Long and Thanks For All the Fish? Or was not getting it the point?

Some more:

This, clearly, was a man you only dared to cross with sherpas.

"The interesting thing about space," said Slartibartfast, "is how terribly dull it is."

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across a nice quote I thought I'd add.

"Arthur felt happy. He was terribly pleased that the day was for once working out so much according to plan. Only twenty minutes ago he had decided he would go mad, and now here he was already chasing a Chesterfield sofa across the fields of prehistoric Earth."

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites, which, like so many of my favorites, was left entirely out of the movie:

"Grunthos is reported to have been 'disappointed' by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his twelve-book epic entitled /My Favorite Gurgles/ when his own major intestine, in a desperate attempt to save life and civilization, leaped straight up through his neck and throttled his brain."

Another one I just stumbled on:

"Therefore we must be mad."
"Nice day for it."
"Yes," said a passing maniac.
"Who was that?" asked Arthur.
"Who--the man with the five heads and the elderberry bush full of kippers?"
"Yes."
"I don't know. Just someone."
"Ah."

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
" The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground.....and miss." I always liked that one myself.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.