FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ER Questions

Author Topic: ER Questions
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the show.

I had to go to the ER yesterday afternoon to stay with my brother-in-law. He had just been in on Sunday with what turned out to be a bad case of vertigo. They gave him some drugs which seemed to help for a few days, but then it got real bad again yesterday and he had to go back.

They decided to do an MRI on him and after it was done, we were waiting for the results. At some point, we noticed that the nurses and doctors had for the most part stopped coming into the room (there were 3 other patients in the room).

After sticking my head out the door, I found out someone was coding and they were trying to save him. All the doctors and nurses were gathered outside the room watching and talking amongst themselves.

Why were they doing that? I completely understand and agree that saving this man's life was paramount, but it almost seemed like and audience had gathered to watch. Was it a learning experience? Were they all supposed to remain available in case they were needed for some reason?

I found out later that the guy didn't make it. [Frown]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't exactly reply for the ER

But I used to work on an ambulance. And we would take patients INTO the ER -- so I know the phenomenon that you are talking about.

I don't know that I can explain it. When there is a person's life in the balance -- it is like a draw to those in the medical profession. We all want to be able to DO something! Have some part in saving the life. And I can't even begin to explain to you the feeling/rush that happens when someone has coded, then you suddenly see their heatbeat return and their lungs gasp for breath again (remember the scene in the original Matrix, where Neo is flatline, then suddenly takes a breath? There is definately a rush with it).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I hate that moment, when everyone is trying to revive someone in the ER.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has been revived, there is nothing more nerve racking than to wake up in a room full of people you don't know staring at you and see them sparkly from your lack of oxygen
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o Whoa, Arthur...

But I'd think that eventually the relief would overwhelm the weirdness.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also nerve wracking to be the husband pushed to the side while they work at reviving your wife, believe me.

::waves at his wife::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
There are many different reasons why everyone gathers at a code. There are certain doctors and nurses who are specifically supposed to run to a code and help out. A pharmacist often shows up to help manage the code meds. A respiratory therapist always comes to assist with the breathing. Then there are doctors and nurses that happened to be nearby and want to help out. If there are any medical students, nursing students, or other new health care workers they DO need to watch and see what happens during a code, what the procedure is, and to take part if possible. For example, the CPR (chest compression part) is usually done by the youngest, newest workers present and sometimes several will take turns doing it. Furthermore it is amazing how many things need to be done during a code. There may be IVs being started on both arms while a third nurse draws blood. Other nurses will be drawing up medications or arranging IV lines. One nurse will be dedicated to recording exactly what happens, what meds are given, what the EKG shows, etc. When something else is needed the people in the room holler out to the ones in the doorway what they need. So, many of those people in the "audience" are actually serving a function. Others feel worried about leaving in case they are needed. There is nothing worse that running a code without enough people around. Sometimes hardly anyone sticks around and helps out after the first few exciting minutes. Better too many, I say, and then everyone can learn from the experience. I still have vivid nightmares in which I relive some of the codes I participated in as a resident. Those codes really stick in the memory. Because of all the adrenaline, probably.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.