FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Asteroid Impact thread - Alas, Mastodon (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Asteroid Impact thread - Alas, Mastodon
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Impact on North America 13,000 years ago kills off megafauna, including mastodons, woolly mammoths, big sloths, etc. according to a new theory.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/home/54830807.html

Synopsis is there. For the full article you have to get the magazine. The magazine is really interesting and a great source of astronomical information, in case anyone wants to get it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the thread title change, Tatiana!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Thanks. =)

Btw, there's also a podcast linked from the article that should be free.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread title is indeed funny. I must say I preferred the old theory, though, that humans wiped them out.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be down, KoM. I'm sure we still helped.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, but "Helping a giant meteor impact" just doesn't have the same visceral satisfaction as "Wiping out megafauna with nothing but stone spears". It doesn't feel the same when the species in question has had a bloody great rock heaved at it and you're just kicking it when it's down. [Frown]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
50kiloton blast over Sulawesi, Indonesia
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I want to point out that a huge hazard to the world that I first discussed and urged action on 10 years ago is finally becoming a topic to which the government is paying attention. Next year the U.S. Government will publish a plan to deal with asteroid impacts.

So, finally this is being taken seriously, thank goodness. I just want to point out that I recognized this hazard and began pointing it out over 10 years ago.

I had to do this as an engineer several times, too, before I got my coworkers to begin listening to my ideas. As a female with a soft voice, I was often overlooked on the jobsite until I pointed out to my coworkers that I understood what was going on in several situations well before they did, and tried to tell them what I knew, and they didn't listen. Of course by the time the problem was resolved they had all forgotten what I said originally, hence the need to remind them. After this happened 3 or 6 or 10 times, they began to listen up front as well.

So this is not to say nyah nyah I told you so, though of course my heart isn't entirely free of any hints of that sort of feeling. =) This is just to document the situation so that we may recognize solutions to future problems more quickly.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Over the past 3 years, a loosely confederated group of researchers has argued that an asteroid or comet struck North America about 13,000 years ago, wiping out the woolly mammoth, the giant sloth, and other large animals.
Experts say they have shot down most of the supposed evidence, but one finding remained: nano-scale diamond crystals that could have formed only under the extreme pressure of an impact. Now, a group of experts has dismissed this evidence as well, putting what many see as the final nail in the coffin of the mammoth-killer impact."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I just attended a seminar discussing extreme volcanic explosions as the likely cause of the major extinction events in the Earth's history. There is more evidence for correlation (and this guy says causation) of extinction events and flood basalt formation than of extinctions and impacts.

He went through all of the evidence of high-pressure build up of carbon dioxide under certain crustal features, which then explode and create many of the features previously associated with impact events. Also, many of the "ground zeros" are near flood basalt, but the flood basalt layers extend far below the impact layer. Simply put: the impacts cannot be the cause of the flood basalts, and they are too often found together to be simple coincidence. Instead, it seems more likely that the flood basalt is a symptom of extreme high pressure which theoretically leads to huge explosions, leaking carbon dioxide, sulfur, and other toxic gases into the atmosphere.

Here's a link describing a little of what he gave in today's seminar.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

This issue of Sky and Telescope will hit the newsstands soon. I just wanted to point out the story to those who have an interest in this subject, and incidentally keep this thread alive. =)
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
NEOShield to assess Earth defence
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the people on this thread taking this topic seriously are morons. On the off chance, that an asteroid large enough to do serious damage to the Earth came near in its orbit, at least one of the advanced nations on this planet would detect it in time. Our resources are better spent fighting actual threats like global warming and overpopulation than random juvenile delusions straight out of a bad Sci-Fi novel.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Insightful.

No, wait. That other thing.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZachC:
All of the people on this thread taking this topic seriously are morons. On the off chance, that an asteroid large enough to do serious damage to the Earth came near in its orbit, at least one of the advanced nations on this planet would detect it in time. Our resources are better spent fighting actual threats like global warming and overpopulation than random juvenile delusions straight out of a bad Sci-Fi novel.

I read that as "are mormons" at first and wondered why some people were being excluded.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's true that only mormons have the wisdom and foresight to care about catastrophic asteroid impacts. The rest of us are too high on caffeine, nicotine, and premarital sex to notice.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* Sounds like you must have read the pamphlets, already.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.