FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 600,000 years later - No defense

Author Topic: 600,000 years later - No defense
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate's post on asteroid defense reminded me of a special I saw once on Yellowstone. Pretty much the entire park is sitting right on top of a supervolcano that erupts once every 600,000 years or so, causing what we've come to term a "nuclear winter". Guess what? We're overdue.

The Yellowstone caldera has also been showing the typical signs of a volcano about to erupt (gysers, tremors, etc.) for decades so geologists really have no idea if or when it will do so. But what tipped them off in the first place? For one, trees started sinking. Or rather, one of the lakes seemed to have started moving. The caldera began rising significantly enough to push the water of one of the lakes of yellowstone into areas that had once been dry.

I suppose my only point was that sources of a potential apocalypse exist right here at home as well as in space and that such things may simply be inevitable. I mean, how do you stop something on that large a scale when you are likely to have little to no prior knowledge of the event and few or no means with which to prevent it?

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Um, thanks for the encouraging thoughts, Pixie!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a program on this. When the volcano blows, which should be any time now, North America will be totally destroyed and the whole world plunged into permanent winter for four years, so not much food. Last time this happened (thousands of years ago) there were only about a hundred thousand people left when the sun came out again.

A bit disturbing really.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...how many people were there in North America thousands of years ago before the eruption?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
um...
how will the whole world be affected by just one volcano?
what if we live on the other side of it?
(please excuse my ignorance..)

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't in North America the first time. I think it was somewhere in Asia. I don't know how many people there were, but clearly a lot more than a hundred thousand.
The main point which worries me is that without the sun food doesn't grow, and I for one do not want to starve to death. So I'm hoping that it doesn't happen for a few hundred years.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
The valcano will spew out ash that will travel through the air causing less sun to get through. This lower temperatures and less things grow.

I suppose I could be glad I'm sitting on the correct continent to not have to worry about what to do after such a thing happen. [Smile]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

Oh, and I'm not a geologist, I'm only working on what these scientists on the BBC said about a year ago. I think the volcano throws ash into the atmosphere or something and so the sunlight can't get through.
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

Wow, people type really fast round here.
raphael
Member # 5870

is there anything to do against it?
can't we plug the volcano up or something? (maby something more scientific but around the same lines?)

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

Nope. [Angst]
raphael
Member # 5870

oh, well that definitly cheered us all up . or at least me. how can there be NOTHING?
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

'Cos in real life there isn't always something you can do. Having a last minute magic plan which sorts everything out is mostly the reserve of movies and books.
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we could move to the moon. Or to mars. Interesting I'd never thought of this but perhaps the reason humanity will have to expand beyond its planet is for survival. But not because they've wrecked it but because sometimes stuff just happens. *ponders*
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

you know, after all the stuff we've done to the enviorment i kinda think we deserve whatevers comeing our way
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

Not sure you'll still have that opinion when the end is nigh. If you do, tell me and if I'm not too busy cowering under a table somewhere in abject fear, I'll really respect you.

[ November 15, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Sugar+Spice ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

We've been doing ecology in science and talking about how when a species gets too big nature does something to make it smaller, ie. sickness, limited ability to reproduce, etc. It seems to me that humans are overdue for this process as well, or maybe it's started but we've just been out-smarting it with medicine and modern science... Now it's trying harder?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I say?

wait for it...

--I--

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps we could move to the moon. Or to mars. Interesting I'd never thought of this but perhaps the reason humanity will have to expand beyond its planet is for survival. But not because they've wrecked it but because sometimes stuff just happens. *ponders*
I was thinking we could get a really, really, really big tube that stretches into space, and then aim it at a planet we don't care about (like Pluto).
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a pretty big tube. Maybe if we launch it just right we can glue shut the San Andreas Fault.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Richard Gere might have a tube like that kicking around somewhere. It's got some scrabble marks on the inside, though...
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I don't think there is a way to stop something like that.

But asteroids, we CAN stop, if only we get to work on the problem in time. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, ssywak

I dunno. I don't think it would be as big of a deal. I mean, we have electric lights and heaters, and as of right now we don't live in the matrix so our power doesn't come from the sun. It comes from coal and oil and nuclear power. So, we could probably create enough food in the affluent countries to maintain a sizeable percentage (number pulled out of butt: 30%). Sure, places like Kenya would be toast. But we've got greenhouses, and UV lights, and enough twinkies and beef jerky to last us for ages. [Smile]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I wonder if reincarnation works on a multiple planet scale? It would be kinda conceited to think that it didn't, I suppose. I've never thought of this before. Thank you, AK and Pixie, for forcing me to think beyond the little box.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

i don't know if this has anything to do with this thread but i heard somewhere that we're coming close to a nother ice age (because of the ice thats melting in the poles. has something to do with floods and stuff ) would this volcano stop it?
maby you really cant lose a lot without gaining a little

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Run, Annie!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon:
quote:
We've been doing ecology in science and talking about how when a species gets too big nature does something to make it smaller, ie. sickness, limited ability to reproduce, etc. It seems to me that humans are overdue for this process as well, or maybe it's started but we've just been out-smarting it with medicine and modern science... Now it's trying harder?
Let's try not to anthropomorphise things unnecessarily, shall we?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's try not to anthropomorphise things unnecessarily, shall we?
INDEED.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC's page about the program mentioned above

Transcript of the program

Interesting stuff.

Here's what the USGS has to say about it.

Edit to add USGS page about the bulge under the lake

[ November 17, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Magson ]

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh. Pretty.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.