FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you among the 2%? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Are you among the 2%?
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I exclaimed, SIX! *giggle* And then realized I should be naming a vegetable, which prompted the mundane carrot. Ugh.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why seemingly if not 98% of the people say carrot, at least a larger majority of people say carrot in adverse to any other vegetable (or thing that might be mistaken as a vegetable). But why? I went back to look at the original post for clues...and then noticed that when it asks you to think of a vegetable, it tells you to "arrow down" in adverse to scroll down, I'm not sure about how other people think, but I personally imagined an arrow pointing down when it said that (as I imagined the number six in the back of my head earlier), and I matched a vegetable that fit the shape of the arrow...the first that came to mind was the carrot, I suppose the reason I thought of a carrot in adverse to say a turnip or a white radish is because it's either more popular, or because right before I was thinking of how many I needed to put into the beef stew that I'll be cooking for dinner tonight...any other thoughts?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been asking people on AIM: "Don't think about it! Just say a name of a vegetable!" and I keep getting carrot.

I don't think the sixes or arrows have anything to do with it -- carrots are simply ubiquitous in our culture. A Google search pulled up 1,430,000 results for "carrot"!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Then what about other vegetables? Google pulls up over 4,000,000 when you look for tomatoes (I know, fruit), and potatoes. Though my argument is shot to high hell because that's how you asked people online. Though the sixes come into play as it completely clears your mind of anything else...
Satyagraha

[ November 16, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oops, I forgot to do comparative searches -- bad Rivka! [No No]

And tomatoes ARE vegetables. The fact that they are botanically fruit is irrelevant. "Vegetable" is not a botanical term.

[ November 16, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Pooka's thread first, got tomato, then thought "Is that a vegetable? Hmmmm... Should have thought carrot - that's a vegetable." So gues what I thought of when reading this thread?

[Wink]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a picture of a carrot in my mind, but I couldn't find the word, so I said potato. I'm part of the 2%, but am I also senile? Because if so I'm scared. 16 is too young to be senile.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought of cabbage.
does this have anything to do with me not being american?
maby like, chineese people think differently or something?(i'm not chinese either but thats not the point

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Zuccini here. Hey Kayla- wanna start a club? [Smile]
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fos4snt
Member # 5935

- posted      Profile for fos4snt   Email fos4snt         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but I thought of a rutabaga, and I have never even seen one in my life. [Eek!] But, I always think of the weirdest things when asked spur of the moment questions like that.

Hmmm...

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomato here. [Blushing]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that everyone who said "potato" had second thoughts about it. Is a potato inherently a wishy-washy sort of vegetable?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Cucumber.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tom, it has far less nutritional value than your average vegetable. [Dont Know] And that's before it's fried, slathered with butter, or anything else.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
rutabaga. what IS a rutabaga?!
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of a carrot, but ask me to think of a vegetable a hundred times and I'll say carrot a hundred times because that's the only vegetable I ever think of.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten this test before on e-mails, and I always forget the ending. Each time I've been in the 2% though. I guess I'm just weird.

Is squash a vegetable? Or is it in the freak fruit/vegetable category?

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
On yahoo, there were 900,000 for carrot and over 3 million for tomato. Of course tomato doesn't count because its a fruit.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers* I love broccoli! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find amusing is how many people aren't "different" so much as they are "idiots".

Name a vegetable, Ralph.
Pencil!

Ok, it's not from the Simpsons, but it sounds like it could be.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought swordfish...I bet no one would have ever thought of swordfish.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I got carrot - and I hate carrots. So strange. [Dont Know]

I asked Dan to "quick, name a vegetable!" and he said okra. [Confused] We never eat okra!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I did this, many moons ago, I said "asparagus." I had just had some to eat, though, which could have skewed the results. This time, it was around the second addition question that I thought, "Oh, I'm supposed to think of a carrot." So my results were skewed this time, too.

I'm skeptical of nearly every percentage that sounds untrue. Someone tried a "tell the gender of the child" formula and claimed it was correct 96% of the time. So when it's wrong once, it's correct for 24 other people? Get any random sample of 25 and I guarantee it's wrong more than once. And get any fifty people, Hatrackers or no, and more than one will say something other than a carrot.

56% of all statistics are made up, you know.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Cucumber.

Oh dear.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "potato." Then I thought, "wait, is a potato a vegetable?" So then I thought "broccoli." (sp?) And then I thought, "no, potatoes are definitely vegetables," but I decided I liked "broccoli" better anyway, so I stuck with that. [Smile]

I think you may be onto something, Frisco, with that autism thing and response time (even though you were mostly joking). I tend to process very slowly, and I often come up high on some of those autism tests.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, beet.

Are carrots really vegetables?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cucumber
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the arrow down theory would actually apply to cucumber too.

I must have had some sort of free assosciation going on in my brain. I saw orange and my first thought was an orange, then I went wait, that's a fruit, ok carrot.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought apricots...then realized that wasn't a correct answer and thought tomato. Then I thought, is it a fruit too? But then I thought that while it's a "fruit" we use it in cooking as a vegetable so that's my final answer. Tomato.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Cucumber.

Not a veggie? Never heard that before. As someone else said earlier (maybe not about cukes, but it fits) - It goes on a salad? It's a vegetable.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, it looks like cucumber is winning for Hatrackers.

Why on earth? Did everyone have a salad yesterday?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Salad. Yeah. That's why you thought "cucumber."
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out (in support of the "arrow down" hypothesis) that the words "carrot" and "arrow" share a common substring (whose length is left as an exercise for the reader).
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Taunt] to Moose.

I think I thought of cucumber because I'm moving, and I looked through the fridge yesterday, and I realized that the only fresh vegetable I own is a cucumber in the bottom drawer, and now I'm scared to open the drawer because I have no idea when I bought it.

[ November 17, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
stupid carrot!
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jedi_Kyle
Member # 5939

- posted      Profile for Jedi_Kyle   Email Jedi_Kyle         Edit/Delete Post 
First I tought of a carrot. Then I thought of a ferrit. Then Barret (from FF7.) Then the word merit. [ROFL]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Katarn
Member # 3567

- posted      Profile for Kyle Katarn   Email Kyle Katarn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm Kyle Katarn, Jedi. And don't you forget it!
Posts: 85 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought carrot too, but my friend's response was elderberry. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I think she created her own percentile.
That was hilarious.

I expected Bob to make me laugh. I like this response better.

And yes, I thought of Carrot. Happy. Must mean I'm not in the elite 2% of the carrot hating culture. Well, I like carrots (some say a little too much, but hey, keep my private life out of this discussion, besides, it was single and free on a Saturday night and I needed someone to take to the Prom, but I digress). I like Carrots, and I'll say carrots as often as I like. If the Tomato Lobby, or the Squid Squad think they are better because they were more original, well I don't care what you Asparagus Nazi's say. I'm a Carrot Lover and proud of it.

Ooops, apparently its time for my medication.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of three possible explanations:
1) The correlation between the number six and the number of letters in "carrot". (This would cover those who said "potato" and "tomato" as well)
2)The visual that "ARROw" has four letters in the smae sequence as in "cARROt".
3)The correlation between the word "arrow" and "carrot"(ARR-ow, cARRot, talking about sounds here - those who said tomatO and potatO might have been focusing on the O in arrOw).

Considering the 98% thing(assuming it's true), I think it would be a combination of of 2 and 3. I just flat out don't believe number 1 because I don't think there's an association between six and all the words in my brain that have six letters.

Btw, I said tomato.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it interesting that everyone who said "potato" had second thoughts about it. Is a potato inherently a wishy-washy sort of vegetable?
First of all, don't potatoes need washing more than most other vegetables, accounting for the wishy-washity? Second, I didn't have seconds thoughts when I picked potato, I just couldn't think of the word for carrot! [Blushing]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen one of these before. On the other thread I thought of Carrot. On this one, I thought of Potato. I think it had something to do with the numbers, though. I always associate the number 7 with carrots for some reason.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought, "Uhh... a vegetable... Cucumber!"

Then I thought, "Gee, I wonder what that says about me?"

Then I read the rest of the thread and saw that Kayla had already made that joke.

Then I was sad.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The cucumber is winning.

What does this say about Hatrack?

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I don't buy the whole "if it goes on a salad" criterion. One of my favorite salads (I first had it at my father-in-law's restaurant) is baby field greens, toasted walnuts, roquefort cheese, green apple slices, with a raspberry vinaigrette, and I think you'd have a hard time calling walnuts or apples vegetables.

OK, so I've now described my favorite salad, properly spelled the word "vinaigrette," and thought of a cucumber. I'm sure that there must be a pattern here, but I don't know what it is.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm, I dunno about patterns, but I think I'll make cucumber salad and Waldorf salad for the next Shinda. [Big Grin]
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought of a tomato, even though i've known for a while that a tomato's really a fruit. wonder what that's about .... [Dont Know]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercomplicated
Member # 5160

- posted      Profile for supercomplicated   Email supercomplicated         Edit/Delete Post 
Cucumber.

About the comments on the number of letters in a word - I totally do that, probably because I'm a math person. When I can't remember someone's name, I can always seem to remember the number of letters in their name... weirdness. Oh well.

Posts: 22 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You got me. I said carrot.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I also though "Rutabega". I blame it on Frank Zappa.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Technically tomatoes are fruit. However, there was some sort of lawsuit, and it was determined that legally (for import/export/tax purposes) tomatoes are a vegetable. So it's both. Technically fruit, legally vegetable. Um...Yeah. *tries to comprehend*
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.