FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Eddie to the rescue; or, every time you use the hug emoticon, God kills a kitten.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor, naive Icarus.

*pat pat*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

They're smilies, you sickos!

[Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> Papa Moose, I can't recall ever having hugged you. So I don't know why you should complain about my pointy elbows.

Smilies don't bother me much, but in the name of all that is holy, please stop the dobies! <grins>

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies are funny much more frequently than smilies are.

And while I do enjoy the "angry, flipping you off" smilie, I think the original 11 are more than sufficient when it comes to helping communication.

Well, maybe the muttering one and the head bashing ones should stay. Unfortunately, too many people have overused the head bashing one to the point where it's not really paid any attention.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(((((cats)))))
This really disturbed me in light of what Xavier said about the female anatomy.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be worse if it were Richard Gere's world, and (((gerbils))) rather than cats.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have to throw in my 2¢. These smilies are annoying. But by far the worst are the wave and party ones. The hug is a close third. This wouldn't be a problem is people didn't overuse them so wantonly. They have become an eyesore, and I'm sick of them. If we want the board to become more colourful, I think allowing small avatars or sig pics would be a better option. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to sign off with an angry emoticon. And a true one in ASCII.

>_< ..|.
this one's better, Mack, admit it.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
[Razz]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[The Wave]
[Razz]

LEARN COMEDY HERE!!! GENIUS AT WORK!!!
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you. *bows*
Or was that sarcasm? [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
Smileys are nice, how could there be fooling around on hatrack without them?

I could not post without the wallbash.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I would have to say this one is my favorite. [Razz]
Or maybe this one. [Evil Laugh]
Hmmmm...or this one. [Big Grin]
Aaaaaannnnd...this one. [Wink]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smileys are nice, how could there be fooling around on hatrack without them?
I think this question proves Ralphie's point that smilies are killing The Funny.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Uh huh.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Actually, the one smiley I'd LOVE to see is an angel smiley with a halo. A little bug-eyed green martian face would be kinda cool, too....
Jeni
Member # 1454

In case you haven't noticed, this is not a Smiley Appreciation Thread.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I know. I'm "secretly" trying to hijack it...
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is for complaining only, get out.

Man do I hate those smileys, they really bother me in a significant way; enough to make me post about how they effect my life in the worst ways imaginable.

Every time I see a smiley being used, it makes me mad deep down inside.

>> Guys, if it were not for smileys then you would have to find other ways of feeling smugly superior to half the people who post here.

[ November 21, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Desu ]

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Awww...don't be mad. [Frown] (technically, that's not a smiley-it's a frowney)

I thought you were working on a paper? Tsk, tsk...

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Desu: Right On. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

[Razz]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*thumbs up to Jeni*
[Big Grin]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles under breath at Ralphie::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahurtado
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for ahurtado   Email ahurtado         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here and a bit slow on the uptake. What's a dobie?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

A thread parody.

For instance:

Original thread title:
A Hatrack T-Shirt

Parody thread title:
A Hatrack T-Smith (which would be all about yours truly)

Word to the wise, don't run amok with dobies. In fact, just sit back and enjoy them.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about if, in a similar vein, checking on "Disable Graemlins in this post" in the very first post in a thread disabled them for the entire thread? That way, people who don't like graemlins could at least keep them out of their own threads.
I love that idea Icarus!
I might even just give it the horrible.....the terrifying.... the
[The Wave]

Hah hah! [Razz]

I like all the old ones, but there are a few of the new ones I like: [Taunt] , [Dont Know] , [Wall Bash] , [Kiss] , [Grumble] . Other than that, the old ones are the ones I use. I don't really use them that often.

Oh, and just for good measure:
[Group Hug]

The only thing missing is the flaming barrel that they look like they're gathered around.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
>> Guys, if it were not for smileys then you would have to find other ways of feeling smugly superior to half the people who post here.
I actually don't require smilies for that.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Ooooooh....busted!
*cheers Ralphie*

Ralphie
Member # 1565

No cheering. You're going to make me start feeling bad for being sarcastic to you, and we can't have that.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*is shocked*
So it WAS sarcasm?
[Cry]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] TeeHee

[ November 22, 2003, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve Nandiriel wrote:
quote:
Ooooooh....busted!
*cheers Ralphie*

This is seriously poetic irony. Ralphie couldn't avoid the luvin' if she tried...and she has.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

grrr...everybody, stop being sarcastic at me!
[Cry]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if God didn't kill enough kittens, what would he be feeding all the dogs that reportedly go to Heaven?

(my theology is based around there *not* being any dogs there when I get to Heaven)

"Come on, people now, smile on your brother
Everybody get together, try to love one another right now."

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
GOD DOESN'T KILL KITTENS! GOD IS THE EPITOME OF GOOD! SO ARE KITTENS!

So there.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

BTW Ophelia, your roommate has cats, not kittens, so you're outa luck.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, dude. God's a bit of a prick, if you look at his track record. I mean, what was up with the Garden of Eden? God gives us "free will," then denies Adam and Eve any sort of knowledge with which to act upon their free will. Satan set us free by giving us knowledge -- and for the rest of the Bible, the poor dude's lambasted as an evil demon.

Not to mention, God kicks Adam and Eve out of the garden once they learn a little. Heh. Someone has a compensation problem...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Silly Eddie.

::pat pat::

You go kill your kittens.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
This is seriously poetic irony. Ralphie couldn't avoid the luvin' if she tried...and she has.
People keep encouraging my bad behavior.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[No No] She's already mean enough.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

She needs Rita.
O Spankmistress, where art thou?

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Now THAT'S ironic!
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Black Mage:
quote:
GOD IS THE EPITOME OF GOOD! SO ARE KITTENS!
I agree with the first part, but not the latter. [Razz]

Lalo:

quote:
I don't know, dude. God's a bit of a prick, if you look at his track record. I mean, what was up with the Garden of Eden? God gives us "free will," then denies Adam and Eve any sort of knowledge with which to act upon their free will. Satan set us free by giving us knowledge -- and for the rest of the Bible, the poor dude's lambasted as an evil demon.

Not to mention, God kicks Adam and Eve out of the garden once they learn a little. Heh. Someone has a compensation problem...

That is easily refuted (even if it's sarcastic), but I don't want to hijack your thread. If you're interested, you could start another thread or email me. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

don't be mean to the kitties. ..
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should simply be a switch that allows you to switch off the smilies.

Or kills anyone who uses them.

either of those two would work.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

(((((kittens)))))
There is something that says "disable graemlins in this post".

Black Mage
Member # 5800

[Eek!] I think he means switch off all smilies! [Eek!]

I say we host smilie day in this thread. Hi Jack.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Hi Jack! [Wave]
Nice to see you again! [Big Grin]
(((((Jack))))) [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, a thread hijack? Where do I sign up?

[Wave] Jack.

[Taunt]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Wave] Rivka

You can sign up right here. [Big Grin]

(((((Jack))))) [Wink]

Tigers rule. [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.