FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What PJ got right in LOTR

Author Topic: What PJ got right in LOTR
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a lot of talk about how PJ screwed up the LOTR and I think many of those people need to get a life. I want to talk about the things that PJ got right in LOTR.

First, the Shire. I thought PJ did a wonderful job of bringing the Shire and Hobbiton and Bag-End to life. Just spectacular.

Second, the Balrog. One of the most amazing things of the first movie.

Third, Rivendell.

Fourth, the casting. Not the obvious ones. I think Ian Holme as Bilbo stole the first movie. Sean Astin as Sam was a masterstroke. Sir Ian as Gandalf was great. Many others. I am still not sure about Viggo as Aragorn, but I will say he has done a wonderful job. I just think his voice is a little high. Overall the casting has been wonderful.

The Helms Deep set. Meduseld. All of Rohan has been done very well.

Anything else?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Gollum: We all know he did a great job with this character but think about how it could have gone. His attention to detail made Gollum a real character and not a Dobie or Jar-Jar that looks like CG. He could have also gone with a real actor in make-up. His choice and attitude toward this character were truley masterful.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Peter Jackson has done an absolutely fantastic job of capturing virtually every environment Tolkein described. Time after time, I've been startled by how absolutely right he's gotten each setting. Moria, Meduseld, Orthanc, what we've seen of Gondor, Rivendell, The Shire...I can't imagine how he could have done a better job on any of these.

The Nazgul are fantastic, as is the Balrog. Gollum too. The orcs don't look quite as I'd pictured them, but it works.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"There has been a lot of talk about how PJ screwed up the LOTR and I think many of those people need to get a life."

Perhaps the people arguing about the movie, in general, need to get lives. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Tom

My wife and two kids, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, two churches, yard work, real life work and all the other things says I have a real life. I admit to being a bit over the top on PJ and the LOTR. I personally think we are seeing history in the making. LOTR will be up there with the classics.

A guy has to have something to look forward to.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just feel that LotR is ALREADY up there with the classics, in book form, and so there's no need to obsess. [Smile] Its legacy's already pretty assured, regardless of what Jackson does.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, m. The hubby was very angry about TT (I guess we'll see if the EE softens his opinion), but I am generally pleased.

I'm really looking forward to the Frodo/Sam/Gollum stuff in RotK. Somehow, I'm fairly certain he'll nail it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Tom I know it is already a classic for the book, but I am talking about the movie. Nothing PJ could have done, either way, would have hurt the book. But PJ is making his own mark on the world now.

Another thing I think he got right was the scene with Galadriel and her fountain. I was listening to FOTR on audio book and just listened to that part. I think he did a very good rendition of that scene.

msquared

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Did I miss something? I've been holed up all weekend playing The Hobbit and rewatching The Fellowship of the Ring in preparation for the release of The Two Towers Special Edition TOMORROW!

[ November 17, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Okay, msquared, I was with you up 'til the point you mentioned Galadriel and the mirror -- which is, IMO, the single worst and most tone-deaf scene in the whole trilogy so far. [Smile]

[ November 17, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.