FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is up with Adam Sandler

Author Topic: What is up with Adam Sandler
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my husband is a definate fan of Adam Sandler. I like him, for the most part too. He is a likable guy, and his movies typically have a pretty good moral.

But what is up with the potty humor? We watched Eight Crazy Nights last night, and I think I could honestly say that if an editor had gotten control of his impulse to spew bodily wastes all over, it would have been far more successful. I can handle a bit of grossness here and there, but he seems to insert it pointlessly, and over the top, so that I get past the grossed out stage and become confused. One thing was for sure, I wasn't laughing. And neither was my husband.

[ November 17, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with you on that, Ami. It something that I've used to describe some of Sandlers films to my friends, that it has some good parts about it, covered in extra crap that basically ruins most of the movies good parts, IMO.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I personally can't stand Adam Sandler. I find him completely, utterly, ridiculously, stupidly unfunny. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well some people do like potty humour.

I usually like Sandler's movies, but 8 crazy nights was not one I particularly enjoyed.

There is nothing wrong with low-brow humour. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Woody Allen's nebbish humour turns my stomach so I don't watch his movies.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Happy Gilmore. I don't think I've the others. Wedding Singer? That was cheerful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, "Punch Drunk Love" was a phenomenal movie. Apparently, scripted with Sandler in mind. Completely breaks him out of the screaming, obnoxious, potty humor styling. I really liked the film.

I liked it so much that I bought two copies of the DVD: one for me and one for the lovely Bonduca.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Raia.

I never saw Punch-Drunk Love, but I keep hearing it's great. But the problem is, I keep hearing that other movies by him are great, which I've seen and hated, so I'm afraid to take a chance on it. I suppose eventually it'll be on TV. I have free premuim channels for another month or two . . . any chance of it being on HBO in that time?

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed most of Sandler's movies but I always check my brain at the door before watching them. You have to go in knowing it is going to be dumb. I am extremely immature so most of his humor appeals to the 10 year old boy in me. But some of it is tough to stomach, like The Waterboy and Little Nickey. Haven't seen 8 Crazy Nights but it doesn't look like it is very good.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
In Punch Drunk Love he isn't being funny, so you don't have to worry about that. There's actually things like characters and story and the like.
And Sandler's neurotic character is great. I don't know if I've ever felt so uncomfortable in a movie. So much so that I don't know if I want to see it again, but in a really good way.
Look, it'll make more sense once you've seen the movie [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

Megachirops,

Punch Drunk Love is unlike any of Sandler's other movies. As Bob the Lawyer pointed out, it's not Adam Sandler being Adam Sandler, but rather an actual movie with, like, scripts, and characters, and motivations and all that fancy stuff.

Sandler's performance is nicely understated. Think of Jim Carey in The Truman Show. The idea is very similar: a comedian (to use the term generously in both cases) brought under the reign of an extremely talented director and with a very talented supporting cast, is given a chance to show he can act. Both Carey and Sandler have shown that they can.

Carey went on to star in The Majestic and Man on the Moon, which were both acting triumphs for him (the latter more than the former).

Perhaps we can expect similar great things from Sandler. It's too early to tell, but from what I saw in Punch Drunk Love, I wouldn't rule it out at least. In it, he shows at least the potential for being a very fine actor.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Punch Drunk Love.

My only real problem with it was when (without giving it away), Sandler's character goes through a bit of a "change," and the change seemed to come too fast (to me) without a logical reason.

But the movie was really interesting, and kind of weird. And all those sisters were frightening. The sister that swears at him on the phone was HIL-AR-I-OUS. The brothers from Provo were bizarre.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

By the way, of his "wacky" movies, Bonduca and I enjoyed (but didn't love) "Big Daddy". Not a stellar movie by any definition, but it was very funny in places and had a bit of heart.

But Punch Drunk Love is head and shoulders over it, in my opinion.

Now mind you, Punch Drunk Love is quite quirky and the pacing is not rapid-fire. It may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Jeff

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

Sweet William,

You are descending into spoiler territory. Perhaps you can edit your message just a wee bit...?

Jeff

Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
There is pretty much nothing in my post that couldn't be read on the back of the video box.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

Like I said .... :-)

I try to avoid reading the boxes, I avoid watching trailers, and I avoid tv and radio advertisements. Their goal is to get you to see the movie: not enjoy it. They have no qualms whatsoever about putting in all sorts of spoilers.

What you posted would have upset me had I not already seen the movie.

Jeff

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
You avoid watching trailers?! Then how do you know which movie to go see(yes I know that magazines and newspapers exist that may inform you about what is playing)? I get to the theater early to make sure I don't miss the trailers! And some things in trailers don't get shown in the movie, so you're waiting and you're waiting and it never comes and you're all disappointed...okay, maybe you have a point about trailers. But I still love getting all psyched up about a movie from the trailer for weeks before I actually go see it.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

JNSB,

Well, you have to understand, I'm a huge movie buff. How do I know which movies to watch? Easy: I watch 'em all, sooner or later.

But usually, I rent them and watch them on my home theater. I only go to the theaters for the truly big-screen movies: Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars, etc. Everything else, is relegated to my 40" widescreen. [Smile]

Jeff

GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, I bought my sister the Adam Sandler CD because she loved the Channukah Song. Needless to say, my parents flipped out when they heard some of the other things on there.

Such a potty mouth.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.