FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Wicker Man, Woad Is Me

Author Topic: The Wicker Man, Woad Is Me
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else seen this old and very creepy Mystery/Musical/Horror Movie?

*shudder*

Ron and I watched it last night, and it was one of the most unusual things I've ever seen. It stars a shockingly young-looking Edward Woodward as a very strict Christian police officer who goes to a strange island off the coast of Scotland to investigate a report of a missing child.

The people of Summerisle are up to something, but he has a lot of trouble finding out what it is because he's too busy being outraged by their pagan religious practices (It takes place in the few days just before May Day, and Celtic Wierdness abounds)

The leader of the island, Lord Summerisle (played by an equally shockingly young-looking Christopher Lee) is also a Pagan True Believer, which puts him nicely at odds with the devout Christian investigator.

It was made in the early seventies, and it sort of shows (one wonders how so many Swedish blondes ended up on a Scottish Island) but it holds many twists and surprises along the way (Christopher Lee leading a parade in drag! Frog sucking! REAL breasts!).

Seriously, folks. Check it out.

[ November 18, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, I wish, I wish. I've heard about this movie so many times, but it is nigh on impossible to get a hold of it.

Where'd you find it, Olivet?

And have you heard the rumours of a remake with Nicholas Cage?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in college as part of a course on Mythology. It was about 15 years ago, so I don't remember much other than that it was strange.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Netflix has it. I've added it to my queue.

I really like this system. Someone reccommends a movie, I immediately add it, and then I don't have to try to remember what the heck it was the next time I'm in the video store.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks of DKW watching this movie, and his brain melts*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Why?

[ November 18, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, um...
*crosses hands*
*fidgets*
*shuffles feet*

I'll, um, wait over here for someone else to answer that question. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I saw it through Netflix.

It is truly bizarre. The ending is unflinchingly horrific (the specifics of which may be what Tom is talking about), and most of the rest of it is uniquely twisted.

Britt Eckland (sp) does this naked, butt-and-wall slapping dance early on. There's just plenty of Pagan weirdness.

A good friend of mine considers it the Most Seriously F-ed Up Movie Ever (and she's seen Pillow Book [Big Grin] ). So, be warned.

But I think it's worth a look for it's complete uniqueness, anyway.

[ November 18, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this one--saw it around '91, I think. Very strange movie, but interesting.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah. That's my opinion, too.

Worth seeing, but probably not something I'd want to own.

And contrary to my title, there wasn't any woad. I would have liked some, I think. But maybe it would have been too much of a give away, as far as Celtic ritual is concerned.

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet,

Would you believe that Eckland's butt wasn't considered good enough for the movie? I'm not making this up: the frontal nudity is hers, of course, but she actually has a body double for the rear!

Oy vey!

Also, while the movie was supposed to take place during the summer, it was actually filmed (if memory serves) during the winter. Hence, a lot of the people you seem to see naked in the fields are actually wearing flesh-colored body suits. Also, the actors would apparently take refuge inside of parkas between takes.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah, I read the interviews about that. Britt's backside was done by a double. *snort*

And, it being filmed in October in SCOTLAND but it was supposed to be spring, they ended up having to suck ICE for the outdoor scenes, so thir breath wouldn't smoke. Must've been hell on a stick. And Eward Woodward, in that thin shift, bare foot. GUH. I saw an interview with one of his costars that said he kept trying to put his feet under her between takes. She evidently pointed out that he would soon be much warmer than any of them. He also delivered his last lines while being peed on by a terrified goat.

Gosh, I love DVD extras:D

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I may have to see this again just for the DVD extras; sounds like a better than average extras track.

Completely off topic, I once had a girlfriend whose father lived in England. He lived in a village called Stowe on the Woad. I never did find out if the village was situated near some waterway called "Woad", or if it was actually a settlement that grew up around a store on the only road in the area, but was named by someone with a speech impediment.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.