FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SoCal RotK Gathering -- or, the Shadow is rebuilding itself... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SoCal RotK Gathering -- or, the Shadow is rebuilding itself...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav, there's a possibility (though a slim one, admittedly) that we'll be heading to San Diego on Thursday or Friday, then heading back up to the Shinda on Sunday (looks like the Saturday night in the driveway thing won't work). If we do that, it's all good for us to give you a ride up. You'd just have to wrangle up a ride back home. I'll let you know more when we know more.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
:::laughing:::
Pop- Having met Squirrel and Superstation increases rather than lessens the "cool" factor of getting to spend more time with the Moose Crew.

Though I do have a problem with Sunday. My Father-in-Law is coming out and John wants to go to Disneyland with a few of his friends for his B'Day. Saturday, he has basketball until 1pm and he doesn't want to go during the week because he says that he wants "to get there as soon as it opens and stay until it closes."

Would Monday work?

Pop- You and the family can camp in our guestroom if you like. The view isn't as nice as the driveway, but it is closer to the bathroom!

Heck! If we can't move the date, you and Squirrel could host the party at my house and we could join you all after the Magic Kingdom closes.
:::thinks::: If John knows that you all are waiting at the house, he'll probably want to get home early.

:::hoping that something will work-out so I can see you all:::

[ January 20, 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... I hate to be a stinker but Monday would definitely mean I couldn't come.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If we do it Monday, I'd have to leave by 2-ish.

My place is available Sunday, if that helps.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, this crept up on me.

Next weekend I'm doing a beach getaway for three or four days with some friends. The weekend after I'm free, thus far, with the obvious exception of the Shinda -- but it's definitely on the schedule. Weekdays are impossible, though, considering I'm taking a leave of absence this weekend for the beach party.

So this a definite Superbowl Sunday event?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm unclear here. Are we all talking about the same weekend? Feb. 1st was the last date I saw in play -- that no longer works for you, Ladydove? I mean, we can still do Saturday the 31st, though that'll definitely preclude the San Diego trip. And since Saturdays also preclude rivka's attendance, I guess it might mean Xavier wouldn't be there, either.

Of course, the way it stands now, we can do just about any Saturday or Sunday. Those whose homes we're considering (rivka and Ladydove, it appears), can you verify the dates you're currently thinking?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I thought we were talking about Feb. 1, 2004.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

My ONLY bad date at this point is Feb 1. John doesn't want to change the date for Disneyland (man, what does this kid think... that it's his birthday or something!)

:::fingers still crossed:::

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everybody
I haven't read this in a long time and am disappointed that the gathering might not work out. The 31st would actually be better for us (sorry Rivka) but we can do either day so I hope something works out.
-Juliette

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Sacrilege on its way.>

What if we pushed it back to the 8th? Or the 15th? Or the 22nd? (If on the 22nd, we could try to contact the Midwest gathering.)

What if each person whose attendance is a possibility were to give a list of dates that would work? For us, I'm pretty sure any Saturday and*/or Sunday between now and the first week of April would work.

--Pop

*I of course can't offer housing at someone else's home, but I think an overnight would be wicked cool.

Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
we could do the 15th or the 22nd.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The 8th and 22nd are ok; the 15th is slightly better.

Wasn't it Lalo who specifically wanted it to be the 31st/1st?

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

quote:
Dude, the date isn't etched in stone. Which days would be better for you? For example, in my case, so long as it's Jan. 31 and onward, I should be free.
--Lalo, emphasis mine
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cool with it being delayed. That would give me more time to request the day off. I'll be checking this thread to see when you all decide on.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool.

Ok, all in favor of the 15th? Strong preferences for a different day?

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually a bit of a relief -- I'm in a rather obnoxious time crush at the moment, and I don't know how easily I'd make a gathering. I don't yet know what's up on the fifteenth, but the farther back the Shinda can be pushed the more likely I'm going to be able to make it. March, for example, is almost certainly going to be stress-free.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. You're probably all going to decide on the 15th, because that's the week I'm going to be in Pennsylvania.

:Giggles:

(Hey Pop, I'll just mail ya the book.)

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, how does the 22nd work for you, docmagik?
docmagik
Member # 1131

The 22nd could work if I could talk my Dad into doing my Mom's birthday on Sunday. Which I'm sure I can.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused] Isn't the 22nd Sunday?
LadyDove
Member # 3000

The 15th and the 22nd are both good for me. And I agree an overnighter would be wicked cool!
docmagik
Member # 1131

Oops! I was looking at last year's calendar.

Getting my dad to move my Mom's Birthday to Saturday will be harder, but still likely.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

You know, the 29th is an extra day anyway....
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, but MY mom's birthday is on the 28th.

Which doesn't rule out the 29th, but I thought I'd mention.

Pop, is the 22nd not good for y'all?

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

22nd is great. I was just sayin'.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

For Pete's sake, it's no wonder we SoCal'ers have such a tough time getting together. Will someone please make an executive decision? Maybe Ladydove would be best, since it sounds like we're gonna be at her house and all. What day, what time?

--Pop

docmagik
Member # 1131

Pop, we're SoCalers. My people have to call your people. Our people all have to meet to figure out when's good for us to meet.

Haven't you been following the discussion in the "SoCal RotK Gathering's People's Gathering" thread?

rivka
Member # 4859

THAT's my problem! I keep forgetting to get 'people'!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

My people are 2-1/2 months old and 2-1/2 years old. Neither yet knows how to operate a phone properly.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Okay y'all-
This is what I have:

Date: Feb 22 - a good date because so far everyone is available and it jives with the Midwest gathering. (Man, wouldn't it be nice if we had video conferencing?!)

Time: 1PM - ? I don't want anyone to have to wake-up early on a Sunday morning.

Place: My house

Activities: Air-hockey, laughter, sharing stories and kissing babies (still too cold for the water-slide [Frown] )

Consumables: What do you guys want to eat and drink?

Sound like a plan?

BTW Pop, what's the number on this Shinda?

rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! The 22nd it is. [Big Grin] Count me and three little 'uns in. [Smile]
docmagik
Member # 1131

Me, my wife, and my two girls (one and two) will be there, too.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

22nd is wonderful, thank you for deciding. I believe this will be Shinda VI, The Undiscovered Whiteshoes.

We can also reminisce about:

Shinda I, The Misspelled Cake
Shinda II, The Wrath of Snood
Shinda III, The Search for Icarus
Shinda IV, The Voyage Down the 101
Shinda IVb, Rivka Strikes Back
Shinda V, The Phantom_Scopatz

(I may have them out of order -- I never wrote it down, and was waiting to buy the boxed set once it becomes available.)

--Pop

LadyDove
Member # 3000

:::laughing:::
Pop, you slay me!

docmagic and crew, rivka and the rivkettes, Pop and the Meeses... Yay!

To the rest of the SoCal crew, we're waiting for you to sound off. [Smile]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

Update for Shinda VI:
Date: Sunday February 22, 2004
Time: 1PM -> ?
Place: My House

Definitely coming:
*rivka and the rivkettes
*Pop and the Meese
*docmagik and crew
*my clan
*Mike and Juliette
*kat

We would also love to see:
Eddie?
Emily?
Ndra?
sara?
Feyd?
Wallace?
BobbyK?
Xavier?
scottneb and scottnebette?

Is this real: YES!

[ January 28, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I think the Wrath of Snood and Journey Down the 101 were both Shinda II. And Shinda III was kat-ilicious. [Big Grin] And Rivka Strikes Back must have been IIIb, 'cuz I have a distinct memory of telling a very skeptical bakery employee to write "Shinda III B" on a cake. *giggle*

But then, you know what they say about sequels . . .

saxon75
Member # 4589

Hmmm... See, I think that I remember kat's visit being III and IIIb, but didn't Ic and Cor come down before that?

Anyway, Juliette and I are in.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Too poor to travel right now. Maybe later.

Irony of ironies, I might be in Irvine on February 24-26 for work.

Hmm.... I wonder if they'd let me come the weekend before? [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*whoop* I'm in Irvine, CA for the next Monday through Wednesday, and I can come earlier - say, the morning of the 22nd.

Where's Irvine? Where's the shinda? If I get to Irvine, am I on anyone's way to hitch a ride? *hopeful*

-----

*looks at map* Hmm... it looks awfully far south. Maybe I could get a car for the weekend...

[ January 26, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Irvine is in Central/Southern Orange County, and is about a 15-20 minute drive from where I live, although in the opposite direction from Whittier, where LadyDove lives. But I don't see any reason why I couldn't come pick you up. Unless somebody else is coming from further south than Huntington Beach.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

[Frown] I thought it was too good to be true. Turns out that session is currently on wait-list, so I don't know if a space will open up. If I don't find out within a week, I need to pick another city. This is so sad.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, is this set in stone?

If so I will ask for the day off and see what happens...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, a space opened up!

Yay for selling out to corporate culture! *grin* I'll be in town the morning of the 22nd, so I can come. [Smile] I'm registered for the seminar, so I'll be in town no matter what either way. I have a friend in town, though, so if it doesn't, I'll be fine. [Smile]

So, is this real? Is it happening?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I sure hope it's real, because we're gonna show up. Also, Xavier, we're hoping to visit San Diego that weekend, and if that works out and you get the time off, we'd be happy to drive you up to the Shinda on Sunday. We wouldn't be heading back down afterward, though, so you'd have to fend for yourself in getting home. Rivka sounds amenable, so you're probably ok there.

--Pop

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I'm in.

Maybe I can rent a car...I'll have to find out. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Great, Pop, that makes my life simpler if I'm only driving to San Diego after. [Smile]

kat, yay!!!

LadyDove
Member # 3000

docmajik - please email me for an address and directions.

kat - What airport are you flying into? Do you want a ride or would you prefer to rent a car?

[ January 28, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, now I'm confused. Is it on Sunday, the 22nd, or Saturday, the 21st?

Either way, I'm arriving Saturday morning, the 21st. If the Shinda is the 22nd, I'll spend that day with my friend. If otherwise, then otherwise.

Turns out I get a rental car for my stay (yay!) so I'll be driving from Irvine. Does that help anyone? Xav, you need a ride back to San Diego?

rivka
Member # 4859

kat:
quote:
Update for Shinda VI:
Date: Sunday February 22, 2004
Time: 1PM -> ?
Place: My House

[Edit: [Big Grin] I should probably point out that I'm quoting LadyDove's post above, before I start confusing people about the location.]

[ January 29, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

kat, if you'd prefer to ride with us rather than be stuck in the non-carpool lanes, Irvine is totally close to us. On the other hand, driving yourself from Irvine to the Dove house would be more adventurous. So I guess there's pros and cons either way. Let me know what you think.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.