FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please Allow Me To Introduce... (Now With 2 Pictures) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Please Allow Me To Introduce... (Now With 2 Pictures)
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Pictures near bottom of page 2.>

Our newest Hatracker -- Timothy Benjamin Sloan. And his Hatrack name is "Superstation," which shouldn't be too tough a leap for most of you. He won't be posting for a couple days or so at least, probably, but he's already registered.

So the story. As many of you know, we were past our due-date, and were scheduled for Mama to be induced on Wednesday morning. Well, while Superstation showed far more patience than his parents overall, the last few hours were apparently more than he was willing to wait, so he didn't.

Mama started having pretty hard contractions about 7:30 last night, and as soon as she hit 5 minutes apart (maybe 8:15?), we called the hospital and told them the situation. The nurse there said, "Well, if you want to come in now, you can." We think she figured we were rookie parents who didn't realize that five minutes apart meant there was lots of time left.

So we gathered everything we were taking that wasn't already in the car (Crystal City and coffee, basically), and headed out to the hospital. We got to the labor and delivery area at about 9:15, and they said that they were waiting for a couple rooms to be cleaned, so we should wait in the waiting room. Didn't have much choice, so we waited. After 20-25 minutes, I wandered back over there and asked if they knew how much longer it would be. "We're just waiting for a clean room."

"Um, we're kind of at the point where we'll take a dirty one."

"No, afraid not. It'll only be a short while longer."

Well, after only 5 or so minutes, they took us to "triage" -- not because they had to figure out what to do with us, but because that's the only room that was clean and empty, so we went there and Mama lay on the bed. They hooked up baby monitors (incorrectly, but a different nurse fixed that later), and lo and behold, Mama was having contractions, and they were really close together! So, the nurse checked the cervix.

Dilated to 8 cm. "Well, we'd better get you a room!"

So down the hall to the labor and delivery room, now clean, and reconnect Mama to the machines. Water hasn't broken yet, so they decide to break it. Whoosh. Lots of water. Lots and lots of water. And clear, so that's good.

The really bad part -- she was far enough along that it was too late for an epidural. Mama not so happy 'bout that. Breathing is forgotten, pain is paramount. (I, however, almost have feeling back in my right hand.) They didn't even get an I.V. in. Not much later, Mama says "I think the baby's coming out now." Nurse looks -- sure enough, he's crowning. Better get the doc.

Doctor comes in, lights, camera, action. Mirror is set up so Mama can see. "Ok, push!" One push -- long though it may have been -- and the head is out. One more, and out comes Timothy. A little bit of bruising on his face because he came out so quickly, and a little tearing for Mama, but this is normal they say.

7 pounds, 15 ounces. 20 inches long. Healthy, though not so happy, and feet are normal. As far as we know, so is everything else. He doesn't quite have Mooselet's eyelashes (unless they grow in quickly), but he has Grandpa Yak's cleft chin, far more pronounced than Papa's.

We are all well and healthy, and we thank you for the thoughts, wishes, and prayers. I believe there were some AIM messages sent -- those we didn't see, unfortunately, because the internet connection went down here at home. Grandma, knowing that we'd want it up when I got home, called the help line to get it fixed. First instructions for all help desks? Of course. Reboot the computer. So whoever did IM us, let us know what you said, please.

Again, thank you all for sharing our happy times. We'll post pictures when we can. I'm off to return to the hospital now, and Mooselet will meet his new little brother.

--Pop

[ November 21, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congratulations to the Moose family!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! Congratulations. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Moose! [Smile]

i hope you don't mind smilies in this thread...

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz to the whole Moose & Squirrel family!!

I normaly don't do this but...

[Party]

(oh, make sure Superstation gives back Grandpa's cleft chin. He need that to hold his denture's in.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hip hip hooray!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Cool beans and congrats!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I am sure the little one will get past that "leaving the womb" unhappiness thing and discover the trade-off is well worth it!

Also glad the anxiety of overdueness is over and everyone is healthy and well.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Moose. I wish every kid could have you as a father. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
All the best to Mama S and TBS.

So are the Moose's Hatrack's first family or what? Every member has a screen name and they all post (or will soon post). Very cool.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
w00t!

And, of course, a Big Right On!

Congratulations Moose and Squirrel!

::does a happy little dance, much to the bemusement of his officemates::

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! Congratulations. I'm so glad to hear that everyone is healthy and safe.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Wonderful!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So why Superstation? I love it. Very unique and memorable.

[ November 19, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov! So glad the everyone is happy and healthy.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! And welcome Superstation!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

(Tell Mama I sympathize with her. The same thing happened to me. [Frown] )

What time was he born? What color is his hair/eyes?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah ! Welcome to the new member of the family, and congrats everyone !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Congrats to all and one!

[The Wave]

(And sympathies to Mama from my wife, whose epidurals did not work, and who had induced labor--which caused stronger-than-normal contractions. [Eek!] )

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS!

(am i the only one who thought this was going to be about the rolling stones?)

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo Hoo!

Congratulations! Let the sleepness nights begin again.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] Congrats Moose and Squirrel!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
HOORAY!!!! *dances a happy dance* Congrats, Pop and Mama!!! [The Wave]

*clinks glass* L'chaim!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations both of you! And of course congrats to Mooselet as well, I'm sure he'll make a great older brother. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray!

*goes to add Superstation to the Guess the Author list*

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
ya! Another healthy baby mooselet! :: offers everyone candy cigars ::
Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!!

Congrats Mama and Papa!!!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!!! Congrats to all of you and welcome to the world lil Superstation!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I loved zgator's comment of "let the sleepless nights begin" - I am sure you remember how to type with one arm, Papa? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee!!!

[Party]

My congrats and sympathies to Momma.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! I'm glad everything went fairly smoothly, but I'm sorry Squirrel had to go through all that pain. Welcome to the (Hatrack) world Superstation. I'll bet Mooselet would be happy to show you around the place!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
BABYYY!!

I've given up on this whole "putting off a landmark thing" being as I miss my ID, and where better to make my landmark 2000th post than in Superstation's announcement thread! YAY BABY!!!

^_^ I hope he grows up to be healthy, happy, and just as good a father as his own.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat: look at the initials of the new mooselet and then think back to the early days of cable.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome!!
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]

I hope Mama's doing well. [Smile]

And you too, Papa. And the children. This is so exciting! [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Yayay! Congrats to all and welcome to Hatrack, Superstation!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am sure you remember how to type with one arm, Papa?
Hehehe, I've most parents a one up in that department, go right-handed dvorak!

I'm so happy for you two! A wonderful family of four! Wow! :: happily awaites for futher updates ::
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Moose, Squirrel and mooselet. [Smile]

Give your whole family my love, Moose.

[ November 19, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited and happy for you! I have been checking hatrack every day, waiting for the news.
What a wonderful name too!

[ November 19, 2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Juliette ]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
*arm pump*

Woohoo! Congratulations! Both Vána and I wish your family the absolute best. [Party]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! (does happy dance, carefully, to avoid tearing)
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! ::hugs to the Moose family:: You must be so extremely proud. Congrats!
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Yipee! Glad everything went well [Smile]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww!

I love it when my friends reproduce!

He got here just in time for a Crystal City signing, you know, and I bet he wants an autographed copy....

"To Superstation- dams & bridges"

love you all!
Annie [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! [Smile]

I'm so happy for you and your family. With the rest of Hatrack, I have been anxiously following your threads, and it's very exciting that little Superstation is here.

Congratulations! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's about time Papa Moose! Congradulations to you, Squirrel and the little Mooselets!
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.