FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Face Recognition

Author Topic: Face Recognition
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an interesting argument with a coworker the other day and I thought I'd see what Hatrack thinks.

We were discussing face recognition software that they are developing for ID'ing criminals, terrorists, etc. at stadiums, airports and other large crowds.

Mark maintains that face recognition software is an invasion of privacy and should be considered similar to illegal search and seizure.

I believe it is no different than giving officers working a crowd pictures or photos of suspects they should be looking for. I don't see a difference between a cop scanning a crowd and identifying someone and a computer doing it.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion: If you're going out and showing your face to anyone that may walk past (be it human, camera, or computer) it isn't invasion of privacy.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think it's an invasion of privacy when it is limited to looking up people that are being searched for.

The equivelent of posting someone's headshot in a post office.

I don't want it used, however, to build a database.

Is the technology to the point it is even possible yet?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not in practical use. Miami Beach, I think it was, had a trial of these. It failed miserably. No accurate positives, lots of false positives, many of them ridiculous.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
National Geographic had a really interesting article on face recognition software and the overall monitoring of society an issue or two back. It was very interesting and enlightening.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to look for that article, Sopwith. We have a subscription, but my reading time has been somewhat curtailed the last couple of months. I'm a bit behind.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.