FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recipes needed! Pronto!

Author Topic: Recipes needed! Pronto!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding my first dinner party in my new house (yes, the furniture WILL be used!).

So, the question is, does anyone have good, sure-fire recipes for entree's and appetizers that they can share?

I was thinking of trying something new. These are all good friends who wouldn't mind if I brought in McDonalds burgers, so it's not much of a risk.

I'm looking specifically for maybe:
1) How to make a wine reduction sauce for steaks.
2) A good recipe for some cool appetizers.
3) Maybe a light-ish white wine/tomato sauce for seafood over pasta.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, there was an appetizer my mom used to make that I really liked - whole water chestnuts wrapped with bacon, soaked in soy sauce and other things, skewered and cooked (I'm pretty sure they were broiled).

I'm not very good with appetizers. I'll definately have to watch this thread for good ideas. I've never cooked with wine either so I'll be no help to you at all! [Razz]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I made a really nice mushroom & pinot noir sauce for steaks the other night.

Basically all you need is some nice, earthy mushrooms (we used portobello - but anything with a bit more grunt than normal button mushrooms will do the trick), some onion and butter, some black peppercorns & some pinot.

Pinot Noir = a light red wine. It's often slightly fruity, and not as heavy as the shiraz / cabernet etc. The reason I picked the Pinot was
a) it was a hot night, and I couldn't handle the idea of a heavy red
b) I thought the berry tones would go nicely with the mushrooms (they did)
and
c) it was on special
[Smile]

So: chop up your onions finely and your mushies not so finely. Melt some butter, and saute mushies & onions gently for about 15 min or so, until everything is very soft and aromatic. You really want to give the mushroom flavour time to intensify.

Then add the wine - I guess about half a cup full for two people, more or less if you want. Also add about 10 whole black peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Leave, simmering uncovered for at least half an hour.

The mixture should reduce and voila - easy but very nice pinot & mushroom jus. (Just to be fancy)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want just a clear/white wine reduction? Or do you want it estouffade based?

Cool appetizers... I have a good recipe for strawberry salsa if you want it [Smile] Or you could go with a selection of cheeses... or different dips (like a spinich dip for bread)

I don't know any good light wine/tomato sauce recipes, sorry!

[ November 20, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Some appetiser ideas:

You can make easy and very cool mini-tarts using frozen puff pastry.

First:
Buy ingredients you want. Some suggestions:
Proscuitto + boccocini
Olive tapenade + sundried (or semidried)tomato
Tomato + salami
Basically any two (or max three) savoury flavours you like.

Then... Take frozen pastry out of freezer. Take sheet of pastry off plastic.
[Smile]
Cut sheet into little squares.
Place thinly sliced toppings in middle of little squares - you don't want to overload them. I would use say one thin slice of tomato and one thin slice of salami and nothing more.

Then, mix and egg and a little milk together. Brush this over the sides of each little square (ie around the topping)

Put little squares in hot oven (220 C... you can work out the F [Smile] ) for about 10-15 minutes or until pastry is all golden and puffy.

Take out and serve immediately - yummo.

Two variations are:

You can do bigger tarts with (pre-cooked) roast veggies in the middle as part of a main course. I've done them with roast pumpkin, eggplant, tomato and squash: very nice indeed.

For a fancy looking appetiser / nibbly to hand around, take a sheet of puff pastry and spread all over with a thin layer of nice olive tapenade (or pesto if you hate olives). Roll the pastry up nice and tight into a cylinder, then cut into little circles. Bake these - you should get little golden circles with a spiral pattern of tapenade in them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

And here I go again...

Go to Jamie Oliver's website for some really nice but easy ideas.

His salads and appetisers etc focus on using good quality produce (which on the downside can sometimes be expensive), and so don't require much fussy cooking.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
*Scratches head*

cool as in cold? or the other cool?

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
once I marinated a roast in sherry and sage and garlic, and cooked it in a crock pot. I think it would make an equally good steak marinade.

sounds fun!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
The absolute best appetizer I've ever eaten was oven-roasted artichoke hearts stuffed with mascarpone cheese. I think it sent me into a state of shock after my first bite. [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I take it chips and dip and a Budweiser is out of the question? [Razz]

Just kidding! Good luck with your dinner party (and new furniture - I hope you have the old stashed on the front porch!)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool or easy? Easy is better. Do you really want to spend your time in the kitchen when you have company?

2 pkgs. crescent rolls
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
1 env. ranch house dressing mix
1 c. mayonnaise or Miracle Whip

Place crescent rolls on flat cookie sheet, pinching seams together forming a crust. Bake according to instructions on package. Cool. Mix cream cheese, ranch dressing mix and mayonnaise, and spread over cooled crust. Layer vegetables on top and spread evenly. Cover with waxed paper and gently press vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, mushrooms, what ever you want) into cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate overnight. Remove waxed paper. Cut into small (2 x 2-inch) squares. This is very good for picnics, parties or any occasion. Keeps very well.

1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon shallots
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter

In a medium saucepan, combine white wine, wine vinegar, and shallots. Cook until liquid is almost evaporated, approximately 1 tablespoon left. Stir in heavy cream and let boil down until reduced by half. Stir in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each to melt before adding the next.

1 cup red wine -- Merlot
8 oz. of butter -- cut into slices
2 tbs. minced ginger
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 tbs. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. salt

Lightly season the steaks with the vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Next place the ginger, garlic and red wine vinegar in a pot under medium heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute. The add the Merlot. Reduce this mixture to a syrupy rich texture. Just before placing the steaks on the grill, add the butter several pieces at a time while whisking. Be careful not to let the butter become overheated. Keep the sauce warm while grilling the steaks.

Here's a Steak with "Red Wine Reduction and Carrot Puree" from GMA.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/steakredwinered.shtml

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! This is so cool!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen's mini-tarts sound tasty, classy, and not too difficult. Yum!
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite appetizer to serve is stuffed mushrooms. Stuff them with the stems of the mushrooms, onions, celery and bread crumbs and bake them in the oven with some cheese on top.

A recipe site i always use:
all recipies

Edit: I also really love spinach or artichoke dip in a bread bowl with pieces of bread to dip.

[ November 21, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My award winning Spinach Dip--Good with veggies or crackers, even non-flavored chips.

1/2 Cup Miracle Whip (a sweeter taste than Mayo)
1/2 Sour Cream
1 Package Hidden Vally Ranch Dressing Mix
1 Package Spinach, chopped.

Thaw spinach.
Mix in big bowl.
Lick spoon. It is good.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

What award did it win?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Appetizers are such a pain to make (although I too am very fond of stuffed mushrooms) -- what about the classic large wedge or wheel of brie, crackers, and a nice selection of fancy olives?

If you really want to get fancy add a bottle or two of roasted red and/or yellow peppers to the mix.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I like cheese ball.

1 jar of Old English
1 jar of Roquefort blue
2 8 oz. pkgs cream cheese
1/4 (1/8) tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbs. vinegar (I don't add it)

Soften cream cheese, mix it all together. Chill. Can serve it like that, or if feeling all fancy pants, you can roll it into a ball, chop up walnuts, sprinkle in parsley flakes and roll ball in walnut/parsley mix.

I like it served on Triscuits best, but some people like Ritz.

[ November 21, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Ooh, I made these meatballs last Christmas.

TANGY BUFFET MEATBALLS
2 lb. ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. oatmeal, uncooked
1/3 c. chili sauce
SAUCE: 1 c. chili sauce
1/2 - 3/4 c. grape jelly

Mix the meatball ingredients together and make into small balls. Put on cookie sheet or shallow pan and bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes. Mix the chili sauce and jelly together in a pan and heat on stove till all melty and wonderful smelling (about 5 minutes.) Then, put the meatballs out with tooth picks and a bowl of sauce and let the dipping commence. [Smile]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Triscuits!
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I always eat them salty side down. Am I the only one whose that weird? (Or possibly, the only one obsessed with them enough to actually know how I eat them? See, if the salty side is down and the cheese ball is on top, my God, it's like a little bit of heaven.)
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I start them out salty side down so you get the triscuit senstation then bite down and flip them over with my tongue so I get the sensation of whatever they're topped with.

Triscuits, a stick of very dry, tasty salami (the real kind with the moldy paper wrapping [Gallo, for example]), and a wedge of not too mild but not too strong swiss cheese. Flavors/textures blend together (and yet still stay distinct) wonderfully.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Glad I'm not the only weirdo. [Cool]

Salami is good, but I don't care for swiss. Beef stick and Colby Monterey Jack is good, too. Better yet, a big platter of Triscuits, Ritz, cheese ball, beef stick, and sliced cheese. With olives on the side of course.

I also like torillas with shredded cheese, nuked till melted, then add sour cream and salsa and fold up. Yummy. Of course, you could add all kinds of gross things to that, like olives, chicken, etc.

You should see our house on New Year's Eve. It's all appetizers.

[ November 21, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Ooh, Budig beef, cream cheese and dill pickle spears. That's yummy.

Get a package of beef, some soft cream cheese and pickles. Lay the beef out flat, spread some cream cheese down on edge, add a pickle spear, roll up and cut into thirds. Add tooth pick.

Okay, I'm feeling a little "trailer court"ish, right now.

Kayla
Member # 2403

2 boxes Velveeta
8 oz. cream cheese
2-3 lbs. ground beef
2 cans Rotel
Torilla chips

Brown beef and drain. Throw into crock pot. Cube the Velveeta and cream cheese, add the Rotel (I drain them first, but some people don't) and cook till all melty good. (Depends on your crock pot. Usually a couple of hours. You can easily cut that recipe in half.

Man, I can't wait for New Year's. I've made myself hungry.

[ November 21, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

quote:
You should see our house on New Year's Eve. It's all appetizers.
Okay, hold the creepiness, K. That's what my parents used to do when I was a kid.

Actually, it's probably not uncommon. For us, it was because yummy appetizers were inexpensive expensive treats -- canned smoked oysters and clams and kippered herring, salami, cream cheese and crackers, olives, all manner of pickled things, sourdough bread, Martinelli's, etc. I think it was also a break from the midwestern-inspired Utah cooking and a nod to my Dad's Bay Area upbringing.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now I'm starving.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.

Hey Bob, if you ever need anyone to try out a few of these recipes . . .

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob for the seafood and pasta, you could modify Coquilles St. Jaques fairly well.

Lightly dust scallops with freshly grated nutmeg and kosher salt and then coat lightly with flour. Saute` with butter over med-high heat with a tiny amount of minced garlic. As scallops begin to caramelize slightly, add a dash of apple brandy and flame. As flames die down, add heavy cream and swirl around pan to incorporate deglazed material. Heat through and serve over fettucini al dente`. Garnish with chopped chives.

It's the quick and brutal way to do it, but it's always worked wonders for me. For a bit more, add some finely trimmed, blanched bits of brocolli tops for color.

For the steaks, a pan-deglazing with apple brandy works as well and pairs nicely with the scallops flavor. For a different direction, look for a bernaise sauce (usually available already prepared at most markets) or possibly a red pepper coulee. For the coulee, mince red pepper by hand as finely as you can (I've had to remince before thanks to a persnickety chef and that was no easy task) and gently saute` (pan stirring only, no flipping) in a generous amount of butter with just a dash of salt. Serve a dollop on the side of the steak.

[ November 21, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Beef jerky, my friend. And lots of it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Now I'm starving too!

You lost me with the velveta and ground beef, though.

I've also never seen a meatball recipe with oatmeal! I'm going to have to try that one. I've always used breadcrumbs, but I'm always substituting oats for flour in other cases. [Smile]

On the simpler theme, you could do pita triangles with hummus, feta cheese, a mediterranean olive assortment, tomatoes and cucumber slices as munchies.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Christy, have you ever had nachos at a baseball game or movie theater? It's like that, only with beef. It's quite good, considering. . .

[ November 21, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks y'all.

I'm doing my shopping list now.

[Big Grin]

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone else checks: Pie pastry wrapped olives are quite good. If you aren't "one with pie pastry" I think they sell pillsbury pre rolled (though I don't know if frozen would work. You bake 'em till they're golden.

I make won-tons but apparently that's genetic.

I like tzatziki- the white stuff they put on gyros. It's the white flesh of a cucumber finely chopped mixed in yogurt and sour cream with some olive oil, red vinegar, and garlic, salt, pepper, what ever. You know, like hummus. You do know how to make hummus, don't you?

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*giggle* That explains why the cucumber sauce I tried to make wasn't anywhere nearly as good as the restaurant variety. *grin* I just chopped up some cucumber with sour cream!

*is really hungry now, especially for olives for some reason*

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest sugar glazed sugar in a sweet sugar sauce, all covered in pastry sugar.

That way, if your guest don't leave, as soon as the sugar rush ebbs they'll fall asleep and you can push them out the door.

or for something completely different,

Spam, spam spam spam
spam spam spam spam
spam spam spam spam.....

[ November 21, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

One of my guests recently returned from Australia. I wish I could get her some Vegemite. She HATED it!!!

[Big Grin]

SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you didn't ask for a dessert but since everyone is sharing their favorite recipes I thought I'd throw these two in...

First one
Banana coconut Egg rolls.

3 ripe banana's
Sweetened Shredded Coconut
Eggroll sheets
Semisweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar
1 egg white
Vegetable oil

Slice banana's in half, then quarters.
On one eggroll sheet add approx three pieces of banana and pinch of shredded coconut and chocolate chips to taste. Roll up in egg roll sheet and seal with a dab of egg white. Premake as many as called for. 3 ripe banana's make about 10-12.

Heat a pan with vegetable oil filled so half the eggroll will be submerged. When the oil is good and hot drop in the egg rolls. Brown on both sides. Drain over wire rack and paper towels. Let them cool about 3-5 minutes. Plate 1-2 eggrolls and sift powdered sugar over them.

They're great served warm and with a GOOD Vanilla Ice Cream.

And the Second.....
The Perfect Dessert for a Trailer Park Trash Party.......

Kitty Litter Cake

1Pk Spice cake Mix
1Pk White cake Mix
1Pk white sandwich cookies
Green Food Coloring
12sm Tootsie rolls
1Pk Vanilla pudding

Prepare cake mixes according to directions. Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.
Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in blender. Set aside all but about 1 cup.

To the 1 cup of cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using fork. Set aside.
When cakes have cooled to room temp, crumble into large bowl. Toss with half the remaining cookie crumbs and enough of the pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy.

Place a liner in a NEW(did I have to say this?), clean kitty litter box and pour in mixture.

Unwrap 3 tootsie rolls and heat in a microwave oven for 10 to 15 seconds, til pliable. Shape blunt ends to tapered points. Keeps adding to "Taste" so to speak.

Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green cookie crumbs lightly over the top.

Reserve 1 Tootsie roll to hang slightly over the edge of the litter box.

Place on a newspaper and serve with a NEW scooper.

And Voila.....

Hope you enjoy them,
Christopher

<editted for typos>

[ November 21, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: SirReal ]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want dessert recipies? 'Cuz I have an awesome recipe for french silk pie, with a brownie crust. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, the best cook in our little group is bringing dessert, so I guess I don't need a recipe for tomorrow. But hey, a good recipe is timeless, no?

Anyway, here's the menu:

Starters:
spicy shrimp with garlic & herbs
baked brie
stuffed mushrooms
beef sausage, cheese & crackers

Salad:
Cold broccoli raisin salad with pecans

Main course:
Grilled Rib Eye steaks with Pinot Noir & carrot reduction sauce
Garlic smashed potatoes

There will be a good crusty bread too.

Wines are:
Texas' own reds, white Zinfandel and a Chardonnay.

Plus:
Beer
Sodas (diet and regular)
Water

Dessert:
Cheesecake

Should be fun. Filling, etc.

[Party]

SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
The menu sounds Fabulous, my mouth waters upon its reading. One Suggestion, I would recommend having a nice Cabernet or Bordeaux to go with the main course. A great steak cries out for a nice red wine.

If I cover the shipping will you send me the left overs? [Roll Eyes]

[ November 21, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: SirReal ]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Mmm, smashed potatoes. My dad once ordered smashed potatoes in a resturant and my mother nearly had a cow. We heard about it often while growing up.

So, what time should I be there? (angel smilie)

Kayla
Member # 2403

Also, I'll be needing the recipes for spicy shrimp with garlic & herbs, baked brie, cold broccoli raisin salad with pecans, and garlic smashed potatoes. When you have time, if so inclined. [Smile]
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Friend,
I am a former genral in the Canadian Armed forces, eh, who has escaped the recent conflicts with two hundreds million dollars (Cdn) and twelve Skyhawk helicopters--I am at present sitting in one, the other eleven have been stored in Newfundland--the bombs are falling now. I need a secured bank account in a developed nation in which to deposit this money (and some safety-deposit boxes for the Skyhawks). If you will only--wjhat is that smoke coming out of the turret?--if you will, dear friend, only respond with your persoanl account number I will condider sharing 1% (Cdn) of this koney with you. That is.......200 dollars (Cdn), for only your secured bank account number (and the safety-deposit boxes)--is that oil pressure gauge correct?--then fix it you fool!, eh. I eagerly await your prompt response--Mayday!
Genral Lance "Contiki" Bay

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan,

Your spinach dip is kick-@ss!!!!

Thanks!

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will name this recipe Moose Poo in honor of that guy who obviously needs more stuff named after him [Smile]

Combine:
12 oz cream cheese softened
3 oz lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

in another medium microwavable bowl:
1 can sweetened condened milk (zap 1 min)
12 oz bag chocolate chips
(mix until melted, zap a little more if necessary)

beat brown stuff into white stuff, spoon into crumb crust (hubby likes Oreo, but I think that's overkill) chill and serve.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dinner party was a great success! More food than we knew what to do with.

Tips for the future:

If you are making a wine reduction sauce, reducing it by half is not nearly enough. It has to boil down to almost a paste to be "different" seeming from regular wine. Oh well. Takes hours, I think.

Rib Eye steaks are THE best.

Egg plant battered & fried with Dan Raven's dip is a BIG hit.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You do know how to make hummus, don't you?
[Confused] Well, of course. Take humus powder. Add water and a touch each of olive oil and lemon juice.

Right? [Dont Know]

Bob, congrats on hosting a successful party. May it be the first of many!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. I wish I had a knack for cooking.

Rivka - you need to come live with us and cook for Meat Dan and I. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.