FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Translation

Author Topic: Translation
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
In another forum I'm on, one of the members is trying to figure out a message she received. And we aren't even sure which language it is in, so that we can translate.

Someone suggested it is possibly celtic.

quote:
Slán agus beannacht leat. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat!
Slán go fóill. Cead Mile Failte!

Anyone here know for sure?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Irish Gaelic.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, if you know that, do you know what it says?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

go n-éirí on bóthar leat = may the road rise with you the first line of a famous Irish blessing which ends with 'Until we meet again may God keep you in the palm of His hand'.

slán agus beannacht = 'Goodbye and a blessing (on you' (Bon Voyage)

Cead mile failte = 10,000 blessings

Slán go fóill! = Bye for now!

So, it says, "Goodbye and a blessing on you. May the road rise to met you. Bye for now! 10,000 blessings." I think.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Kayla!

Farmgirl
p.s. -- where'd you find that?

Kayla
Member # 2403

Google is your friend. Don't be afraid of it. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I wanted to try Google, however I figured I had to at least know which LANGUAGE it was before I began to search

FG

Kayla
Member # 2403

http://www.lincolnu.edu/~focal/docs/cupla.htm
http://www.alphapenguin.net/~sheila/genealogy3.html
http://memoryireland.com/main.html

Kayla
Member # 2403

Nah. Just type in what you want and see what pops up. That's how I figured out it was Irish Gaelic.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on a quick google, its Irish.

beannacht means blessing.

bóthar means road.

go means that.

an means the.

Couldn't find the other words in the lexicon I was using (online), but did some searchings. The first sentence means goodbye and blessings on you. The last sentence means hundred thousand welcomes. The second to last sentence means bye for now. The only sentence left means may the road rise to meet you.

I think someone wanted to look impressive and used a common phrase book. The other possibility is that its part of a song or somesuch, though this seems less likely.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

See?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=+Sl%C3%A1n+agus+beannacht+leat.+Go+n-%C3%A9ir%C3%AD+an+b%C3%B3thar+leat%21+&btnG=Google+Search

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it, my use of the lexicon slowed me down. oh well.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, yeah. We all know I'm the best with google. [Razz] [Big Grin]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's been a long time. But these all seem like common phrases.

The first sentance translates more or less as goodbye and best wishes/blessings. The second phrase is the first line of line of a famous blessing. Kayla gave the literal translation but just means goodbye and good luck. Slán go fóill does mean bye for now. The last sentance is odd, it reads as 100,000 welcomes but it's a stodgy way greeting someone, not saying thanks or goodbye. I have no idea why it'd be the last line.

Probably, like Fugu said, they're just trying to be impressive but really don't understand what they're saying.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. Too bad I was in class. I could've told you it was Irish without using Google.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Psh, are you trying to imply that I did?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I sang a song once in a choir with these words, only in English. Cool.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Bob the lawyer,

You are absolutely right, and the saying makes perfect sense (the way you describe it) if you know the context. It was left as a memorial note for a slain officer (www.odmp.org) So the message was to him, but of course, read by the family. Perhaps the 10,000 welcomes refers to all those who have gone before....

Farmgirl

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Irish and Gaelic, I found this neat website that has a welsh/english lexicon. It's really cool.
http://oldweb.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/LexiconForms.html

BTW, I really want to learn Welsh and Gaelic...eventually. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Friend,
I am a former genral in the Canadian Armed forces, eh, who has escaped the recent conflicts with two hundreds million dollars (Cdn) and twelve Skyhawk helicopters--I am at present sitting in one, the other eleven have been stored in Newfundland--the bombs are falling now. I need a secured bank account in a developed nation in which to deposit this money (and some safety-deposit boxes for the Skyhawks). If you will only--wjhat is that smoke coming out of the turret?--if you will, dear friend, only respond with your persoanl account number I will condider sharing 1% (Cdn) of this koney with you. That is.......200 dollars (Cdn), for only your secured bank account number (and the safety-deposit boxes)--is that oil pressure gauge correct?--then fix it you fool!, eh. I eagerly await your prompt response--Mayday!
Genral Lance "Contiki" Bay

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.