FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunday Comics that need to die a horrible death to make room for Opus (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sunday Comics that need to die a horrible death to make room for Opus
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, Prince Valiant and Mary Worth? I haven't seen those in years and years. [Eek!]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Herald doesn't carry them, but they still exist!

And my stupid paper doesn't carry FoxTrot.

[Grumble]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
They still have Mary Worth in my local paper, and it royally sucks. Even comic strips I hate occasionally make me laugh. I have never laughed at Mary Worth, and I will continue to read it until it makes me laugh, and when it does I will still hate it, but maybe not so much.

Get Fuzzy is my current favorite. I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Prince Valiant and Mary Worth are in our local comics pages. Both, well, suck.

Me, I tend to rely on the Internet for my comic page needs, anymore; the strips have room to breathe there, and I can make a page with my OWN links. [Smile] It's a shame that Breathed wants Opus to be newspaper-only -- but given how terrible Outland was by the end, I'm not sure it's really all that great a loss.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, we'll have to fight to the death one of these days.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Oh come on. You get off on opposition. What would you do if I were gone?

[Smile]

[ November 23, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Get Fuzzy, Foxtrot, and [Blushing] Brenda Starr. Family Circus deserves death. I mean, jeez, it relies on being cute more than clever or witty. Same with stuff like One Big Happy.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please get rid of Zippy? I don't get it, it doesn't make sense, and recently it hasn't even been in English! And I request that my paper add Calvin and Hobbes because it doesn't currently print that one.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

No papers currently run C&H.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Never leave the bathroom.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Many newspapers have different comics so I'm not really sure what Opus and some of those you have are.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhymes With Orange and Bizarro are my favorites, but no one seems to know them.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never leave the bathroom.

That, or I'd seek out the company of any and all local jatraqueras.

"TELL me you don't like homosexuality! Yeah, yeah, and you think Bush is a good president, don't you? DON'T YOU?"

The best part is, I can ask them who their daddy is, and according to Jose's theorum, I'd get off no matter which way they answered.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

^
|
|
|
|

http://www.theonion.com/3945/opinion1.html

[ November 23, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I read opus today for the first time.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhymes with orange is very good.
My favorites in my paper are Foxtrot, Boondocks, Non Sequitor. I really like Arlo and Janis and Zits.

From my paper, zippy, family circus, mallard fillmore, and Sylvia or whatever its called need to DIE horrible deaths. mallard fillmore is just INSULTING. His "Liberals, the early years" segments always have me writing angry letters to him. At least Boondocks and Doonesbury target PEOPLE, not categories of people. Like, I think the Gropenfuhrer stuff in doonesbury has been awesome. Its REALLY funny. But who is it making fun of? One guy. Not 50% of the country.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've got to admit that both Doonesbury and Mallard Fillmore annoy the crap out of me, but not nearly as much as B.C.

I think Pearls Before Swine does a pretty good occasional political comic, though.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to the destruction of most of the comics mentioned.

Some other ones needing a Viking funeral: Blondie, The Lockhorns, Hi and Lois, Hagar the Horrible (no longer by the original creators).

"Non Sequitor" makes me laugh sometimes, but makes me wince more. It's too misanthropic and too much into war-of-the-sexes. ("The Far Side" could be misanthropic, but in an indifferent sort of way; "Non Sequitor" is just mean.)

"Doonesbury" makes me laugh sometimes, but Trudeau has never been as good since his first sabbatical -- he's become more irrelevant, too much into cutesy self-referential jokes and making his art more stylized, and his characters have gotten sadder and meaner. Sometimes he can be right on. Other times he goes wandering off and starts yet another rant about celebrities and modern art or does another series about Duke.

I'll be curious to see if "Opus" is any better than "Outland" and later "Bloom County." My impression of Berke Breathed is that after his first 3 books' worth of "Bloom County" strips he became a cynical burnout who watched too much TV and would try to make up for his cynicism with the occasional cheap shmaltz.

Stuff I like: Zits, Foxtrot, Tom the Dancing Bug... there's others, but can't remember them just now... if my Internet connection was faster I'd look for stuff online, but since it isn't I don't like to wait around for stuff to load...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Icarus said:
All the soap opera ones should go.

What was the one about the old lady? Was that Mary Worth? A soap opera comic strip about an old lady?! Talk about not knowing your demographic!!

Well, you can guess who usually fills out the surveys the newspapers have for comics preference. Even if they aren't a huge portion of the comics page readership.

One day I just decided that I was tired of not understanding what was going on in Prince Valiant, so I started reading it. I read it for about a year, through one of the major plotlines. Then everybody returned to England, and I got bored, haven't been interested at all since.

And there's always Sluggy Freelance... That can be a fun read.

[ November 23, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Zippy the Pinhead may just be the most pointless comic strip on the face of the Earth.

The Washington Post has Rhymes with Orange, btw

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Comics I heartily recommend, in no particular order:

Sinfest (online)
Schlock Mercenary (online)
Penny Arcade (online)
Sluggy Freelance (online)
Zits
Pearls Before Swine
Get Fuzzy
Something Positive (online)
Pardon My Planet
For Better or For Worse
Tom the Dancing Bug (online)
Player vs. Player (online)
Non Sequitur

Comics I would have recommended without reservation a few years ago, but now have reservations about:
Foxtrot
Baby Blues
Rose Is Rose
Funky Winkerbean
Sherman's Lagoon
This Modern World
Doonesbury
Boondocks
Dilbert
Bizarro
Robotman

Comics that need to be taken out behind the barn and shot:
Garfield
Hi and Lois
Blondie
Hagar the Horrible
The Lockhorns
Marmaduke
Dennis the Menace
Beetle Bailey
Family Circle
ANY soap opera strip

It's too early to tell about Opus, but I don't have high hopes.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Red Meat is freaking hilarity defined.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Zippy stays.

It is the most amazing piece of introverted surrealist graphic onanism, it has to be art.

Plus, this is on my fridge:

Skeeball

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I see your Skeeball and raise you a cesspool sippy straw.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
...I also must give a big "bleh" to Sinfest, Tom. It's the pinnacle of a comic painting itself into a corner, doing a little shifty-eyes thing, and then saying, "Surprise, expletives!" [EDIT: In fact, I think it invented that particular cliche.]

It has its moments, mind you, but hasn't anyone ever told tatsui (sp?) that cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate?

Aside from that disclaimer, it's scary how much I agree with Tom... Except dropping Zits and Robotman (no, wait, it's Robotman and Monty, no wait still agian, its just Monty).

-Bok

[ November 23, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Sluggy Freelance is like watching 15 seconds of a Scooby Doo episode, every day, over the course of 3-4 months. You eventually get to the end but don't notice that the next episode is pretty much exactly the same as the last.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TomD said:
Comics I would have recommended without reservation a few years ago, but now have reservations about:
Foxtrot

I think I agree with you on this one. It seems like he's sort of lost his touch. I really liked the earlier stuff, and even own a good portion of the books, but recently I've been fairly unimpressed.

Stormy, thanks for the Red Meat link. I've been laughing for the last 20 minutes.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The difference, of course, is that Sluggy Freelance is rather enjoyable. [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

I must have clicked on the wrong dozen strips over at Red Meat. They got a few faintly amused nods, but not so much as a single chuckle.

Hilarity defined?!?!

I don't think so.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*pat pat*

Just stick with your Family Circle, Icarus. [Smile]

[ November 24, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve, I must wholeheartedly disagree. I thoroughly enjoy Sluggy Freelance- in fact, I like it because it feels refreshing and different from many other comics I've read out there. The adventures are varied, if there are some cliche's, but they're used well, and often satirically, I find, and there are some brilliant jokes in there. My only objection so far were the Harry Potter parodies, which were mindlessly annoying and should be purged from the archives. Other than that, it's an excelent comic which I check daily.

Moving on: Yeah, Family Circus definitely needs to go. I use it as an insult: "You have all the wit of Family Circus."

[ November 24, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Polemarch ]

Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the anti-Zippy sentiments. Zippy has been my favorite comic since 1982. Bill Griffith is a genius. I did an english paper on him in college: "Bill Griffith, master of the non-sequitor". Alas, there are just some people that don't "get" Zippy. I feel sorry for you. Who else could you imagine saying:

"Donuts up!! Left foot forward!! Sunglasses on straight!! We have business to discuss!"
-Reality, Perception and Donuts

Zippy also invented "Are we having fun yet?"

If you don't get it, I suggest buying some of the old Zippy or Yow comics from the early 80's.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't blame me,I voted for Bill 'n' Opus."--man, I wish that t-shirt still fit me. [Frown]
quote:
Rhymes With Orange and Bizarro are my favorites, but no one seems to know them.
Brinestone.
I haven't heard of Bizarro, but Rhymes With Orange rocks! I loved the 4 excuses for being late last year.

Yeah, Peanuts was great in it's day, but now it's just milking a cash cow for the heirs. Beetle Baily bites and should be nuked, along with Family Circus, Dennis the Menace and freakin' Blondie, the same jokes for 60 years! Enough Blondie already..

Actually, I get a laugh out of how incredibly lame and out of touch the Mary Worth strip is. It's a guilty pleasure. [Blushing]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody's mentioned Fred Basset?

That's like my favorite comic ever.

:Tries hard to keep a straight face:

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone interested:

www.bizarro.com

Check out a few strips. Look for the eyeball, upside-down bird in a hat, the UFO, the piece of pie, the stupid bunny, etc. Then read the descriptions of the symbolism of each of these objects. It will be enlightening for you.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I get C&H, For Better or For Worse, Foxtrot, Boondocks, and a random political cartoon in my email every morning. I love them. I can't believe the cartoon strips that are still living in the 1940's are still published. Blondie? Good lord.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find Get Fuzzy funny at all.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the younger children who like to read the comics? What are they going to read? My brother and sister attempt to read Non Sequitor (sp) and all of those other comics and have a forced laugh. It's not funny anymore whenever you try to explain it and they still don't get it. So a few of those "hated ones" hafta stay people!!
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Mallard Fillmore is an example of Conservatives at their "funniest". Which isn't funny at all.

I do check out Mallard Filmore just to see what he's saying, and usually the duck us like...

"Why are we giving mexicans and blacks special treatment?"

Great Sunday paper stuff, no?

I think Rose is Rose is cute.

Get Fuzzy can be funny (and I like rob and satchel and bucky)

Boondocks has had some funny ones, lately their thing about finding Condeleelza Rice a husband has been funny.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to put in an argument for:
Ziggy, Garfield, Peanuts, and Blondie.

Hey, some of the readers of the comics are actually kids. That's right. Some people who read the funny pages are just learning how to read. That's where I got my start reading. I worked on Blondie and BC. Small words and small sentences and a quick resolution are great for an early reading experience.

Sure, they are lame and weak for any adult, or even most pre-adolescents. Yet for the small kids, the historic base for comic readers, they are perfect.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

If you find a child that even smiles at Blondie, I will give you a cookie.
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how Beatle Bailey is such a realistic portrayal of Army life. It's like you're right there... getting the smack-down from Sarge. Oh those wacky hijinx always get to me! Yuck Yuck!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zippy stays.

It is the most amazing piece of introverted surrealist graphic onanism, it has to be art.

And what planet are you on? It only pretends to make sense. He talks to statues as if they were real, which would be find except that they don't seem to answer him which means that they aren't real even in the confines of the comic strip. The only thing funny about Zippy is the fact that he thinks he's incredibly wise. Zippy deserves to die a horrible death.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of Tom's sentiments. I friend referred me to Pearls Before Swine, and I really like it. I'm also very partial to Non Sequiter.

I have to admit that I also frequently enjoy Frank & Ernest. It often relies on simple puns, but that's just fine with me.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank and Earnest is constistently the best looking comic in the paper on Sunday. It may not be high art, but (unlike most comics) it is lots of fun to look at. As for their jokes, a lot of them are stupid. But some are so brilliantly clever as to make up for it.

Johnny Hart needs to be shot. Both BC and Wizard of Id are constistently lame. I wouldn't mind the preaching, really, but he does such a horrid job of it, usually saying little more than "I'm a Christian- so there!" Calvin and Hobbes preached sometimes, but did so skillfully, and actually had a message. Hart doesn't. Furthermore, the regular jokes look like he didn't even try.

Garfield for a while was the epitome of the lazy artist. All we saw was the table with a blank wall behind it. I remember one Sunday when he actually drew the edge of the table. They were too lazy to draw something that might look like a table, so they drew a box instead. It has gotten a little bit better lately, but I think the stip still needs to be canceled. If little kids need something to read, let new strips take the old ones' place.

One more note: Is it just me, or is Dilbert seriously starting to decline. It seems like it is becoming less a commentary on business and more a self parody. I hope Adams stops it before it gets too stupid.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I agree regarding Dilbert.
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
******POSSIBLE SPOILER*********

Opus returned this Sunday to my paper. I was, well, a little disappointed. [Frown]

"I suppose you're where you thought you'd be in ten years?"

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Prince Valiant. I have no idea why, seeing as it's not actually funny. At all.

I'll read most of the comics. I love Get Fuzzy, though, and I've got a soft spot for FoxTrot, but about the rest I'm rather ambivalent.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I have to agree with Icarus on Red Meat. Not my thing. Sluggy, however, is hilarious and addictive. There are some valleys, but oh!the mountain peaks. You have to start at the beginning and work your way up, but it's worth it.

I don't read it anymore, though. The last slump was a long one.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.