FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hispanic US residents on track to send $30 bil in aid to So America

Author Topic: Hispanic US residents on track to send $30 bil in aid to So America
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hispanics on average are poorer than many Americans. The average Hispanic family had an income of $45,300 in 2001, compared with a national average of $66,900, according to the census.
Source

Despite the fact that Hispanics earn approximately 2/3 of the national average income, they are on track to send nearly 30 billion dollars to family members in South America.
More than 10 billion more than the projected foreign aid budgeted for worldwide distribution by the US Government for this fiscal year.

First, I'm awed that so many people would make a significant financial sacrifice every payday, to take care of a family member who is half a continent away. It makes me a little embarrassed to realize that most Americans only worry about making enough to pay their monthly bills.

Aside from making we, as a country, feel a little less “morally superior”; is there a downside to individuals outspending the federal government when it comes to foreign aid?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that since they referenced the census, they were referring only to legal residents of the U.S. If not, I would say that illegal residents sending untaxed dollars out of the country could be a serious problem.

[edited for horrid grammar]

[ November 26, 2003, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Wussy Actor ]

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a downside? Do you mean as in "Why isn't the government spending more on foreign aid?"

I think it's admirable for people to financially support their families who still live in their home country. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is thei moeny that they earned to do with what they please.

I don't think it's a bad thing that they outspend the government simply because the government has much more on its plate. I know that's a cheap argument, but it's my opinion. I don't know facts or figures, and I don't know exactly where foreign aid falls on the todo list, but I would hope that it is after domestic assistance. That may sound like a big "duh", but I mean it across the board. IMO, I don't think there's enough focus on our own homeless and helpless and poor.

Case in point is that the American average yearly income is $66,000. There are a lot of seriously rich people for it to be that high. I don't know anyone who makes that much. I don't even make half that, and I've got a pretty good job. I would love to see more individual benevolence, especially within our country. The government's got enough to worry about without going above and beyond on this one issue.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
What's truly amazing are the illegals. Most of the field workers I know make, if they're lucky, a couple dollars a day. Many of those left a family behind, and send all but a few cents of that tiny paycheck back to their wives and children. These people survive on nothing. This is, of course, after they go into debt thousands of dollars to get a guide to sneak them past the border. Insane.

They've replaced the black nigger slave in the South with the Mexican wetback slave in the Southwest. It's disgusting that these guys aren't paid more. I've never met anyone more deserving of citizenship.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Starvation is a real good motivator.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie-
My experience has been the same. I wish that even a small fraction of the heart and gumption I've seen in these people could be reflected in the general population.

It breaks my heart each time I ask one of these good people for directions or offer them a hand and they refuse to meet my eyes. It's not a sign of deceit but a sign of fear. And when I have been fortunate enough to be invited to their homes, I see simple dignity and faith reflected in their surroundings. The parents are revered and the children are well behaved.

Again, I am awed by them. How can these honorable people be held in such mean esteem?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
fiazko, that's a family income, not an individual one. I make less than half of that, as does my wife, but together we come somewhat close to it.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

They've replaced the black nigger slave in the South with the Mexican wetback slave in the Southwest.

Who is "they"? Perhaps you are referring to those who support legalizing illegal immigrants.

quote:

It's disgusting that these guys aren't paid more. I've never met anyone more deserving of citizenship.

Wait, that's you. The very reason that these people come to the USA is because they are very very poor and willing to work. They have no skills to offer, other than hard work. When they are allowed to flow into the country in an endless stream, you decrease the value of their labor. People who support giving citizenship to illegal aliens may gave good intentions, but are way off the mark on helping these people.

I would also point out that the market in which these people survive is based on cheap labor. If their labor becomes expensive, the market goes away, and it becomes cheaper for employers to automate or export their process. So a decision must be made, do we allow this illegal activity to continue, which denegrates both employee(receiving almost nothing for their work) and employer(by paying slave wages), or do we control immigration and force industries to modernize by taking away their source of cheap labor? I think the answer is obvious, close the border to illegals(legal immigration MUST continue) and enforce labor laws.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Robes, I'd bet that Eddie was talking about those who are more than happy taking advantage of the system, as is.

Legalizing (essentially granting citizenship, or some similar work/residence permit) immigration could have plenty of benefits... Including increased tax revenue from wages, that suddenly become reported.

It's interesting that many people (and I'm not saying Robespierre is one) have no problems with streamlining the supply-side of the economy, but refuse to facilitate the demand side.

-Bok

EDIT: I'll add, that the export of jobs is inevitable, and closing the borders to illegals (which is infeasible, and would balloon the government, both in workforce and spending) merely delays the problem. Businesspeople, just like any reasonable capitalists, see exporting jobs as a way to increase profits. With everyone and their mother having gone public, the prevailing perspective of not just posting profits, but also posting INCREASING profits, do CEOs have any choice but to try and find ways to cut the bottom (or is it top?) line?

[ November 26, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hispanic US residents on track to send $30 bil in aid to So America
A $30 bill? They're being so cheap... [Wink]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Robes -- weren't you for free trade? Labor is, in the economic scheme of things, just another commodity.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct, I am for free trade. I am also in support of immigration, legal immigration. The primary concern of the government is the safegaurd of our borders. Allowing people to flow into the country without being regulated is bad for the country and for those entering illegally.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A $30 bill? They're being so cheap...
Reminds me of the guy that heard that people in [insert insulted state here] weren't too bright, so he printed up a bunch of 18 dollar bills. He took them to an old general store in [insert insulted state here] and asked the shopkeeper for change for an eighteen dollar bill.

"Sure thing, ya' want three sixes or two nines?"

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.