FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Texts

Author Topic: Religious Texts
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

Interesting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
Very.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty cool to see so many (if not all) of them in one place! *bookmarks*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they have a wheelbarrow out in the middle of nowhere for 'Mormonism'?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't find a handcart?
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they were trying for a stagecoach, and didn't have the clip art?

You might as well ask why the art for the "Baha'i" section uses eight-pointed stars, instead of nine.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I take it nine pointed stars have some kind of symbolic significance for Baha'i?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. The nine-pointed star is, in fact, the symbol of the faith.

Imagine if you went to a site about Judaism and realized that all the stars there had five points. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

O.K. But see, the point is is that at least in the case of the 8 pointed star, you know where he was coming from with it--he just didn't quite get the appropriate symbol. My question is, why the wheelbarrow? If he was trying to evoke the pioneer call of faith to the desert, then he probably should have used a covered wagon or something more pioneer-y. So, I was wondering if maybe the wheelbarrow was some never before mentioned Mormon symbol. If it's not, is there a particular symbol that Mormons associate with Mormonism? If there's not, it's kind of wierd that he chose the wheelbarrow, when it seems like there are better symbols out there for Mormonism--a soggy diaper, say. [Wink] [Razz]

[ December 01, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
NICE NICE NICE!!! And not a word of slander. SOOOO rare. Thank you thank you than you!*Bookmarked*
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Very foolish comments used to be here. Move along.

[ December 01, 2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
*KABLINK*

I meant the website.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
The wheelbarrow looks to me like a handcart sinking in quicksand.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what it is.

And that's pretty much the equipment they used to travel west, Storm.

But I think a Jello salad would've been a better symbol.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh. I totally misread your comments. Sorry! I'll be editing my stupid comments now. I'm so embarassed.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the picture for the Judaism section is a bit odd as well. The Hebrew letters across the sky are odd but understandable. But is that spiky mountain supposed to be any particular mountain? And is that supposed to be a pillar of fire in the foreground? [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice.

But the "Age of Reason" section is missing some pretty key people. Where's Nietzche? Hell, where's Freud? And several other people I'm forgetting to mention.

And why is Paine under there? I'll be sure to browse more thoroughly next time around -- I've been looking for something like this for a long time -- but as I recall from reading Common Sense, Paine cited God's Will several times as justification for breaking away from the British. Is he an atheist or agnostic?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The prophet Micaiah, as he is called, II Chron. xviii, 18-21, tells another blasphemous story of God. "I saw," says he, "the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the hosts of Heaven standing on His right hand and on His left. And the Lord said, who shall entice Ahab, King of Israel, to go up and fall at Ramoth Gilead? And one spoke after this manner, and another after that manner.

"Then there came out a spirit [Micaiah does not tell us where he came from] and stood before the Lord [what an impudent fellow this spirit was] and said, I will entice him. And the Lord said unto him, wherewith? And he said, I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the Lord said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail; go out, and do even so."

We often hear of a gang of thieves plotting to rob and murder a man, and laying a plan to entice him out that they may execute their design, and we always feel shocked at the wickedness of such wretches; but what must we think of a book that describes the Almighty acting in the same manner, and laying plans in heaven to entrap and ruin mankind? Our ideas of His justice and goodness forbid us to believe such stories, and therefore we say that a lying spirit has been in the mouth of the writers of the books of the Bible.

-Paine, Biblical Blasphemy

Oh. Heh. Just poked through that quickly. Interesting.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Paine, if I correctly understand him, was an extreme deist. The God he believed in was inactive enough that for the most part, He might as well not have existed. Nonetheless Paine considered this God a creator and a model for virtue. I think. *ponders going to look stuff up*
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.