FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Timeline

Author Topic: Timeline
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from taking John and a friend to Timeline. They loved it! John kept asking what was real and what was fiction. He wants to go to France and dig-up castles.

As the rule goes, I liked the book better than the movie. But the movie was pretty good. The siege/fight scenes were mesmerizing and the kids even went "ooohh" during one especially artful scene.

I've been googling the last hour to find-out to what extent the city of Castelgard and the battle portrayed is real. While the kids are excited, I'd like to feed them some real history from the period/place.

Anybody out there know the fiction from fact regarding Castelgard and the battle of April 7, 1357?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was actually very predictable (which can be excusable in some cases) and that the acting, particularily the time traveling girl, I didn't find appealing. They should have casted a hot babe in her place for some good eye candy. Because thats what action movies need more of nowadays. Eye candy. Darn it, gimme my eye candy!

However, it was a decent movie, only had one too many moments where I wanted to bust out a line in a MST3K fashion.

I give it a B: worth seeing once, and maybe again at the dollar theater with a friend if you're bored.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book and the trailer looked so corny. Oh well, I'll probably end up spending $8 on it anyways.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
$8! No fair, thats two bucks cheaper than here!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, here too. The cheapest place I can get tickets here is $10! [Mad]

[Grumble] stupid corporate Elk Grove (my home town in California).

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
California has elk? Elks?

What IS an elk? Some type of deer?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of anything more expensive than 6 bucks around here, and I can get a student discount by showing my ID. [Razz]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what was real and what was fiction
I'm guessing that some of the time-travel parts were fiction. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a decent movie. Not spectacular, but I'm not sorry I spent the time watching it. Unfortunately, in the translation from book to screen, it developed some fairly serious plot holes. I also would have liked to see more of the 'present day' material from the book, but I guess that would have put a lot of the audience to sleep. Still worth a gander though, in my opinion.

-HC

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie today. It has been a few years since I read Michael Crichton's book, and I was surprised at how much of it I had forgotten. But that meant the movie was mostly new to me.

As a rule, I like time travel stories, but somehow it seemed a waste of high tech just to go back and slog it out among a bunch of semi-barbarians whanging on each other with swords and shooting arrows at anything that moves. And what kind of total idiots would travel into the middle of a huge and bloody battle fought by medieval thugs, without taking modern weapons with them? Why bother to take two marines with them if you don't arm the marines? They weren't even conversant in the weapons of the era.

So what if history is changed? History needs to be changed! The group traveling back in time should have been armed like the Stargate SG-1 team.

The "Greek fire" was kind of interesting. I did not know historians were entirely sure how it was made. The way it was presented in the movie, it must have included quick lime as one of the ingredients, since pouring water on it made it burn even more fiercely (water will ignite quick lime).

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I don't remember any marines in the book. I have yet to see the movie.
quote:
...and maybe again at the dollar theater with a friend if you're bored.
I wish I had a dollar theater somewhere around here... [Frown]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have a dollar theater?

Well, give Salt Lake a point for beating Jonny's town.

[ December 01, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
California has elk? Elks?

What IS an elk? Some type of deer?

Yes Lalo, I know the name of my home town is stupid. Elk is a type of deer, and a grove is a small group of trees that lack undergrowth.

It's always been a mystery what the name means. A grove full of elks? A group of cross-species animals that are elk-trees? Who knows what it means. [Dont Know]
[Wink]

In other words:
Here is my home town. [Big Grin]

[ December 01, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading the book now and judging from the research Crichton did with this I think that Castlegard is an actual place along with La Roque. I could be wrong of course.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Abrynne-
I got the same impression. I think that worst case, Castelgard and the pivotal French/English battle are an amalgam of events and places.

Though I've looked-up some of the books cited in the bibliography, I haven't noticed one that is dedicated to "Castelgard" per se.

I'm hoping I've missed something.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I took a semesterlong class on the Hundred Years War last year, so I know a bit about the literature on the subject. The Hundred Years War is a rather broad topic, so it may very well be that there are no books on just Castleguard. In most cases, only the most important or interesting battles merit a book of their very own. In my studies, I don't recall reading about Castleguard, so I doubt it was of particular significance. The other problem is that there is simply very little written by contemporaries concerning many of the events of the war. Very often, what we do have is poetic, incomplete or simply unreliable.

I read Timeline several years ago, and I recall that it was much better (and more interesting) than the movie. Still, I thought the movie was fine.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an interesting show awhile ago on the Discovery channel about Greek fire and Fire Ships. In that show the historians were able to recreate the ships and the fire. I don't remember the details..but they did do it all with materials and methods that would have been available at the time.

At the end of the show they sailed the ship and then attacked and burned another. I think the show was "Ancient Arsenal: Fire Ships" but I can't be certain.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated this book. I couldn't even get through it. The opening scene was kind of cool, then it turned into a two -hudred page chase scene with unhealthy short men chasing people with fifty-pound swords. It's sad. I WANTED to like it more. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see movies at the Matinee for 4.50, and the evening showings are 7.00.

Anyway, I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but every review I've seen has said the movies was absolutely terrible.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
That movie looked like B-list trash. Of course I may be biased against it, since the only Crichton book I ever enjoyed was Sphere.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on! Michael Crichton is an amazing writer! Haven't you ever The Andromeda Strain? The ironic use of the deus ex machina ending is a glorious counterpoint to the tension he builds throughout the book. And then there's The Lost World, with its brilliant recycling of the Jurassic Park plot. Most people don't realize that he took the entire text of the first book, changed a few key words, and bam! there was the sequel. Amazing. Utterly amazing.

[ December 02, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Sarcasm ]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Psshht to you naysayers!

I enjoy Crichton's research and readable style.My favorite Crichton book is "Eaters of the Dead" , though I think they've changed the title. Even with this one, I don't come away thinking, "Wow". Nor do I think character development is a big priority to him, but it's always a fun read with an interesting idea or two sprinkled in.

Never a waste of time in my opinion.

Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* Naysayer? My praise was sincere!

By the way, I believe Eaters of the Dead became the movie The Thirteenth Warrior.

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

:::pokes Sarcasm's belly:::
Thanks for the info on Thirteenth Warrior. I'll check it out.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's always been a mystery what the name means. A grove full of elks? A group of cross-species animals that are elk-trees? Who knows what it means."
Nick, congratulations! You found the Ent-wives!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm guessing that some of the time-travel parts were fiction.
*snort*

So, should I go see it? Just read the book? Read the book and then see it? Other way around? Avoid it altogether?

Nick, you live near Florin?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT read the book. The opening scene, maybe. (Sorry, LadyDove)
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to see this movie, but don't think I will now. Too many people have said the movie doesn't look good. Maybe I will read the book instead.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

:::stands behind kat, scrunches-up nose and makes bunny ears behind kat's head:::
Based on my own personal experience, I'd suggest that NOONE, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES eat raisins.

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Nick, you live near Florin?
Not really far away, but Florin Road is about a 10 minute drive from my house. Do you live near there? If so, what a wierd coincidence....

If you are close, and you want to know where I live, I would rather tell you through email [Smile]

nickmayo@comcast.net

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.