FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All you video game savvy people please help me

Author Topic: All you video game savvy people please help me
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting my 17 year old son an xbox this year with something called an "xbox live kit" and the dvd attachment thingy. I've decided I will get him 4 games to go with it. Could you help me with game suggestions please? He does not like role playing games and he does not like 1st person shooters. (He says those are much better on the PC) He told me that he likes 3rd person shooters and walk-arounds, whatever that menas.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore what the kid is telling you, here are the games to get him, if you want to be worshipped:

Halo
Knights of the Old Republic
DOA Beach Volley Ball
Enter the Matrix

Although, if you are afraid of your kid looking at too many scantily clad women, replace DOA Beach Volley Ball with Soul Caliber 2 or possibly Enter the Matrix

And again, IGNORE WHAT THE KID SAYS HE WANTS.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

Hrm, ok. He said he absolutely didn't want Halo but perhaps he just doesn't realize how good it is. I have three games that came with the xbox: tetris worlds, star wars: clone wars, and mech assault. I am still going to get him the other 4 though because I know that stock games that come with consoles can be very boring and low value.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
what the kid wants is shenmue II and jet grind radio. and like t said, ignore what the kid says.

::questions use of "kid" when she is same age as kid::
::decides to stick with "kid"::

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh.. you guys forgot 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' -- I havn't met many people that don't like it..
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhhh..... why would you ignore what the kid says he wants? That sounds like just asking to get the wrong thing....

Unfortunately, I don't know much about X-box games, so I can't help.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Halo's pretty overrated. The game bundle you're describing, sadly, also sucks.

My recommendations:

Knights of the Old Republic
Shenmue II
Dead or Alive 3
Fuzion Frenzy

The first two are single-player RPGs, with limited button-mashing and very, very long stories. (However, these "RPGs" are closer to walkarounds than traditional Japanese-style RPGs, so they're probably still what he's looking for.) If you don't think he'd like that style, substitute in a driving game; Simpsons: Hit and Run comes pretty highly recommended.

Dead or Alive 3 is a decent multiplayer fighting game for the XBox (with astounding graphics), and is less demanding in terms of memorizing specific combinations of buttons than many other games of its type; in other words, it's great to play with a parent.

Fuzion Frenzy can support up to four players at once without splitting the screen and consists of around two dozen "mini-games," most of which rely on just one or two controller buttons. Each game only lasts a minute or so and is easily explained to a new player, so it's good for parties.

I haven't played either yet, but I hear Hunter: the Reckoning and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance are both good third-person shooters (with RPG elements built in.)

Grand Theft Auto is a great game, but it's NOT one I would recommend buying for your child unless you've investigated its themes thoroughly and are comfortable with them in your living room.

[ December 01, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear good things about Knights of the Old Republic. Halo will only be fun if he has a bunch of friends that want to sit around playing with the jeep. Console and PC first person shooters tend to be a lot different in style so if he says he'll hate Halo he's probably telling the truth.
As for DoA volleyball, that's not very Mormon of you, T. I have to say that I thought this game was lame. I understand that there's supposed to be more to the game than the simplistic controls seem to suggest on the first pass, but I didn't take the time to, erm, "probe its depths."
To complete my disagreement with T, I don't know if Enter the Matrix is the best game of its type out there. If your son is a rabid Matrix fan, go for it. Otherwise, you might want to give it a miss.
What about the new Prince of Persia game? That's supposed to be fantastic. If he likes fighting games you could get Soul Caliber: 2. I don't really know what he means by walk around. Something like Grand Theft Auto?
It's really hard to give advice without knowing the guy. Does he have another console? What games does he own for those? What about PC games?

Meh, ulimately I don't own an Xbox so my opinion probably isn't worth much. But I thought I'd share it anyway.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized you're also getting him a subscription to Live; you do realize that's a subscription, right?

There are some games out there that are completely different -- and better -- experiences over XBox Live; Crimson Skies springs to mind immediately, as does Tetris: Worlds. A number of the first-person shooters (like Unreal Tournament) are Live-enabled, and are much more enjoyable in multiplayer that way than over the rather crippled split-screen format that's otherwise required.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
Scrap the whole idea, buy him a powerful pc and high speed connection, instal cs and you've got one vegetable coming up.

If you want the kid to have a futur buy only HALO and get him to play five hours a day, may win some cash in five months.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what's been said so far, but I'll also toss in a recommendation for Crimson Skies
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore the kid?! Common now! It sounds like your kid knows exactly what he likes, and most importantly, what he DOESN'T. Walkaround? Grand Theft Vice City, for sure. That's like asking for GTA 3. Enter the Matrix, highly recommended. You'll even like it, Dad. If you give the 11 button controller a chance!
Ummmm, MechAssualt SUCKS, and Tetris has never been the same since Nintendo, it willl get old QuICK. He doesnt want Halo because he prolly has it or wants it for PC. Don't get him Halo. Street Ball 2 is an excellent game if he's into basketball. Very arcade style. The Two Towers game was good too, but that's borderline RPG. Depends if he liked the movie or not. Those are a coupla recommends from an overgrown kid.

Bobby

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Again, I'd advise you NOT to buy him Grand Theft Auto. It's a good game, but it's not the kind of game you buy for your child. (Neither is Extreme Beach Volleyball, if it comes to that, but that wasn't a serious suggestion.)
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
As has been mentioned, the new Prince of Persia game (Sands of Time) is worth investigating, seeing as how he says he likes 3rd person games. Also, Soul Calibur 2 is a very, very good fighting game.

Edit:

SSX 3, a snowboarding game, is seriously cool.

[ December 01, 2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

I can definately see your point, Tom, for a child. But 17? I think as long as he isnt hanging out with gangsters and cleaning his gun nightly he should be alright.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The Beach Volleyball was a joke, Bob.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

Ugh, i'm having a very difficult time communicating well with this. Shoot the new guy. I was reffering to Grand Theft, but it doesnt really matter. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just coming out that way. All apologies....
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if T meant you or Bob the Lawyer.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's not that I don't think, at 17, that he can HANDLE the rather mature themes in GTA. It's that I don't think his parents should be spending their money to expose him to it. If he wants to spend his OWN allowance on gang-style killings, car theft, and hookers, more power to him -- but (and call me an old fogey for this if you like) I'm rather uncomfortable with a parental endorsement.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
My recommendations, mostly distilled from everyone else's suggestions:

Crimson Skies (to take advantage of Live)
Prince of Persia (innovative and attractive platformer; getting rave reviews)
SoulCalibur II or Dead or Alive 3 (fighting games, fun to play with friends or with you; SoulCalibur has cool weapons, Dead or Alive has otherworldly breast physics)
Munch's Oddysee (if by "walkaround" he means "platformer", then this is one of the cleverest examples of the genre around today; plus it's old and cheap)

This sucks because your kid hates all the genres I like [Smile] Halo, KotOR, Morrowind, and Hitman 2 are my favorite XBox games ... but you shouldn't get him the first three because he doesn't want them, and the last one's an iffy choice because of the reasons Tom is citing.

Do listen to your kid's preferences, though. Maybe he'll be surprised and like games he never expected to ... but more likely, he'll be surprised that you ignored what he wanted, or were totally ignorant about the games [Smile]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dead or Alive has otherworldly breast physics
[Confused]

These kind of breast physics? [Evil]

I'm not a gamer so I have no idea if "breast physics" actually means something other than the obvious in your world.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, T.
a) it was after midnight and my funny had already gone to bed. Sadly my self-restraint was still awake or that post would have been a lot more interesting.
b) I didn't want to pass up a perfectly good chance to make fun of you and then there was the line "probe its depths" which I thought was a delicious double entendre.
Although, I feel I should once again point out that my funny was already asleep.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Brute Force (Third-person shooter)
Soul Calibur 2 (fighting)
SSX 3 (Snowboarding)*
Tony Hawk's Underground (Skateboarding)*

Oh yeah, and apparently Max Payne 2 came out, but I haven't read enough reviews to know if that's really any good. But IGN did give it a 9.0, and that's pretty snazzy.

* Though I've played neither, I heard they're good, and their predecessors were great.

[ December 01, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*doesn't think Halo is over-rated*

I would honestly listen to this kid. I asked for the violent games when I was that age and my parents refused. I bought them myself. They always got me racing games. In spite I would always say, "That game is a bad influence, it makes me want to go out and drag race on city streets!" [Evil]

Listen to your kid's preference, it will you both much happier. You kid will be happy because he got the games he wanted, and you will be happy because he won't complain.

My parents just got me and Xbox for my 19th birthday this October, and they only got me Star Wars: Clone Wars and Tetris Worlds. Tom is right, that game bundle sucks.

*just bought and installed Xecuter Modchip 2.2 LITE Plus* [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"My parents just got me and Xbox for my 19th birthday this October, and they only got me Star Wars: Clone Wars and Tetris Worlds."

In all fairness, they DID spend at least $175 on your birthday, which is really pretty generous.

Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck..I'd just give him the xbox system and a gift certficate to whatever store has the best selection of games. That way he can pick out whatever games he wants.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
In all fairness, they DID spend at least $175 on your birthday, which is really pretty generous.
Agreed.

Oh Tom, I never said I didn't thoroughly enjoy the gift (still do [Wink] ), It's just those games got boring quickly. I have over 10 games now that I bought for myself. I play every day. It's one of the bests gifts I have ever recieved from my parents. I'm not ungrateful.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the X-Box! Go get a N64 and buy Smash Brothers. The best game ever!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

What is a modchip?
BobbyK
Member # 5970

Racing games.... BBAAADDDD.

Project Gotham Racing kicks arse, but you do feel like drag racing afterwards. I had to avoid playing it directly before driving for that exact reason. lol. Tom, you make a *damn* good point.

BobbyK
Member # 5970

ModChip - So you can play burnt games from the internet. Piracy. Wahoo!

<----Wants one

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Enter The Matrix
Freedom Fighters
Knights of The Old Republic
Splinter Cell

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
ModChip - So you can play burnt games from the internet. Piracy. Wahoo!
That's one thing you can do with it. I wanted to do something LEGAL with it. [Smile]
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't understand why people liked KOTOR. [Dont Know]

I hated it. I played it for a full 2 hours and I never liked it. I kept playing because I thought it would somehow get better, and it never did.

BobbyK
Member # 5970

Really? More you say? Indulge me please... takes on new interest.
Nick
Member # 4311

Basically you can edit savegames so you can "beat" Halo and have all the movies and without actually going through it on legendary level.

That's one way. You can store games on your hard drive. That's not illegal as long as you own the game before-hand. That's a few things.

Of course, you could pirate copies from other people without owning the games, and that is probably why most people would want the chip, but I don't want it for that reason. [Smile]

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Smash Brothers has Mario, Luigi, Link, Kirby, and even Jigglypuff. Get Smash Brothers!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Way of The Samurai is also a very good game.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

Nick

Very cool!!! Have you even tapped the ammount of space on your disk on the xbox? I think i have 30,000 pages already saved with it still registering 50,000+ available.

Nick
Member # 4311

I have replaced my Xbox's hard drive with one 15 times larger.

(120 GB)

Basically, I'll never run out of room, and I never need to have my game dvds with me to play on it. I can travel with it without the game dvds which is a big plus for me. [Smile]

BobbyK
Member # 5970

Sooooooooooooooooo cool! How much did all of that cost you? If you dont mind me asking
Nick
Member # 4311

Well, I did the labor myself. The Hard Drive was $80. Not that much. I own all the games I play just so you know. Well no, I rent sometimes. [Smile]
BobbyK
Member # 5970

Whoa, is that normal 80$ for that size drive? Or do you know somebody? No need to explain ownership, I judge not. [Smile]
Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cheap for a 120 gig drive, but very doable. I find that you can get some serious deals if you watch the sales at the office stores, Staples, Office Max, etc.

One question I have. With the mod chip, does Live still work? From what I have heard moding it breaks that.

Lerris

[ December 02, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Lerris ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Prince of Persia
SSX 3
Soul Calibur 2
Simpsons Hit and Run

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Over Thanksgiving, I bought a 250GB 8MB cache drive for $79 from CompUSA. That's not a deal I'm likely to see again in a while, though. [Smile]

I haven't modded my XBox, mainly because I'm very wary about playing with proprietary hardware; it'd be a shame if I turned it into an expensive paperweight if Microsoft ever releases a "patch" that checks for mods.

Nick
Member # 4311

If you even open the case, Microsoft's Xbox Live servers can tell, and you automatically are not allowed on the network with that particular box. It also voids the warranty.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.