FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC Plugging Arslan Again. Yay!

Author Topic: OSC Plugging Arslan Again. Yay!
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nowhere near as cheerful is M.J. Engh's brilliant but disturbing novel Arslan.

Originally published in 1976, then reissued in 1987 and most recently in 2001, there's a good reason why this novel keeps going out of print -- and then keeps coming back again.

It goes out of print because the story of an American town being chosen as the world capital of an Attila- or Genghis-like conqueror is so realistically grim that you can hardly bear to recommend it to your friends. You certainly can't give it to your children.

And yet no one has explored how power works within a community as effectively as Engh does within these pages. Do you want to get a glimpse of what it might be like if America were ruled by raw personal power? Not as evil as Saddam, the character of Arslan eventually wears a human face. But he can never be trusted, is capable of terrible cruelty, and any bargain you make with him is more of a bet, with him in control of the outcome.

Don't give this as a gift. Except perhaps as a gift to yourself, if you have the courage to look into the abyss.

I first picked this book up because the cover design was cool. Then I read a gushing quote from OSC on the back flap. So I read it, and was blown away. It's terribly beautiful, gripping, scary, all that.
It's the perfect gift. Really.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Relieved this isn't....>

Sorry, was that in poor taste?

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=019977

Did you see the "these people also bought.." items? All OSC stuff. [Smile] He should get a commission.

[ December 02, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, I think I'm starting to want to read this...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.