FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A serious proposal.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A serious proposal....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if we ever DO have a HatrackCon, would anyone object to charging an additional $20 of all the guests in order to buy Kama a plane ticket, provided John also promises to come? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me. Would that be enough?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you floated this past them?

Do we tap our forks on the side of our glasses if we want proof of mutual, same-plane existance?

I'd be happy to donate $20 to the Bring Kama to Hatrack Fund.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't mentioned this to either of 'em yet, but I think it's eminently clear that they DO have to actually spend some time in the same general area.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
<is glad there is no baby-eating being suggested in this thread>

I don't know if I could come; but if I can, paying an extra $20 to get to meet Kama sounds like a bargain!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
$20 to see Kama, sure.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a great idea. I looked up tickets, and Warsaw to LA to Warsaw is about $600.00. Would $20 be enough?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
For Kama? Sure thing!! For John? Don't know about that. Last I heard, he wanted to choke me, so I'm not sure that having him there would be safe for me...

[Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mephistopheles
Member # 3250

- posted      Profile for Mephistopheles           Edit/Delete Post 
If I gave $50 could I get a date with Kama?
Posts: 110 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have missed the HatrackCon thread - where and when is it?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, if we HAD to, we could hold the "con" in Chicago -- where it's $400 round-trip from Warsaw, and $200 round-trip from LA -- and fly John out, as well, for the same price. [Smile]
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
That's only 30 of us. I bet we could get that much, sure! Count me in.

But what about the other far flung hatrackers? Should we start a Hatrack Perpetual Travel Fund?

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
We could make it back by selling tickets to the John/Nathan choking. My money's on Nathan.

[ December 03, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Do we also need to take up a collection to hire a couple of thugs to ensure :Locke doesn't make it to the H-Con? Or are Strider and Frisco willing to do that pro-bono? [NOTE: I'm not talking about physical harm here -- just a brief detention].

---
BTW -- how is our resident precocious one? He doesn't seem to be posting much these days.

EDIT: decided to add Frisco's name to the mix.

[ December 03, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Or we could charge people to choke, noogie, or wedgie Nathan themselves!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Are you kidding? He has... muscles. And intelligence. A clear advantage over me.

I just have very fast legs, which don't help when you are trying to choke someone.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this about a HatrackCon? and where is it supposed to be?

I'll only pay for Kama to come if I can go myself.

If it's in the area I'll drive John myself!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
do we have to specify an activity? or do we just hand over $20 and get an hour of Nathan's time for whatever devious activities we want?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I think I'll just stay home...
celia60
Member # 2039

you heard him, people. hatrackcon at T_Smith's house!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Those were merely suggestions, of course. You'll be free to torture Nathan in whatever manner you find suitable.

w00t! I'm so there.

[ December 03, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Con at Nate's house! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

<<inaudible curse>>

Darn it, why does everything have to be about me!?

[ December 03, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

celia60
Member # 2039

It was always all for you T_Smith: the waiting, the hoping, the dreaming, the crying. I wish I could just hold on to something long enough for a change - instead - the inevitable yard-sale of the soul - me - the old tennis racket that never gets sold, returned to the wall in the back of the garage to wait for another day in the sun.

(These are exactly the kinds of temptations I should avoid.)

rivka
Member # 4859

There is something very frightening about celia and me posting the same thing almost simultaneously (it would've been simultaneous, if not for my slow dialup). [Angst]

[Edit: No, not that post, the earlier one.]

[ December 03, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'd be willing to contribute $20 at least. If the proposed hatrack con is in Chicago, I'm willing to help plan since I'm here. But I want something more concrete than the nebulous stuff flying around right now.

I also think that if it is in the Chicago it should be held in a suburb with rail access to downtown. (Not my suburb because it is too far west.) Having it in a suburb will be cheaper, and we can do a big downtown trip as part of the event. Probably something close-ish to O'Hare, like Des Plaines for example. Unfortunately the suburbs that I'm aware of close to Midway are more on the icky side, but there is rail access from midway to downtown, and then out to Des Plaines for about $10.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

celia's evil is an insidious and corrupting form of evil. No one is safe from it.
celia60
Member # 2039

[Kiss]

that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

and, rivka, thanks for the edit. surely we couldn't have been that in tune. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'd like to avoid Midway airport, anyway. I'd recommend something near O'Hare, on the Upper West Side, if we do a suburban hotel thing. It may also be easier to just do a downtown hotel, and have people shuttle from O'Hare.

Drive-times will be similar, regardless, except for people who live in the suburbs themselves.

rivka
Member # 4859

That's true. I've never thought of myself as a garage-sale tennis racket.

More like a bargain-bin book -- the one that was supposed to be a bestseller, but is now $1.99.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love the Chicago idea -- I just came from there -- visiting my sister in Naperville. Took the rail, and it wasn't too expensive.

And seeing as how that sister is the one who first introduced me to OSC by giving my kids Enders Game for Christmas several years ago......

I'm sure she'd let me stay with her if there was a Hatrack gathering..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
count my 20 bucks in.

but im still chanting 'greensboro greensboro greensboro' even though 'greensboro' has far more syllables than the traditional three syllable chant word.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I know something you people don't! Neener neener neeeeeener!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
A hatrack con in chicago would be infinitely more accessible than some where on the east or west coast.

And i'd gladly pay $20 to bring Kama over.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If we do the Chicago thing I suggest school time (weekend though). Of course that's kind of silly but that's what would work best for me. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

PC, if you're aware of John already traveling out to Poland to declare his undying devotion or something, you may as well say so. [Wink] j/k
odouls268
Member # 2145

not a chance of me going to chicago. not a chance.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

statute of limitations still hasn't run out?
odouls268
Member # 2145

dammit theyre on to me
[Razz]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I can't say what I know. Mum's the word. Unless things have changed, my information is not nearly as cheerful as you'd hope.

I'm glad to see you're still as optimistic as ever, Tom. [Razz]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! Finally, proof of Kama's reality.

Who is John?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Leto/Leto II/GreNME.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of doubt I'd be able to make it to an event outside California in the next 12 to 18 months. But you can tentatively write me down for $20 in 2005.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Tom, I think suburb hotel/motels would be cheaper overall than a place in the city. But you know the area better so if you think there are reasonable prices downtown I'm willing to go for it.

Also, a lot of people will use Midway. Even though we are closer to O'Hare we use it more ourselves. Why? Because Southwest flys out of there, and even when looking for specials they are often cheaper than every other airline. When I checked a couple of days ago you could go round trip from Chicago to LAX for $160 on Southwest while the nearest competitor was about $210.

I guess it all depends on peoples opionions of what they want in their hotel/motel. I'm a no-frills Motel6 kind of girl in most of my travels. As recently seen at the Cincinnati gathering, 4 person occupancy can lower costs to around $15 per night, which is very affordable. You have to bring your own shampoo though.

Now at Wenchcon they've wanted things fancier, and I have no problems with that but it does up the prices, even on packaged deals. So the question really becomes what is the participants concensus on the subject? I can see going one level up from a Motel6 but do we want to stay at the "motel" level or move up to the "hotel" level?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We want CHEAP lodgings. My hubby and I just bought land, and my play money is limited.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Boooring. Turns out I'm out-of-the-loop as usual, and my info is out-of-date. Curse you fates!
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Kinko's still offer videoteleconferencing? I was going to offer my 7 passenger van, but by the time I put my 3 kids in....
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Why bring Kama over on a plane? Can't we just download her?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Not without a wedding ring.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.