FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading teacher needs hatrack help!

Author Topic: Reading teacher needs hatrack help!
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Monday I started a new job as an eigth grade reading teacher. I've looked through the selection of books and they are complete crap! I have 250 dollars to spend (plus 35% off from local bookstore) on books. I want to start building a good collection of classroom sets based on similar themes. I actually already have one. There were ten copies of the Hobbit in book room, plus ten copies of Redwall. I'm going to buy ten copies of Enders Game and the three will be a SF/Fantasy unit. Not the best set as far as a common theme but simiar enough to be a start.

Now i need to decide on another theme and would like to buy 6 copies of five different titles. at least that would be ideal but other combinations of 30 total books will also work.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Eighth grade?

Bridge to Terabithia. Is that too young? It's wonderful, though. Absolutely wonderuful, and worth every bit of praise.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the real reason that book was banned was because it sparked a rash of giving unasked for puppies among friends.

The one thing I remember the class reading in 8th grade was Don Quixote, which I mostly didn't read, and I'm told it was way too advanced. I lean toward classics myself. With Troy and Alexander coming out...

Let's see, is there anything else that has been a movie that could get kids interested? The one book I have always loved, though someone dissed it at Endercon, was "The Great Gatsby". I read it in 11th and 12th grade.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The Outsiders
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I should clarify. I teach three general reading classes. Average kids with a good mix of those that like to read, those that can tollerate it and those that hate it.

I also have an advanced class of kids that love to read. (that's my favorite class!!) THese kids will at least read most anything I give them. They've already complained that the teacher that was here before didn't challenge them at all.

I also have an inclusion class. This is mostly LD kids and they have a much lower reading level but for the most part are very enthusiastic. I work with a SpEd teacher in this class and she has some really good books for them.

So mostly I want to focus on the average kids since they are my biggest group. THe above mentioned SF/Fantasy unit will pobably be used with my Advanced class.

Edit for stupid keyboard that skips entire words at a time!

[ December 04, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Odoul's recommendation - I remember reading SE Hinton's books in jr. high and loving them.

I like Madeleine L'Engle's books too. Maybe the Harry Potter series also, to get them really *interested* in reading.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How about some Twain, O'Henry, and Poe--An American Classics section. Especially Poe--there is nothing like a little death and revenge to get a junior high boy interested in reading.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jungle Book, The Great Brain series, and Louisa May Alcott for the ones who read at below grade level. Add the Artemis Fowl trilogy to your SF/Fantasy section. I'm also a big fan of Heinlein's adolescent boy period. The Rolling Stones, Citizen of the Galaxy, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Star Beast, Farmer in the Sky, probably ending with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

For your advanced readers, hmmm, When I was that age my favorite books were William Faulkner's The Reivers and The Unvanquished and Intruder in the Dust, Kazantzakis' Zorba the Greek and The Last Temptation of Christ, and Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. All of those have rather adult themes, though. Can teachers get away with that in public schools? Thank goodness my mom didn't believe in censorship.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want to add is PLEASE make sure you have a selection of books for your advanced (gifted) readers. My kids were SO frustrated in 8th grade when their Lexile would show they were reading at 12th grade level and beyond, yet the selection of books offered them nothing at that level...

I think at that age, my kids were reading Moby Dick, and David Copperfield, and other classics. My daughter was always very "into" the Laura Ingalls Wilder and other pioneer classics, and all of them loved the Madeline L'Engel books (but that may have been pre-8th grade...) They had pretty much read OSC by that age....

Of course, I have one gifted son who refuses to read anything beyond the level of Calvin & Hobbes comic books.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
As a middle schooler, I loved Roald Dhal (sp?!), so I'd recommend a few from him--such as 'James and the Giant Peach' and 'Danny, Champpion of the World'--although they're below that reading level, I think... 'Matilda', too, is a good one.

You could probably pick up some movie books--books written because of movies (or vice versa!). Since they're familiar with the characters if they've seen the movie, they'll relate to it. Plus, it has the franchise name on the cover, so it's GOT to be cool.

All of the above suggestions are good ones, and for your upper-level reading class, do include the classics. Or just have them on the bookshevles--the ones interested in reading (or who are above 8th grade reading level) will enjoy them.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that when I was about that age, I went through a Jack London phase. Do you already have a good selection of his stuff? I was also into Sinclair Lewis and Upton Sinclair at about that time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun was probably my favorite book all throughout Jr. High. If you decided to do a "Horrors of War" type unit, it wouldn't be a bad one to include.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

ooooo... I also went through a Jack London phase. Very nice. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could help, beatnix, but I quit reading in fifth grade and didn't start again until college. I kinda missed the timeframe you're looking for. I do remember in school enjoying such books as Watership Down, A Wrinkle in Time (et al), Flowers for Algernon, Durango Street, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Westing Game.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, good thought. Change my O'Henry to Jack London. Then you have the Classic All American Boy's Lit section.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a theme which teaches the kids to try to look at both sides of an issue?

Books I might include:
Speaker for the dead,
Bury my heart at wounded knee
Chief Joseph: I will fight no more forever
Joseph Brant: Mohawk chief

and I am sure that there are many more possibilities. There are a number of reasons this kind of thing might be useful. Speaking for myself, I don't think that I thought in any terms other than the "good guys" and "bad guys" of any conflict until late in high school. To view the revolutionary war through the eyes of Joseph Brant or the Indian campaigns through Chief Joseph would be invaluable. Perhaps even more so if you let the kids pick the book of their choice in a unit like this and give an oral report on what they learned.

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know that when I was about that age, I went through a Jack London phase.
*jaw drops

Noemon, you beat me to it.

(and you, too, katharina ) )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*delighted*

Which one was your favorite? My was Sea Wolf. I absolutely adored the Captain, and the way he was always filled with intelligence and power, even at the end...

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be strange......

absolutely hated Jack London, still do. So morbid and depressing....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it was White Fang. The chapter on The Love Master fundamentally changed the way I saw power and magnanimity in the world. (the link is online e-edition of that chapter)

And then, years later, I met Anne Kate, and I read her theory of how we are to animals. Circles coming back around. [Smile]

Tell me more about why you connected with the captain (please, when you have time).

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Yes! Jack London! [Smile]

I also think for the advanced readers, The Prisoner of Zenda and all the Ruritania books (there are at least 2 more, I think). Who are those by? Anthony Hope? I can't remember.

Along those same lines, Walter Scott is a great read. Ivanhoe and what else? All those swashbuckling ones are great. Lots of action. Also Three Musketeers and others from Alexander Dumas.

My girls really loved "Walk two Moons" (back to the lower reading level again), which I also enjoyed a lot. They went through a time, I believe under the influence of the American Girls stories, where they loved the Dear America Diaries series. I haven't read them but they are fictional memoirs of children at different times in American history. There was one about a girl on board the Titanic and I think a Revolutionary War drummer boy, and so on.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

More historical fiction: These two I loved. The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Calico Captive by the same author. Somebody Speare?

Oh, oh! Dodie Smith's "I Capture the Castle", newly reprinted! I love that book. The protagonist is a young girl maybe 14 or 15 years old.

[ December 04, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember 8th grade, but I know in 7th we read John Jake's American Bicentenniel series and the first two books of Jane Auel's saga. (The rest weren't out yet.) I remember having to put book covers on The Bastard if we were going to be carrying it in the halls.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm sure it will come as no surprise, CT, that White Fang was also my favorite. I remember really enjoying the short story "To Build A Fire" also. That was London, wasn't it?

I also remember enjoying a short story of his that seemed distinctly SFish to me. I can't remember much about it now, unfortunately.

katharina
Member # 827

To Build a Fire... was that where he was wandering through the Tundra, and tried to build a fire under the tree, with unfortunate consequences? And he stepped in the river...

If that was it, that was London.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I second kat's recommendation of Bridge to Terabithia.

ak, I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond! The author's name is Elizabeth George Speare.

I recommend E.L. Konigsberg's A Proud Taste for Lace and Miniver and The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Also Scott O'Dell's books, especially Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We read 1984, Dune, Something Wicked This Way Comes, 12 Angry Men, and Frankenstein in middle school.

I would advice against assigning "great" literature to kids. If you're just going to have it available, that's great; but I know that while I loved Anna Karenina when I read it this year (I'm a senior) I might very well have been put off reading altogether if I'd had to read it in 8th grade.

For the kids below grade level, I'd definately recommend Lyddie, it's still one of my all time favorite books.

I'd recommend The Giver for the more advanced or average kids. We read it in 5th grade, and I recently reread it and realized how much I missed. I wish my teachers had waited until we were older.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes! The Giver is perfect for 8th grade! A couple years ago, the 8th grade at my kids' school made it into a radio play and sold tapes. It was pretty good.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
For middle schoolers, particularly if you are trying to interest boys, I've had great success with Louis Sacher's Holes - both a fantastic read-aloud, or as a self reader. For something a little more serious, and for stronger readers, Isobelle Carmody's novel The Gathering is also fantastic at this level.

Also don't forget some of Roald Dahl's writing for adults and older readers; The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and his autobiographical Boy are wonderful.

For something a bit different, try looking into picture books for adults - I have used a number of them to teach everything from basic subtext in middle school, to quite advanced reading theory in an AP literature class.

A couple I can recommend are The Watertower by Australian Author Gary Crew - this is a fascinating and quite sophisticated story that relies almost entirely on subtext and visual literacy to reveal the full story. I have used it many times with 13-15 year olds.

Also both The Lost thing and The Red Tree by Shaun Tan Are very cool books for this sort of thing. The lost thing is great at middle school, and The red tree for a slightly older readership. There are also detailed teachers notes for both availaible online at Lothian Publisher's website.

Of course, I'm not certain what the availability or price of these books would be in America (I'm an Aussie) but I do know that they have all been published in the states, and IMO they're definately worth a look in - Like I say, I've had a lot of success using these types of books to introduce my students to some quite heavy reading concepts.

I won't take up any more of the thread with my carrying on, but feel free to email me if you want more info.

Cheers

Edit: sp.

[ December 04, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by the Kevin J. Anderson fellow. I hear he's got quite the silver pen!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend: A Seperate Peace by John Knowles, Number The Stars by Lois Lowry, Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry Mildred Taylor, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. These are all books I remember reading in seventh or eigth grade in classes. For your advanced class you should introduce some of the more classical science fiction like Jules Verne or Arthur C. Clarke. We also studied Jack London in my eighth grade class.

edited to try to underline

[ December 04, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Audeo ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I hardly consider 'A Separate Peace' a ninth grade level of reading
[Smile]

[ December 04, 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in an advanced English class 8th grade, and we read Night by Elie Wiesel, A River Ran Out of Eden, short stories and poems by Poe, The Wave (I really recommend this book), Macbeth, No Promises in the Wind & Nothing to Fear (these two books were about the Depression) and Salt on the Snow (a good book about racism and intolerance). In 9th grade we read Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Juliet, House on Mango Street and The Bean Trees.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
I quit reading in fifth grade and didn't start again until college
I knew there was a reason I like Papa Moose. I find Dumas riveting, and I bet there are translations that would work for middle school.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
How many kids in each clss, considering the number of books you're buying?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
For the less advance class, Snow Treasure. It's a true story of a town occupied by Germans during WWII that had a vast gold deposit which the children had to smuggle out on their sleds. It's so good, and no one has ever heard of it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Eagle Fur, by Robert Newton Peck. Excellent, particualrly for boys of this age.

The Dark is Rising Series, by Susan Cooper. Along with a study of anything Celtic . . .

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

The Three Musketeers, Moby Dick, etc . . . . just, absolutely - NO Grapes of Wrath (shudders)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
From one teacher to another:

First of all LOOK AT THE STATE STANDARDS. You will live and die by these, whether you like it or not. Then see if any particular books are mentioned. For the sake of your students, you will want to make sure they are familiar with the works. After that, see if you can find any broad themes. What books might help you teach those standards?

Right now, I am writing a Fantasy Unit for my G/T class, and you're welcome to a copy after I hand it in for a grade. Send me your email if interested!

If you want to chat, etc., please don't hesitate! I love lesson planning and working really cool stuff in around the Standards we are expected to uphold.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I REALLY recommend 'Holes'. The Dark is Rising series is very good too. I would say only 'Henry Sugar' and 'Skins' Roald Dahl is at the right age level. (The stories in 'Skins' are written for adults)

Other books:

-Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, not very hard, famous and riveting.
-Skellig by David Almond, and other Almonds. Beautiful, interesting and moving.
-Books by Gordan Korman cover a variety of lengths, ages and stories and are easy to read and hilarious (probably best for boys). Titles include: "Losing Joe's Place" , "Son of Interflux." , "Who is Bugs Potter?" and "No Coins, Please."
-Bloomability, by Sharon Creech, who also wrote Walk Two Moons, Chasing Redbird, both good. An easy read for girls, a happy story.
-'The Blue Sword' and 'The Sword and the Crown' by Robin McKinley. 'The Blue Sword' is easier and less complicated than 'The Sword and the Crown', but both are marvelous.
-I read 'I am David' in grade eight and although the language is easy it is a fantastically written book with plenty to think about and discuss.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Thanks for all the suggestions. My biggest problem is finding books that appeal to the kids. I work in an urban school were reading is not the most valued of skills (opinion of the students and not staff, of course). Although I really love most of these selections I really am not sure if they would fly with my kids. Now, my advanced class, yea, they would probably get into most of them. I have a plan for that class to expose them to as much quality literature as I can. Most of the students in there are reading at post high school levels (acording to their STAR scores) so that is an option. But my general reading student fluxuates between a 3rd to 8th grade reading level with most falling in the lower half.

Fortunately I work with a wonderful writing teacher. Her son and I went to college together and are very close friends and she and I have become great friends as well over the past two years. She grew up in Compton, CA and is very familiar with the attitudes, struggles, and difficulties these kids go through every day. SHe is also a huge fan of SF and Fantasy, so we are working hard on trying to come up with good titles as well.

Also, as Jenny mentioned I definately need to keep the state standeard in mind. Fortunately we have a pretty good curiculmn leader who has mapped out for us the basic concepts and skills our students should be taught through out the year. Most skills can be taught with just about any literature. I just need to be certain to highlight the specific skills while we read. But, that is something I love to do anyway and shouldn't be a problem.

To those of you that are teachers out there and have mentions coresponding I would be more than happy to do that. Right now the kids and I are at my parents visiting for the weekend but come monday I'll probably drop a couple e-mails to those of you that expressed some interest. Thanks guys.

-beatnix

pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Snow Treasure. It's a true story of a town occupied by Germans during WWII that had a vast gold deposit which the children had to smuggle out on their sleds.
Oh, I read that one. I have no idea how old I was, though. My sister had it. It sticks out in my mind as the first time I saw a "The events are real but names have been changed..." clause.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to tackle Shakespeare, I highly recommend A Midsummer Night's Dream -- it's fun, short, and definitely *funny*, one of the few of Shakespeare's plays that might be easily accessible to junior high students. We performed it in my 7th grade English class.

For your lower level students, I would definitely recommend Roald Dahl's books, as well as Harry Potter -- both fun and engaging. Also, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series is great.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
HATCHET by Gary Paulsen. Good writing, and kids really do like it.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.