Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wicked

Author Topic: Wicked
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
Im about 20 pages away from finishing Wicked by Gregory Maguire, and I have to say that this has been the first book to really catch my attention in a long time. I thought that the novel would be Wizard of Oz-esque (that is, that it would resemble the movie in tone) but I'm also very short-sighted. I enjoyed the novel for its characters, particularly that of Elphaba, and the exploration of evil and the devotion to religion, family and politics.

Is there anyone else who enjoyed the novel, or read it at the least?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll have to read it for English...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.I tried to get somebody to talk to me about it after I read it, but didn't have any takers.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this book. Gregory Maguire is fantastic. (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister was excellent as well, but I didn't really care for Lost) I wanted someone to talk about it with this spring, but I can't remember now what exactly it was I wanted to discuss...so Emp, you just read it - what did I want to discuss? Could you refresh me?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of the best answers to give to someone who complains there are no more ideas oin fiction.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.