FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Finals
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to anyone hacking their way through finals.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded.

However I must add: [Taunt]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Laugh now while you still can. But remember that when we've all graduated and you're just starting college, we'll laugh at you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my teacher friends, finals is FABULOUS when you're a teacher. Dead week and finals are play time!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I remember one Simpsons where there's a teacher faculty meeting day everyone has off while the teachers actually ride rollercoasters. Sounds like that.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Finals week will be smooth sailing for me.

It's just this week that's the problem... [Angst]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Though it was too late to save today's exam...

...#%&$ controller design problems...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I need much luck to finish my exams.
I have to diagram the first sentance of the Declaration of Independance. [Frown]
What a nightmare...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate finals. . .

Ugh. I know I'm gonna fail my Spanish final.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

My mom was a TA, and during my first semester of college she recalled the day a student of hers called her about an essay they had had all semester to work on the night before it was due. At around 11:00 pm. Classy as always.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you, Jennie. All of my big stuff is due next week. The final exams will be the easy part.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
All my big stuff is due tomorrow and Monday. And I had a big project today, so I have to do tomorrow's 6-page paper all tonight...

And I can't find any sources on my topic that I don't have to pay for, and the web is my only option because my sources have to be from France.

I'm having a little bit of a meltdown.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Yeah, I've been calling this the Week of Doom (it has since turned into two weeks...)

That sounds terrible, Annie! I have to write two french papers by 9:30 tomorrow morning, but at least my sources don't have to come from France. (((Annie)))

(((everyone else that has too much stress))) [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got all of next week to worry about finals - they're not until the week after. Though I do suppose I should be studying now. Funny, that might actually help me pass Greek. Turns out I lack motivation. As long as I'm pseudo-prepared for class tomorrow, I'm fine. All I have to do is memorize 35 paragraphs of Herodotus. In Greek. With the syntax of every word. Eek!

I'm not terribly concerned. My worst one will be Astronomy, because it's the day after Trilogy Tuesday [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I can't start this paper. Physically cannot. I don't have the necessary stuff in my brain.

I guess I'll just go to bed and get up at four and then I HAVE to do it. Sigh.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] I know you can do it my brilliant Annie!

I worked on AutoCad stuff for 5.5 hours this evening until we got kicked out the lab (it was closing, we weren't being dissruptive [Razz] [Wink] ) and now I've spent the past half hour or so doing more. The only reason I can still concentrate is that my roomate and I went for a run outside in our T-Shirts for 20 minutes. It's snowing. [No No] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My math final's too far gone. I'm going to try and retake it next semester. Hopefully, I'll get a better grade.

For English, I get to review FotR. On the downside, I had to condense the ENTIRE PLOTLINE into 75 words. 75! Physically impossible. I borrowed from 'Book-A-Minute'. Still 125, after I cut out some of THAT! Sigh.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie? *poke poke* Are you still alive?

I know what you mean about sources. I was extraordinarily put out that Dissertation Abstracts International CHARGES you for using the sources. Music Index does as well.

I know you'll make it though. Sleep some this weekend.

Thanks for the wishes of luck. I'm definitely going to need them. My finals start toDAY. [Angst]

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
You young whippersnapper crybabies. For those of us in the real world, every day is finals day. There is always some big project, proposal or job that has to be done RIGHT THE HELL NOW. None of this weeks to prepare and adjust and practice. Just do the work.

msquared(who is glad his last school final was over 10 years ago)

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
::loudly agrees with msquared::

Yeah! And if you wouldn't put stuff off until the last minute it wouldn't be so bad!

::goes back to working on funeral sermon that must be written by noon::

[ December 05, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
DKW, now that's what I call a FINAL!
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [ROFL] Horrible but funny.

quote:
But remember that when we've all graduated and you're just starting college, we'll laugh at you.
True. However I think I'll enjoy my life of blissful finallessness for now.

Hope they all go/went well!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I survived! And it really wasn't too bad!

and I've now been awake for 10 hours, and it's 2 pm, and I have to go to a formal dinner tonight until who-knows-when.

Wheeeeee!

butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
I despise finals. Especially those given by professors who don't wait until finals week because they have to go on vacation. [Mad]

As a second note: Dead week's name definitely should be changed. It's always my busiest week.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My Wednesday Arabic final doesn't start until 2 in the afternoon, so I can catch the midnight showing of RotK, get eight hours of sleep, and still get about an extra hour of study time before the final! 'Tis awesome!

Besides, on Monday and Tuesday my finals start at 7:00 am!!! I feel I am due some LotR action.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my teacher friends, finals is FABULOUS when you're a teacher. Dead week and finals are play time!

Or, in my case, a time of gnawing anticipation for the two hundred freshman essays that are going to hit my desk in five days and stare at me with their beady little metaphorical eyes.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to everyone. I have two essays due on Monday (8-10 pages a piece) and my professor has declared that we're not allowed to use any internet sources. I've actually had to go to the library to find sources (gasp). My actual finals don't start until 15th and are finished on the 17th. That's nearly two a day. terrible terrible terrible The good news is that after then I can go home and sleep throught Christmas and New Year's before I come back again.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimo
Member # 5933

- posted      Profile for Kimo   Email Kimo         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Annie and Hobbes are majoring in each other, I wonder what their final will be?

Good luck to all you slogging out this week.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimo
Member # 5933

- posted      Profile for Kimo   Email Kimo         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Annie and Hobbes are majoring in each other, I wonder what their final will be?

Good luck to all you slogging out this week.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeesh. When you put it that way, I guess it's a good thing that they're separated by no less than 10 states.

(I'm just kidding. I would never wish that you guys not be together. [Smile] )

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've actually had to go to the library to find sources
I realize this is at least slightly sarcastic, but frankly why post it unless you want us to feel bad for you? In case the world hasn't noticed yet, the quality of web sources, unless you have to pay for them is dismal. Go learn to use the library. It pisses me off to no end that people don't like having to go there.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got twenty (well, now fourteen) lesson plans to write before Tuesday at 6:00. And a syllabus. And I don't remember what else.

I have one more paper, 6-8 pages, to write. It shouldn't be too bad. What will be bad is the rest of the project. Due Wednesday.

I have two "finals" on Wednesday (who knows why my professors don't believe in finals week for finals!). And then a paper due on Thursday, which I've mostly written. After Thursday, though, I have only one final. Go figure.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I have one big paper and presentation due Monday, and then I'm done for awhile. At least I think I'm done for awhile... I'm sure I'm missing something due Tuesday...
Narnia
Member # 1071

*bump*

And so it begins.

My life will be better in exactly 5 days. How about yours?

*starts the countdown*

Annie
Member # 295

Good luck Cecily, darling!

It's dead week for me, and I just finished my art history term paper [Big Grin] I am a little more than relieved.

hansenj
Member # 4034

Five days it is for me as well. [Angst]

One response paper, one research paper, one french paper, three exams, and numerous assignments later the stress will be gone! Granted, I will still have three finals left for next week, but none of them are stress-inducing.

Oh how I long for Saturday!

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to go HOME on Friday! Real food! A soft bed! Getting a job... Wait.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
yay! Horse management down. I bombed the genetics bit, but the rest of it i did ok. Just in case you cared.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm....Two take home essays, a normal chapter exam, and an in class blue book test. Then RotK!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you all. I started a 12 page research paper at 1:00 pm last Friday, and finished at 5:30 am Saturday. Only 5 1/2 hours past the midnight deadline (it's an online class). The paper sucked, but I'm done with it, and good riddance. I'm still suffering jet lag from that one.

One more 12 pager due this Friday, but in much better shape. I already did the first draft and had it peer-reviewed. Now I have 5 days to do a revision.

Official Advice for Robots and Other Paper Writers in a Machine-Like Daze: "Double-spaced" is your friend. A 12-page double-spaced paper is really only 6 pages single spaced. And 6 is a much nicer sized paper. This kind of thinking has gotten me through many a long night in front of the word processor.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Isn't it funny how you can never write papers during normal hours? Even if you try. They only happen at 2 am. And they're really fun to read the next morning.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder*

I never reread a paper I wrote at 2 am. I just wrap it up and send it off.

By the end of my Friday-Saturday paper, I was pretty much just pulling thoughts out of the air. The whole thing probably reads like it was written by an infinite amount of monkeys.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck guys. *shudders* This thread is bringing back memories, and they're not all that much fun. *represses memory of 40 page paper due the morning after a power outage*

And I think I finally understand how some of my students managed to turn in the papers they did. *shudders again*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting my term paper tonight. The one due tomorrow.

Ah, procrastination, thou insufferable bastard. . .

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not terribly concerned. My worst one will be Astronomy, because it's the day after Trilogy Tuesday
Yeah, I'm seeing it at a theater that's an hour away, and then I have an 8:30 am final. That's going to be fun. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Man, my life may suck, but at least I don't have school during LORD OF THE RINGS WEEK!! Mwa haha haha haha!!!

[Taunt]

LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
Having only one final this semester, while taking a full course load, I feel I must tell others how to avoid numerous finals that can very well result in a stressful week or two. The key to having a simple finals week is going to a small liberal arts college. The professors tend to be too liberal to give out finals. They just can't fit in with the crowd, and I am left to reap all of the benefits. [Taunt]

If it weren't for Calculus I would have dodged all the bullets, but fortunately it was only a flesh wound.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Yay! My presentation on the monster paper is done!

I am stress-free for at least 24 hours!

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay for you!!!

My heaviest day is tomorrow and then I just have normal finals to deal with after that. [Smile]

Good luck everyone!!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A finals Post from the Dark Side.
Well atlast I have my final written and Xeroxed. It starts at 8 am tomorrow and then there is only the grading left to do.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.