FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US Returning to the Moon?

Author Topic: US Returning to the Moon?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that folks are expecting Pres. Bush to announce a new effort to get the US back to the Moon. Some sites have announced that he is expected to make the announcement on the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers' First Flight, which is two days shy of the 30th anniversary of our last lunar landing.

There's still a lot of speculation involved, including the possibility of planning a manned base on the moon. Who knows what will happen, though. I'm thinking that Bush took note of the Chinese announcement that they were aiming to have a Chinese lunar landing by 2020.

Back to the Moon?

Any thoughts?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am all for returning to the moon, and going beyond.

However, this seems like such an Un-Republican thing to do.

Massive budget deficit, calls for more tax cuts and smaller government, etc. What could make the Republican officials to back such a massive addition to our already overtaxed bank account?

A drop in the Presidential polls?

The Democrats were labeled, "Tax & Spend liberals" by Bush Republicans.

See, that is what the Democrats did wrong. They made an effort to appear to pay the bills.

The Bush Republicans are being labeled as Spend & Spend Republicans.

or perhaps, "Borrow & Spend, we'll be dead when the bill arrives anyway."

or worse, "Go bankrupt with unneeded spending as an excuse to cut frivolous entitlement programs like foodstamps, Republicans."

or most likely, "Pimp our principles to get relelected Republicans."

The Real Republicans won't stand for it much longer.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we invade the moon. It's too quiet up there. Those bastards are plotting something.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

"If you listen closely, you can hear them sharpening their skates."

-Dennis leary

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear they moon us every night. Disgusting.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

"i cant go anywhere, i cant walk. they- they've tied my shoelaces together."

"a double knot. bastards."

-HotShots! Part Deux

bone
Member # 5277

- posted      Profile for bone   Email bone         Edit/Delete Post 
Unrepublican? This is one of the sad fallacies of my party is that it often spends just as much as the Democrats do. In fact during the Bush administration goverment has expanded greatly. Homeland Security did not only add agenices together it added new positions. Not to mention now a $400 Billion dollar Drug plan for medicare. Also during the 80's the Democrats and Regan had a "sweet" deal going. He would let them spend massive amounts of money if they would give him the tax cuts he wanted.

In any case Republicans have very often been supporters of such projects. Few know that Nixson signed the endangered species act. He also added massive funding for goverment research. Bush also just recently signed a 1.3 billon (over 5 years) bill to support nano technology. All good things in my mind.

I tend to be a GOP who wants to tighten the belt on many things But I think research, transportation, judical, and education should be funded better than they are currently.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we never went to the moon. [Taunt]

Sorry, j/k [Wink]

I have to throw that out there for the morons who still think we never made it there originally.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no awe in going to the moon -- we did it half a century ago. If Bush declares a new trip, it'll be as a publicity stunt on the coattails of JFK, nothing awe-inspiring.

What might catch my attention is a base on Mars, but fat chance...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
which is two days shy of the 30th anniversary of our last lunar landing.

From CNN:
quote:
One thing is for certain. For at least another 15 years or so, astronaut Eugene Cernan's bootprint from December 1972 will remain the last legacy of man on the moon.

Did Bush make this announcment last year?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not too worried, or excited, about us going to the Moon. Its not going to happen. Why do I say that? Gut reaction I guess, but regardless of announcing the possibility, I haven't heard any fanfair either by Politicians or the Press. Most of the talk has come from Sci-Fi readers and space travel enthusiasts. The idea is stradling the fence of rumination and rumor.

Considering the lack of reasons to go back -- there isn't anything there to make it productive -- I would be against going without a clear purpose beyond "because why not." I say we work harder on getting people to Mars.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure what gains in basic science are to be made by going to the moon itself. But maybe Bush got that email about owning acreage on the moon. Maybe McDonald's is paying for the venture provided they get to label the moon.

I guess if they are looking at setting up a shuttle base on the moon, that could generate a lot of research. I do think that China shouldn't be up there alone.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for the US returning to the moon. And staying there.

<<ducks>>

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.