FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A quick question for English speakers...

Author Topic: A quick question for English speakers...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm working on a project in which we're translating a web site from French into English. This will really be used for the non-profit organization, so we have to do a perfect job.

I hit a word today, though, that I didn't know how to translate because I don't know enough urban english!

The word is cité, which basically means city, but in this context, it is used to refer to a certain type of urban housing project. It's kind of like a project, I guess - a group of identical buildings, usually subsidized. What do you call this? A project? Not a neighborhood - more definite than that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
subsidized-housing complex?

As far as I know, there isn't a definite name. I'm looking through HUD's site to see if there is one.

[ December 05, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I can come up with (here in Australia, at least) would be the term "housing estate" - which would imply a walled but not gated area of individual dwellings, often subsidised or first home owners. Don't know if that's the same the world over, though.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally these areas are called projects, but it has a bit of a negative connotation. Subsidized housing is also used probably without the connotation.

When I think of projects, I think of poor areas in Chicago and New York with 20 story buildings of cheap apartments.

Subsidized housing brings to mind a town with a neighborhood for "reasonably priced" houses, apartments and duplexes.

That's just me, though.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In Detroit, we used the term projects - as in "The Police will no longer answer calls from the projects."

The Purported Reason: During the last call, when the cops were inside, their police car was stolen.

Anyway, no, it isn't a term you'd ever want applied to where you live. Were you going for something that negative?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I so have a definite picture in my head of what you're describing, Annie, but I can't for the life of me remember the word for it. I get the feeling that the specific name for it is different depending on what region of the country this type of development is in. I think it's called the Projects by some people, and other things by other people...I'm gonna google it and see what names pop up that I recognize...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"housing estate" for me does not need a wall, it is just a group of houses built at the same time from the same builder. Perhaps that's what you want?

or "council housing", but I think that's the same as your 'projects'. Small, identical semi-detatched houses built by the local council.

[ December 05, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
It may be better to put it in a sentence where it's being used.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the "subsidized" part, and the negative connotation of "projects," what about "housing tract"?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Argent -- context might be helpful.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The hard thing is, it's the actual name of a place. They describe an educational putreach program they do in Cité de Galy,... something. Maybe just including that as an untranslated part of the name? *shrug*
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for untranslated. Though the word "compound" has come up in the world through it's association with celebrities. If it's educational in nature, "campus" would do.

[ December 06, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
Cite veut carrement dire Projects, cherche pas plus loin... (j'ai pas d'accents sur le clavier)

Cite in french is slang for projects, that is the exact translation.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, cheap subdivisions are often built that way, but I don't think it's universal or part of the term's meaning.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
"Projects" would be less intelligble to a British English speaker than "housing estates" or "council estates" would be to an American, I can imagine... so on balance I'd take one of the latter, or perhaps leave it untranslated.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Didn't "Fresh Prince of Bel Aire" familiarize more people with projects? Does France really have anything equivalent to a project? I know they have gypsy shanty towns. I'm not saying people aren't really poor there. But I thought projects were a result of the mass relocation of labor populations from the south.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a descriptive term, or part of the name of the city; even a nickname? That is what would decide the need or lack of need to translation.

I would also like a translation of the sentence it is used in, with the translation of the pre- and post- sentences that bracket the sentence in question. What this will show is if leaving it untranslated or doing the translation ruins the flow.

Both flow and purpose are important in deciding good translations of words.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ok, here's the original page.

And here is the phrase in context:
Une fois par semaine, un groupe d'animateurs part à la rencontre des enfants et des parents du lotissement des Marels et de la cité Gély à Figuerolles pour y partager le goût des livres et l'envie d'apprendre. (bold original)

Here's a rough translation:
Once a week, a group of directors go to meet with children and parents of the Marels housing development and the (Gély à Figuerolles projects) to share a taste for books and a desire for learning.

And yes, Pooka, France has a huge immigrant population, especially in Paris, the industrial cities of the Northwest, and the port cities of the south. Most of the ethnic residents are second and third-generation North African laborers whose parents were conscripted as factory employees in the 1950's when Algeria was still a colony. Many other residents of the banlieue, the economically disadvantaged suburbs, are Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian immigrants, blacks of African descent, and eastern european refugees. There is actually a lot of ethnic diversity in France - there are over 6 million muslims in the country, more than protestants and jews combined!

And Desu - une autre Hatraquien francophone? Chouette! J'aimerais bien de te parler quelquefois en français.

pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, well that's unfortunate. At least, I always heard of the projects as being not the best idea anyone ever had.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.