FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joshua 1:9 -- The Mooselet Saga Continues... (4/29 Surgery Update) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Joshua 1:9 -- The Mooselet Saga Continues... (4/29 Surgery Update)
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Please give Mooselet a BIG HUG for me!

What a tough kid...

And his parents are so bad either.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick reminder for those who have shown interest -- Mooselet's surgery is in the morning. We'll report in once we know how it went, but at least one good report -- in the pre-op with the ortho, it was determined that at this time he only needs surgery on one foot, not both. Thanks again for all the love and support you've given us.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reminder, Pop. ~~~~~Meese~~~~~
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Mooselet and your whole family will be in my prayers.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~Mooselet~~~~~
~~~~~Mooselet's Dr.~~~~~
~~~~~the whole family~~~~~

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
(((the Moose family)))

I'm praying for all of you, and hoping everything goes well. Papa, you and Mama are AMAZING. As is Mooselet for having to go through all this.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Moose family)))))

I hope everything goes ok. You're in my prayers.

(((((Moose family)))))

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*Sending good vibes to Mooselet*

Remember, it is not cool to steal his jello. [Smile]

(((Mooselet)))

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers coming your way.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Just added a little prayer for Mooselet and his parents.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~Moose Family~~~~
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm eagerly awaiting an update on the surgery, Moose.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about you all this morning. Do let us know how it went.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
prayers said and sent.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, we're home.

We planned to leave around 7:00 to arrive at the hospital by 7:30. We were a little late, but when the anesthesiologist called us last night, he said as long as we were there by 8:00 it would be fine. It was about 7:35-7:40.

Anyhoo, we checked in, then just waited in the waiting area for someone to take us up to pre-op. Mooselet spent this time wandering around the waiting area, and since this would be his last chance to walk freely for a while, we were fine with it. At one point, a nurse came out to get a different patient. When she came out the door, Mooselet pointed to her and informed us, "Mommy, Daddy! The nurse is here!" He then ran up to her and gave her a hug and a kiss. Thw whole waiting-room's worth of people chuckled and sighed, and the nurse said that he'd made her whole day.

So shortly thereafter, another nurse comes out to take us up to the pre-op room. We (Mooselet and I) got there right around 8:00, while Mama waited in the chairs down the hall with Superstation -- although both parents could be in there, the baby was a no-go. I answered a few questions, then the nurse asked me to write Mooselet's initials on his foot. For anyone who saw the episode of E.R. where Romano dealt with his injury, it was kind of like that. I actually asked if I should write "Not this one, idiot" on the other foot, but if they hadn't seen that episode, well, it wouldn't be quite as funny. I was also told to write on his foot, then after writing the first letter (in non-easily-washable purple ink) the nurse said it should be higher up the leg.

Now we're waiting for the anesthesiologist. Mooselet is playing with toys and watching T.V. I'd gotten up and looked out the door to see if anyone was coming -- the nurse saw this, asked if I was looking for my wife, then told me she was feeding the baby. Ok, that's fine. I had actually been looking for the anesthesiologist (I'm tired of typing that word, so from now on it's Dr. Ward). Fifteen or so minutes later, Mama comes in with Superstation -- I'd missed it, but the nurse who brought us up to the pre-op area told her that as long as Superstation was quiet it would be fine. Well, he was quiet.

It was a couple hours later when Dr. Ward finally got there. Shortly before that, one of the nurses had gotten a call from him, and was directed to give Mooselet a dose of versed -- we like to call it "the loopy drug." When the doc did get there, Mooselet's eyes were as glazed as a Krispy Kreme. He gave us the standard spiel (since this was Mooselet's eighth time under anesthesia, we're all pros now), and let us know he'd just be using a mask (a good thing, because last time Mooselet's throat didn't recover for a while).

Mooselet was ready to go, so off he went. We saw the surgeon (his ortho) on our way out, and he gave us a quick reminder of what he was going to do -- release the tendon behind the big toe so it wouldn't pull the foot in so much, and release the ligaments back by the arch of the foot. If after doing that it didn't appear to correct enough, he was going to cut the bones in the foot. Never quite clear what exactly that was supposed to do, other than make it better somehow.

Behind closed doors they went. Mama and I then headed down to the cafeteria to get something to eat. It's between breakfast and lunch, so there's not much there. We each opt for a cinnamon roll (big cinnamon rolls), and Mama got milk. I was going to get a flavored coffee milk foam cappucino-ish type thingy, but the machine was out. We sat down, I ate while Mama gave Superstation some cereal, then she ate while I gave him more cereal. Hungry kid. I asked someone about the coffee drink, they refilled the machine, and I got a cup to go. Then we headed back up to the waiting room where Superstation charmed everyone who saw him, and Mama and I read (she a Reader's Digest, I Crystal City).

They called my cell phone a little while later to let us know Mooselet was done -- medium-rare, I guess, because it didn't take too long. We headed up, but this time the rule was one parent only, so it was me again (woohoo!). He was already awake, and everyone said he'd been wonderful throughout. Of course shortly after I got there, he started to cry. *sigh* Not much, though -- a little whimpering, and he asked if I could please take the cast off now.

Doc came by. Nothing necessary with the bones (also good, because if the osteotomy had been necessary, it would have taken much longer and Mooselet would have needed an I.V.). I signed a couple papers, they pull the monitors off Mooselet (again crying, but not my fault this time), and gave him a teddy bear, on whom they put one of the monitor stickies. They loaded me into a wheelchair, and I carried Mooselet out while Mama pushed the stroller with Superstation in it. Mooselet cried and fussed much of the way home, but is now happily watching Toy Story 2. The local anesthetic will be wearing off soon, though, so it could still get bad. *crosses fingers, but gets ibuprofen ready*

All looks good so far. He's got the cast on one leg, but it's all below the knee. When the pain subsides he'll undoubtedly walk on it. We see the Doc for a follow-up in a week and a half (instead of the aforementioned four days), when he'll get a more permanent cast for the next five weeks -- one that fits better, not allowing the room for swelling that the current one does. After the cast comes off, he'll get new braces for both legs, which he'll wear for some undetermined amount of time.

Mooselet is still a little whimper-ey, but probably less than one might expect after something like this. I guess he's been through it so many times now that it's no big deal. Oh, they also sent us away with a list of instructions. They're numbered, and the nurse is supposed to circle the numbers that apply, but since some apply to nearly everyone she circled them before noting that he was only two years old. Thus, Mooselet: should not drive a vehicle for 24 hours; shouldn't operate any appliances or partake in activities that require reaction time (e.g., using the stove) for 24 hours; shouldn't smoke for 24 hours, but if he insists on smoking shouldn't do it alone; should not make judgment decisions for 24 hours; and, should have no alcohol for 24 hours.

All of these things are apparently ok tomorrow afternoon.

We suspicion he'll want/need a good deal of attention over the next few days, so my Hatracking time will be almost non-existent. I probably won't have time to do much more than check for responses to this thread and watch for landmarks that need to be added to the archiving list. I'm not ignoring you, though -- it's not you, it's me.

Might have left something out, but I spent too much time writing this already. If anyone has specific questions I can try to answer them. Appreciations again for all the good thoughts and prayers. Remember, those prayers can still work retroactively *smile*.

Oh, and happy birthday, Rainbow!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*retroactive praying ensues*

Glad to hear it went well, Moose. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Moose family))))) [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear Mooselet's surgery went well.

Hugs and prayers from our house to yours.

Gee, I am surprised they only let one parent in at a time, when our kids had surgery, we both went into the recovery room every time (we went through surgeries with our kids a total of 3 times, in 2 different hospitals).

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it went well. [Smile]

Mooselet is very fortunate to have the parents he does. Give yourselves a pat on the back, Mama and Pop.

(((((Meese)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

(((Mooselet)))

He's an amazing kid. I hope the cast & braces aren't too much of a pain. At least he got by withtout the bone stuff...

Yeah!!!

[Big Grin]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbow says "sankoo". [Smile]

I'm glad everything went so well this morning. And that's great news about not needing the osteotomy. I understand that adds time to the healing process and is fairly uncomfortable, at least as compared to a tenotomy (if that's what it's called). I can just imagine what a sweetheart of a kid Mooselet must be to ask, first thing, if you could please take the cast off now please.

((( Moose and Squirrel family )))

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Meeses)))

I'm glad to hear he's doing well, Pop.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Mooselet))))
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of these things are apparently ok tomorrow afternoon.
So, what you're saying is, party at your place?

I'm glad he's doing ok.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
God Bless, Papa.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
All my best wishes go out to Mooselet and the rest of you family Pop.

quote:
They called my cell phone a little while later to let us know Mooselet was done -- medium-rare, I guess, because it didn't take too long
[Big Grin]
Funny, endearing and clever - no wonder the Meeses are Hatrack Treasures.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying, retroactively and...proactively (?).

The Meeses are, indeed, treasures. As usual, imogen is right on the money.

*hugs the Meeses, Mooselet most gently*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad things went well - Mooselet is highly thought of in our house, even though we've never met. My mom is especially fond of the picture of Mooselet and all those post-it notes. [Smile]

Anyway, sending good thoughts for a quick recovery.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about y'all yesterday and I'm so glad that Mooselet's surgery went well. I wish him a speedy recovery!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Papa. He is such a little trooper. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.