FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now here is a question... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Now here is a question...
Mephistopheles
Member # 3250

- posted      Profile for Mephistopheles           Edit/Delete Post 
...for a rather slow sunday afternoon. It may be deeply troubling to some, spark innovation in others, if you feel that you are ill prepared to handle a question of this magnatude then I must ask you to make like a tree, and get out, how ever if it is something that you can handle please read on.

We have all seen it (or well if you haven't then start looking) the pants (outerware here folks get that mind out of the gutter (I suppose it may just be my mind that is in the gutter, but i digress)) that many women are sporting these days that have words of various sorts, on the bottom of the clothing. I think this is an odd thing, words on one's ass? Is this an explosion of desire to have people look at one's butt? (I know that I nearly always at least make an attempt to read what is written). The results of much exparmentation have yeilded that is is probally not so, due mostly to the glares, laughs, etc that I have recieved during this proccess. (This could be that I am not the type of specimen these women were hoping to attract). Thought, further questions, and comments (hopefuly from the women themselves, although proxys will be accepted as well)

Posts: 110 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have writing on your ass, you are not allowed to glare at people who look at your ass.

That's MY opinion, anyway.

And I don't wear writing on my bum.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this trend is stupid. What I find most disturbing about it is when I see young girls wearing these shorts. What parent in their right mind wants people looking at their young girls ass!?! I do not understand it. In my area the girls athletic teams have their names on the back of their shorts. I would like to know who thought this up so I can ask what they were thinking! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's even worse? I saw a young girl (my guess is about elementary school age) wearing a shirt with a playboy bunny on it... to church. What kind of parents allow that? What kind of priests?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. It's right up there with "slinky" clothes for 4 year olds. [Eek!] [Angst]

Not on any child of mine, thankyewverymuch. No matter how much the price is marked down (because other parents weren't that stupid either? thank God!), not even if they were free!

[Edit: I was responding to dawnmaria, but it works as a response to Julie too! Eeek!]

[ December 07, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow, the things that pre-teens (and older, but that's a slightly different rant) wear make me very sad. I worked at an outdoor ed place until a week or two ago, and the girls from grade seven (and younger) would be wearing these tiny tight shirts and pants... And makeup! Now, it's cool, experiment, I did it too (not much, admittedly, which is probably why I can't apply eye shadow to save my life), but when you know you are going on a hike, at night, and you are not going to be allowed to bring your flashlight, why do you need to put on your makeup?? You know that noone will be able to see you even if they tried, and yet we've got enough makeup for a clown convention! *sigh* And if you need to wear your $200 jogging suit on the nature hike, don't complain to me if it gets wet because you fall in a puddle. It's CAMP, for pity's sake, not the Hilton.

Ummm... Sorry, Hatrack... That didn't start out as the incoherent rant it became... I'm still not entirely recovered from camp...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem at my camp. If you know you're going to be there a week and there's rain in the forecast, then why don't you bring waterproof shoes? And extra dry socks?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I supposed I shouldn't have gotten those pants with "Sexy" stitched into it, then.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
They know where to advertise, I guess. Location, location, location.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, you don't need 'em, T.

I do think this is an idiotic trend, and I refuse to have anything written on my ass. Mostly I refuse to have anything written anywhere, but sometimes a souvinier tshirt or something is ok.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I can't wait to hang out with hot Nathan. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, feel that this is a perfectly valid form of self-expression. I know that whenever I consider purchasing a pair of pants, I always ask myself, "What is my ass saying with these pants?" I want my ass to be bold and confident. Cool, hip (no pun intended), and sophisticated. Phat. And I find that the right word or phrase can really spice up what would otherwise be a mute, boring ass. When people look at my ass, they're going to say, "That's an ass that like to party. That's an ass that I would want to be friends with."

Or if I'm going on a job interview, I'll wear my pants with the words "qualified and dependable" on the ass, so that when I turn around to leave the interviewer's office, he or she will know that I'm a winner.

Or if I'm ever living in a crowded city with a high-crime rate, I can wear my "don't hurt me" pants.

And, by the way, Julie

quote:
What kind of priests?
You're kidding, right?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] [ROFL]

I wonder what mine is saying... [Angst] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
What is almost as bad as the writing on the butt is the pawprints. ::shudder::
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Pawprints: "My ass loves animals" or "Animals love my ass"
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

...this could be very bad.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Instead of a hatrack t-shirt, we need to have hatrack ass jeans.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Goes off to write "I love Jehovoid" on pants*
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I really find the trend very disturbing. I was in the local park one day a month or so ago, and I saw a girl, couldn't have been more than 9, with shorts on that read "hottie". Aside from the main problem, here's another one, from my standpoint. Words written anywhere tend to draw the eye, and here I am, in the park, a 24 year old guy, by himself, looking at a little girls butt. Only briefly, mind you, but still. Is there any way to avoid looking like a sicko in a situation like that? The only real reason I think about this at all is because a lone guy can easily make some very wrong impressions, just based on the fact that he is alone, so you have to be very concious of how your actions may be (mis)interpreted. Especially in a high density, family area. But maybe it's just me, as I care about the perception people have of me, to some extent. I don't really care if they happen to think I'm a nice, cool guy or not, but I'd rather not have mothers and their children avoid me because they think I'm a sick pervert, if you get what I'm saying.

Err, that seemed to diverge from the ranting about stupid fasion trends, didn't it?

-HC

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Stop looking at my ass, lalo. I see you.
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you see me? Does Foobonic tell you about how I made you my desktop, or what?

And yeah, way to go, refer to me after I delete my post out of fear it might hurt Meph's feelings.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

And you don't hurt my feelings by never calling me back?

[Frown]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Call you back? You called me at all? Crap, did my phone number get out on the Internet, now? I don't want deez hos tyin up mah thug line!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine told me that he once saw a girl wearing a shirt that said "Stop staring at my breasts" right across the front.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mephistopheles
Member # 3250

You won't offend me, regardless of what you were going to say, it is all taken with a grain of salt anyway since your state did elect Arnold governer.

----

I think that words on the ass of pants are just further proof that people, women in particular will (no offense, you buy more stuff), buy anything that is marketed. Another case of this are the shirts and other apparel that have the playboy bunny on them.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought Meph was joking when he said women buy more stuff. *laughs* Disagree. [Smile]

And T_Smith, you woulda saved a lot of money if you had just spray-painted the words on your tights.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mephistopheles
Member # 3250

The disagreement with my post seems to be that, two of the women here at hatcrack seem to think that we men purchase more stuff. Perhaps I am inncorrect, however the good in question is clothing, which, while nearly everyone I have met owns more clothing than I, most of the women that I know well enough to have some clue as to volume of clothes that they own, they all have far more than any of my male friend of whom I have simalar knowlage. The clothes certainly were not involved in amorous relationship in they closet (horizontal stripes + vertical stripee = plaid), leaving the only logical result as they bought these clothes.
Zotto!
Member # 4689

I'm a dude, dude. [Smile]

Actually, in my experience, my GUY friends buy more clothes than my female friends. It depends on the kind of person they are, not their gender. However, I'm sorry if I came off as rude, since my "disagreed" doesn't leave a lot for you to know HOW I disagreed. [Smile]

[ December 08, 2003, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger problem is that since I hate being out of the loop, I have to check every female butt and chest just in case something's written there. And you know how they always tell you to read the fine print? Well....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

The moose is the best. [Cool]
Hobbes
Member # 433

I just want to chime in and say that I too hate this trend. I devloped the habit of reading anything I saw (that goes for signs and announcments and just about everything else). So I of course just naturally read stuff on people shirts and pants and then suddenly realize where on their shirts and/ pants and feel really guilty. [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm not even gonna to run my ass-tattoo idea by you guys.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a hot booticus I'd totally wear writing on my pants. Fortunately for the sake of moral superiority, my buttocks is the last thing I want to draw attention to.

Good thing writing on shirts is still acceptable.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Okay, so I really didn't have an ass-tattoo idea before...but now I think a derby and a plus sign on my left cheek would make for a great rebus.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Am I allowed to be schocked in this thread, or should I have just expected it based on the starting topic and who posted in it?

Just in case: [Eek!]

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

Ralphie: [ROFL]
Frisco
Member # 3765

I don't usually buy stuff with company logos on it, but if GAP made those booty shorts, I'd buy some.

"GAP, huh?"

"Actually, it's more of a crevice."

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The only words that will ever appear on my derrier are "Levis" or "Lee" or I guess "Calvin Klein" because they were the jeans for $20 at Sam's Club that fit me, even though I'm not a big name brand person.

When I was on the swim team though, there were a lot of club logos printed on the butt. When you are face down swimming like you are with 3 out of the 4 strokes, it really isn't obvious what team you are on. One of our club competition suits had this little shark icon on the right butt cheek at about the same location you would expect a tatoo of the same. At least that is where it hit the girls. Logos on guys Speedos in the front end up in er, interesting, spots. There just isn't enough surface area on guys speedos to put a logo anywhere modest.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the worst are these shirts with two hands, one on each breast, and it's written "don't touch".
A lot of girls wore it here a few years ago, and I found that quite disturbing.
It's maybe because of girls like that YOU are not being trusted when you say peole tried to touch your breasts or ass without permission...
EDIT because my grammar is awful

[ December 08, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, out of morbid curiosity I went to the Speedo USA webstite to see what the latest designs were.

Guys cover your eyes because these were designed especially for you. I need to ask my brothers how they are being worn. If you wear them under your outer speedos or if that is actually all you wear!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
How can guys swim fast when they keep having to stop and pull that thing out of their butt?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, that's the appeal - since it's meant to get all crammed up in there, there's no need to stop and pull it out.... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we Jatraqueros should get booty shorts that say "Hatcrack."

[ December 08, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know what to get you for Christmas. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like clothing that dates itself. Timeless classics -- now there's something I can get into. Brands come and go, but a nice set of dreadlocks, that's the ticket. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Appropriate things stitched across pants bottom:

1) This end down.
2) Stuff inside may be smaller than it appears.
3) If you can read this you are too close
4) Gas Alarm. If blue, all clear. If green, it was the dog.
5) Help, I'm being held captive in a back pocket.
6) No Trespassing. Violators will be shot.
7) Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate unless empty.
8) Do not open til X-Mas.
9) Warning: Contents may be hazardous to your health.
10) How is my walking, Please report unsafe speeds and bad behavior. Call 1-800-Walking.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
10) How is my walking, Please report unsafe speeds and bad behavior. Call 1-800-Walking.
*laugh* This I love.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
one more:
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.