FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Psychos behind the wheel

Author Topic: Psychos behind the wheel
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anybody has had somebody threaten to beat their <WICSH>* in a parking lot?

*WICS: Word I can't say here

I was driving along a city road and I needed to buy some torx bits from a hardware store. I saw a Kragen auto parts store and figured they would have them. I pulled into the parking lot and a truck backed up speedily into the lane I was driving in. I had to somewhat firmly apply the brakes in order to not hit the truck. The truck saw me and stopped, thinking I could go by. I tried, but realized I could not make the gap with my car.

He also realized this, and he backed up further so he could continue to leave his parking space that he had partially occupied at that point. I gave ample room for him to do so. He moved forward and then suddenly slammed on his brakes, and came to a stop. I saw his reverse lights flash very briefly, which is usually indicative of the car being shifted into the "park" position. I see a door open. He comes strolling towards my car and knocks on my window, looking very angry. [Dont Know]

I crack my window just barely and he starts screaming at me, "Why were you trying to pass me? The person backing out of parking space has the right-of-way in California <WICS>-hole! When you pull stuff like this, somebody is going to beat the <WICS> out of you! Do you understand me?"

I told him that I understood what he was saying, but what he was saying didn't make any sense. He just said that if I do things like that, he said that somebody will beat the <WICS> out of me. Over and over again. I calmy said I was sorry to upset him and that seemed to make him a little less hostile, so he got in his car and left.

What on earth could I have done to piss him off? [Eek!]

Anybody have any insights on what could have happened? I'm guessing he was on speed. [Dont Know]

[ December 09, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure he was just insecure and his rage was an attempt to mask his the fact that he is dumb.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time drive with Slash.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people take what happens while they are behind the wheel WAAAAY too personally. I know, they're even more common 'round here. [Razz]

As for "The person backing out of parking space has the right-of-way in California," he might wish that to be true, but 'tain't!

Nick, it wasn't you, it was him. And likely, he's sufficiently idiotic to act that way without chemical assistance. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You never know... he could have been a jatraquero!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I call this short-guy syndrome. It's usually indicative of a man who was genetically "blessed" by being able to walk under low tree limbs without the worry of head-injury.

This kind of thing only happens to me when I'm sitting down. If I were in your situation, and the gentleman in question was obviously un-armed, I would have let him have his say, slowly opened the door and stood up. Typically, one look at my 6'4" frame will shut people like this up. If not, a quiet but forceful "shut up and get out of my face" works wonders.

Mmmm... being genetically superior to short men... <drools>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Is 5'8" weighing about 180 pounds. I'm not the biggest person there is....
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spektyr
Member # 5954

- posted      Profile for Spektyr   Email Spektyr         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that the powder-keg of this explosion was something entirely unrelated to the spark that set it off. Probably some looming personal or financial problem had been eating away at him for quite awhile, and he lacks the ability to deal with problems effectively (most "hostile" men do).

So when the "misunderstanding" in the parking lot made his life marginally more difficult than it would have been had you not existed, the bomb went off and you were just the closest target.

Just sigh, chuckle slightly, and move on.

Someday this guy is going to run into someone just like himself. Two powder-kegs waiting to explode. If he's lucky only fists will be involved, some minor injuries, and a police report.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick you did the absolutely correct thing.

Anything fancy, threatening, or confrontational would have had damage done to your car, at the least.

Although it would have been tempting to smile and say, "Jesus loves you." or "I guess I'm luck a man isn't here to try it now, aren't I." would have resulted in a very unpleasant afternoon.

Some men are jerks.
Some men have days when they are jerks.
Some men have jerk moods that hit them.

Overall, some men are just Jerks.

Please replace the word Jerk with the more appropriate explative of your choice. I prefer the other word for mule myself.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, when I was a teenager, I had a guy follow me. That night I had made a left turn from a side street onto a busy street. The man was driving on the busy street and was apparently annoyed that I was driving in front of him (my pulling out hadn't forced to have to brake or anything). So, he followed me to the grocery store I was driving to. I got out of my car and walked (very quickly) towards the grocery store as he started yelling at me (something to the effect of "next time you try something like that I'll be driving a new car"). I suppressed my urge to turn around and point out that, since I hadn't cut him off, if he had hit me it would be him paying for nice new cars for both of us. I have to admit I was really shaky though while wandering around in the store.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some men are jerks.
Some men have days when they are jerks.
Some men have jerk moods that hit them.

Overall, some men are just Jerks.

I believe you mean ALL men...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Speak softly and carry an uzi.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one similar once. When I came out of a store, I had a note on my windshield that read: "If you ever want to know what an <WICS> looks like, just check your rearview mirror"

I have absolutely *no* idea what I could have done to tick someone off like that. The trip to the store was uneventful over mostly backroads, and I can't see how I could have ever cut anyone off or anything. Very strange.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Wrong windshield.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Mack:
[Big Grin]

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
One time, during Christmas shopping, my mom was down at the mall trying to find a spot. She did find one, after about twenty minutes of looking. However, after she pulled in, a woman in her car pulled up behind her and said several things, many of which rhyme with "Duck shoe" and "Trucking Punt." The woman then left, and my mother, unsettled, went about her shopping and thought no more of it.

Later, of course, when my brother took the car out, he came back quickly and asked, "Did you know that someone had keyed the holy hell out of your car?"

So it appears that this woman, incensed that my mom had gotten a parking space, thought that it was a good idea to take vigilante action against my mother's humble teal minivan. And she seriously keyed it, she redid it about a dozen times, long, long scratches down the side.

I'll agree that some people are jerks, but, generally, I'm somewhat of a hot head, and if someone got in my face for no real reason I'm more than likely to do something about it. I'm not saying this is wise or anything, I'm just saying it's probably what I would do.

That being said, I would still like to beat the WICS out of the woman who keyed my mom's car.

[ December 09, 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.