FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gunslinger on Audio

Author Topic: Gunslinger on Audio
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on disc 6 of the unabridged Gunslinger and it's fantastic. The quality of the reading is right up there with Jim Dale's Harry Potter and the Outlander series.

What a story. I know there have been other threads on this book, but I'll just say that I'm definitely hooked. Additionally, the guy doing the reading does a fabulous job of personifying the Gunslinger.

I understand that the book has been re-editted by King for this latest release. I don't know what it was before, but it is wonderful now. The characters are crisp and fully-developed. The setting is vivid, though sparsely mentioned. For me, this is a classic travel tale that is more about the choices of the journeymen, than it is about reaching the end of the journey.

The writing fits so well with the timber of the reader's voice that I feel like I'm watching a movie.

Plaid, I thought I'd mention this because you posted today and if you haven't listened to it already, this will be a great holiday gift to yourself.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the world of the Dark Tower addicts. At least YOU get to start now that he's finished writing all the books. [Smile]

Remind me to tell you sometime about the decade-long gap between one of the meanest cliff-hangers of all time and the follow-up. *grin*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Timing is everything! [Smile]
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LadyDove!

(looks at library catalog) cool, my library's got a copy of the revised edition on cassette

I listened to the first edition a few years ago... it was OK, but I had trouble getting enthused about it -- the rules of the Gunslinger's world seemed too arbitrary... then I started listening to the 2nd book, and it introduced a drug addict as a main character, and I have no sympathy for addicts so I didn't get any further than the start of the 2nd book...

but I keep hearing good things about the Dark Tower, so I'll give it another go sometime soon, thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

I'm finished through Wolves of the Calla.
Maybe I'm speaking from infatuation, but IMO, this series is fabulously consistent in quality of both writing and content.

I care about the characters and the Tower and the Rose. The characters continue to grow in a logical and positive fashion; the plot continues to twist and fold out of and into itself. It's always familiar, yet constantly fresh.

That said, I have one beef. It really bugs me that King seems to be advertising another of his books within the content of this series.

I don't mind the good Father making an appearance, but the push to read Salem's Lot seems a bit heavy handed. Likewise, I was a little miffed that King put his own name on the bookstore menu and named Roland's father after himself.

After thousands of pages, I just... I don't know. I thought this was a labor of love more than a commercial venture and ego trip.

Yes- I am revealing that my rose-colored glasses are firmly in place.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Tom, I'm ready to hear the story. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.