FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cummulative Gift Totals for 12 days of Christmas

Author Topic: Cummulative Gift Totals for 12 days of Christmas
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
12 Partridges and Pear Trees
22 Turtle Doves
30 French Hens
36 Calling Birds
40 Golden Rings
42 Geese A'Laying
42 Swans A'Swimming
40 Maids A'Milking
36 Ladies Dancing
30 Lords A'Leaping
22 Pipers Piping
12 Drummers Drumming

The formula may be expressed as:

# items in each occurrence of gift (e.g., "5" golden rings)

multiplied by

13 minus the number of the day that the gift first appears (e.g., the 5 golden rings are first given on the 5th day)

So 5 x (13-5) = 40

Sort of takes the mystery out of it, but there you go.

It looks nice in a bar chart, by the way...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I love math geeks. I will never be one of you, but I can still love you. [Kiss]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Are the 12 Days like a restaurant? Can I substitute the partridges for 12 more Ladies Dancing? And forget the geese and swans, I wants me more Maids A'Milking!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grasshopper
Member # 1055

- posted      Profile for Grasshopper           Edit/Delete Post 
And Natalie Cole actually has an awful rendition of this song that uses the cumulative totals. [Frown]
Posts: 450 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The gifts in Bob and Doug McKenzie's version are a lot better, in my opinion.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Heh...for some reason, I don't see you trading in any of the above for seven packs of smokes. [Wink]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah, okay, so I guess I wouldn't take the beer and smokes, but the french toast and back bacon sounds alright. And who wouldn't want five golden toques?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Frisco, what are you planning on doing with all those Lords A-Leaping?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Go out and buy some video cameras with Steady-Shot, that's for sure.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Personally, Jon Boy, I have no use for 22 turtlenecks.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, for crying out loud! Why don't you go register the name scrooge75, eh?
saxon75
Member # 4589

Take off, eh!

Hoser!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Nob.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Steamroller, eh!

::steamrolls Jon Boy::

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I have to dig up the litmus test movie thread for that one!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Those big cons are gonna love you, eh.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember how disappointed I was to learn that the 40 golden rings were ALSO birds.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How about how many legs are there in the song? ei, Partridges have two legs, each maid a milking has six legs etc...

Anyone up for that?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Geese rule the Earth! Run! [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh wait, did I say the Earht? I meant Chiristmas gifts. Sorry about that, here's a candy cane.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago I ran across a site that claimed the 12 days was written as a subversive catechism for Catholics during the persecutions in England.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's more elegant to write out the solution as a sum of the factorials from 1! to 12! or:

f(n) = SUM(n = 1 to 12)(n!)

The (n = 1 to 12) is part of the summation notation. n! is just the factorial of whatever is (in this case the whole integers between 1 and 12, inclusive).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wait—you mean that rings are actually birds? How the heck is a golden ring a bird?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, while the sum of factorials might be more elegant, it's not correct. I believe the simplest form for the total number of items received as of day n is n(n+1)(n+2)/6.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The first seven gifts are all birds, as in the original French version of the song (which, sadly, only survives in fragments.) The "colly birds" -- NOT "calling birds" -- are blackbirds, and the "five golden rings" refer to ring-necked pheasants.

(BTW, one fun thing about the song is that, in the original, the lyrics were meant to be somewhat fluid; in the earliest-surviving English version, the song is introduced as a traditional call-and-response parlor game, in which a singer would add a gift for the appropriate day, in the appropriate rhythm, and everyone would have to remember that gift as the song went on.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
12 Partridges and Pear Trees
22 Turtle Doves
30 French Hens
36 Calling Birds
40 Golden Rings
42 Geese A'Laying
42 Swans A'Swimming

Song lyrics, or Christmas Dinner menu at the Cheney residence?

[ December 13, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Additional thoughts on 12 days of Christmas:

Actual cost.

The recipient.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What I want for the holidays:

5 Golden Rinnnnnnnnnnnngggs (and one to rule them all)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Another possible reaction by the recipient.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.