FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Possibility?

Author Topic: Possibility?
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to solve a linear programming problem with multiple factors? Such as this one -

" It’s only one month away from the final exams at your school and you need to study! There will be three tests – Latin, Algebra I, and English. Each of your teachers has required you to study for a given amount of time each week leading up to the exams. It is up to you to decide how many days out of each week you will spend studying and how many hours you will spend studying on each of those days. Your Latin teacher has asked you to study up to 7 hours per week, your algebra teacher has asked you to study up to 8 hours per week, and your English teacher has asked you to study up to 6 hours per week. Considering the amounts of studying you need to do each week, you decide to spend as many as 5 days studying each week. How many hours can you study each day while minimizing the number of days you spend studying per week and fulfilling the requirements set by your teachers?"

It doesn't seem possible to have the constraints -x<6
x<7
x<8
x>0
y>0
y<5
How would you define between the different subjects once it's graphed?! I think this is impossible...unless it's a 3-D one...which I don't know how to do... [Confused]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't seem to be much of a linear programming problem. You need to study a total of 21 hours worth per week. You will take at maximum 5 days per week doing that. Spreading out the studying evenly, you could study as little as 4.02 hours per day. The minimum number of days is actually subjective, as no maximum number of hours per day is specified. You could theoretically do all 21 hours in one day.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like that problem...and thanks for settling my qualms.
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Study for a maximum of 8hours total. None of the teachers specified what you had to study.

Did you study 8hours?
Yep
Did you study 7hours?
Yep, plus an extra hour.
Did you study 6hours?
Better than that. I put in two extra hours.

I'd suggest cooking.

[ December 12, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.