FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hug Thread v2.0.1.7b (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hug Thread v2.0.1.7b
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I'm too disaffected to find the old one, and I need one really bad. And I'm not the only one, you know who you are.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] ----------> [Smile]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
HUGS TO ALL!!!!! [Kiss]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
{{{Bernard}}}

Some of you know the story of my last day....

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this hug thread is a more user-friendly than the last.

(((Bro)))

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Bernard)))))

(((((The other mysterious people mentioned in this thread)))))

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<khe khe>>>>>>>

<<<<<whoever you are>>>>>>

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] so now we have 2 hug threads? [Dont Know]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Zelvag)))) Hope your server gets back up!
((((ana kata)))) Get better!
((((Raia))))
(((((Bernard))))) [Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss]

[ December 12, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
link to other hug thread

Just because I felt there should be a link to it here.

(((((satyagraha)))))

(((((Eruve Nandiriel))))) actually there are still a few more, several intended for hugging one person specifically,this one , the one I put a link to a minute ago , one for anna , the pay per hug thread , Homestar runner , Anna Kate , Belle , Apostle Radio , T_Smith , Shira

((((((Belle)))))) ((((((T_Smith)))))) ((((((Shira)))))) ((((((Anna)))))) ((((((Anna Kate)))))) (((((Apostle Radio))))) ((((((Homestar Runner)))))) I hope things have improved for each of you

(((((Bernard))))) (this is BYu Cnslr, right?)

(((((MaydayDesiax)))))

(((((zevlag)))))

(((((ana kata)))))

(((((Shan)))))

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Raia))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) [Kiss]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

Hey Marek! Thanks for linking to the old hug thread for me. I had forgotten about it. Things do get better, don't they?

<<<<<<<everybody>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a very selfish person, lazy, and narcissistic. I'm not liking myself much lately. Still want to hug me? [Frown]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

<<<<<<<<Jenny Gardener>>>>>>>>>>>
ana kata
Member # 5666

I know my name is confusing, so I periodically try to clear up the confusion. It's Anne Kate, ak, aka, or ana kata. Though I am flattered if ever confused with any of the Annas, I'm not called Anna Kate, even though it's easier to say and would make a cool name for somebody. [Smile]

Just trying to clear that up before it spreads. I spent a long time being called Anne, which really isn't me, simply because I was too timid to correct people. <laughs>

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: hugs Jenny ::
Everybody is a smidgen selfish every once in a while.
Stayagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
This is kinda off-topic, but I'm really afraid to post on the other hug thread. Does anybody else think that this: (()) is reminiscent of something not brought up in polite conversation?
I'm very disturbed whenever I see the name of that thread, and have to look elsewhere. [Angst]

(edited to remove potentially offensive scientific term)

[ December 14, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING!!! This post contains stick-figure violence and the scientific name for a reproductive organ!

How to properly refuse a hug. [disclaimer for fugu:it's only a water gun]

And, oh yes...(())(())(())(())(())(())(())(())(())

Vulvae for everyone!

[vulva: The orifice of the oviduct of an insect or other invertebrate. Apologies to the dirty minded souls who assumed I meant the other usage.]

[edit: I'm not so good at irregular pluralization]

[ December 14, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
uh...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That was way, way over the line.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness, I don't see how it's any more inappropriate than the original observation. Is it that he enjoyed it more?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Satyagraha))) It's a rough day when you misspell your own name. That's why I don't usually even try to put mine.

Vulva is not slang. It's the medical Latin. Though any word referring to a specifically female item (or person) becomes derogatory over time. The usage here is gross, but I'm discussing the overall problem that you practically have to be a doctor to use that word without people thinking you are gross.

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that the Volvo logo is a Mars (male) symbol? Is that supposed to be overcompensation or what?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the link, Tom. Also, his post in the hug thread was similarly inappropriate.

Frisco, you know better.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Actually, I don't.

That link is the same drawing I've been using since it was inspired by the original hug thread. It may be tired and boring, but come on...

I see David's and Eddie's posts going unchecked, "s***" and "a**" going unnoticed, butts, boobs, and middle fingers getting encouraged...and I'm supposed to refrain from making a comment that's been made a number of times, without opposition, over the course of three or four threads including this one?

Please...

I will admit that my post in the other hug thread was pretty bad, though. [Razz]

*slaps own wrist*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I guess I didn't see and click on the link earlier, because I would've commented negatively on that drawing at any time. Its in poor taste.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

How about this link?
fugu13
Member # 2859

There's humor and there's crude humor. The link isn't even particularly funny; there's much better crude humor out there. But even if it were funny it would still be inappropriate for this board.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Then I don't think you'd know funny if it took the form of a rake lying in your yard, and you stepped on the business end and the handle came up and whapped you in the forehead. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

*nods judiciously*

You're improving a little bit, but still a preference for rather bland humor. You just described something that could happen, very literally, and its only humorous if you think its going to be humorous in advance, or if given visual indicators. You'd be decent on something like SNL which relies on visual and aural clues to cue the audience to laugh, but your jokes don't have sufficient substance to go beyond that hack market.

[Wink]

Frisco
Member # 3765

psst! fugu!

[whisper] Your transference is showing. [/whisper]

Frisco
Member # 3765

It has come to my attention that fugu (and possibly mack and Ela) interpreted my "How to properly refuse a hug" sketch as (using the words of an anonymous AIM buddy whom we'll refer to as "gufu") "a forced sexual encounter leading to violence".

My reaction(paraphrased): [Eek!]

I think you might have the Eddies confused.

[ December 14, 2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing that it was about hugs, and accounting for my habitually dirty mind, that looks like the scene from a bad soap opera:

"the long-lost couple greets each other"
"they kiss"
"they get to 3rd base"
"they get kinky"
"person #2 says, 'I'm really your husband's best friend in disguise'"
"'you bastard!'"

An overdramatized Cosí Fan Tutte, if you will.

Nevertheless, relax -- this is a hug thread, after all. It's not like he posted tubgirl or anything.

[ December 14, 2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka,
quote:
By the way, does anyone else find it odd that the Volvo logo is a Mars (male) symbol? Is that supposed to be overcompensation or what?
No one drives a Volvo who's overcompensating. I think you can make a very good argument for the opposite in fact.

Volvos have always been considered "practical" cars. If you drive a Volvo for a million miles, you get a free car.

Volvos are driven by men who wear "Spectacles" and eat government cheese.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be practical. (Well, actually not news to me). If my primary car wasn't a VW it would definitely be a Volvo.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief. The stick figure is ducking to avoid a hug, not going down on the other stick figure.

And I get pegged for having a dirty mind.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I certainly didn't mean to offend. I find the "bird" symbol that some people are using is bothersome, too. Personally, I don't understand why "vulva" must be an offensive word or concept. I thought it was the scientific term, and that other terms would be rude to use. I didn't click on Frisco's link, so I have no clue what all the ruckus is about.

I just wanted to bring up an awareness that certain symbols can be unsettling to readers of this forum, and perhaps influence their creators to use them less. An empty "hug" looks like something not usually brought up in polite company. Perhaps that's how I should have broached the subject. [Frown]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Actually, the breathing orifices on an insect are called something else. I'll edit this post after I look it up. And the empty hug does look like the breathing orifices of an insect, or stomata on a leaf. Forgive my unimaginative interpretation above.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Spiracle, Jenny

Thanks for repeating the statement Frisco was asked to remove, Ela.

I've seen the hug avoiding cartoon before, it's stick figures, right? I didn't see anything sexual about it, and I have diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So some of you people are really gone. I guess I have to pass the "most uptight Hatracker" trophy on to another.

[ December 14, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Thank you! Spiracles.
mackillian
Member # 586

Fine. I won't use that symbol anymore. Or any other offensive ones.

Okay?

And I'm apolgize for thinking of Frisco's usage vulva was offensive.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Sorry you think some people have dirty minds.
Ela, this would not be an insult coming from me. [Smile]

I do find it funny that the first time I heard someone take offense at it I had to stare at the pic for, like, ten minutes to figure out why.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{Bernard}}}}}
{{{{{Zevlag}}}}}
{{{{{Shan}}}}}
{{{{{Emp}}}}}
{{{{{Raia}}}}}
{{{{{ak}}}}}
{{{{{Eruve}}}}} The more the merrier?
{{{{{Mayday}}}}}
{{{{{Marek}}}}}
{{{{{Jenny}}}}} Yes. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It wasn't the pic, it was the word usage.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

OH YOU'D LIKE TO THINK THAT WOULDN'T YOU
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Marek, I’m very touched that you did put a link here to the thread in which I told about my problems with my sister. Some of you have probably noticed that I was in a horrible mood the last two weeks.
Well, I had a lot of problems in the same time, let’s tell the most important:
The father of my father died.
My father’s dog, who was still mine, died too.
And my driving school stole me money.
About my grand father I don’t know what to tell. He was a horrible man, I haven’t seen him since ten years, he basically tortured my father in his childhood, with his wife (my father’s mother), and had inexcusable attitudes toward my mother and my sisters and me. So we’ve been forced to cut all contacts since a long time, but my father saw them from time to time since my mother’s death (can you believe it, them going back, ready to “forgive” my father, when my mother just died???). I know my father is very sad, because even if his father was horrible, he still wanted in a little part of his heart getting better with him, and now it’s impossible. I think that’s what hurts him most. And since the dog just died he’s all alone in the house, and I’m worrying a lot. I asked him to go and spend a few days with him, but he didn’t want me to. So we just ate together, my father, Vincent and me, Saturday. I’m trying to feel better.
About my sister, she’s still crazy (no, really, she is… About a cousin who’s going to marry a guy whose parents are dead , she told “well, she should be happy, she won’t have in-laws to see every week-end !” and that’s just an example and not the most shocking…) but I had a very long explanation with her and she seems to have forgiven me (but I didn’t apologize, because I felt in my rights. It’s better than what I do usually…).
The driving school… That’s just a money thing, but very irritating.
Thank you Hatrack for being there, I don’t know if I could have support all this without you.
(((((Everyone)))))
And don’t worry for me; I’m fine, sort of. This could be far worse, and I always try to put a smile on my face and face the life with a song in my heart. [Smile]

EDIT : I typed this online because it took some time. I didn't know that the hug thread would have derivated this way. [Grumble] [Wall Bash] [Grumble]

[ December 15, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has come to my attention that fugu (and possibly mack and Ela) interpreted my "How to properly refuse a hug" sketch as (using the words of an anonymous AIM buddy whom we'll refer to as "gufu") "a forced sexual encounter leading to violence".

My reaction(paraphrased):

Uh. I'm a rapist?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

[Roll Eyes]

*sigh* Yes, Eddie. Either that, or between the two of us, you are more likely to post sex-based stick figure sketches.

'Tis the season to look for a reason to get pissed off, I guess.

Anyone else I've offended? Anyone get offended by my rake humor? My psychology reference? My use of the word "orifice? Don't be shy. Let it all out.

I'd give you all a big --l-- (which, by the way, means "f*** you"), but apparently using the word "vulva" is more offensive.

VULVA VULVA VULVA! PENIS PENIS SCROTUM!

gah.

Frisco
Member # 3765

Heh. That last post was a typo. It was supposed to read, "No, Eddie. I'm sorry for the confusion."
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
*sigh* Yes, Eddie. Either that, or between the two of us, you are more likely to post sex-based stick figure sketches.

Since I'm rather entertained by this deeply sincere apology, out of interest, what are you basing your belief in my supposed tendency to post cartoons of violent forced sex upon?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Wow. You quoted me, and still managed to put words into my mouth. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I venture to guess that you're the only one who read that as an accusation of you being into rape drawings.

Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:

My reaction(paraphrased):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I venture to guess that you're the only one who read that as an accusation of you being into rape drawings.

Oh, my mistake. I must have misinterpreted your claim that of the two of us, Fugu's charge of drawing "a forced sexual encounter leading to violence" would better fit me than you.

Of course that doesn't suggest that I'm into rape drawings, only that I'm more likely to draw them than you are.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.