FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All I want is one ring...

Author Topic: All I want is one ring...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Really - just one ... is that so much to ask?

*bats eyes*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you'd told me that before I got your Christmas presents.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Actually I searched the site and found that that was $400 (on sale). I don't think I'll be getting that for you until I get what is classically known as "money". [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

$400? Wow. That was an expensive dobie.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o

I thought I was unsubtle!

Sheesh! When I wanted a ring, I mailed a ring sizer (you know, one of those cardboard things with numbered different-sized holes in it?) with the appropriate number circled.

OTOH, that is a beautiful ring! [Smile]

[ December 15, 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I didn't really do much looking at ring styles, that's jsut kind of the first picture I found
LR
Member # 5109

- posted      Profile for LR           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my girlfriend a white gold ring with a heart shaped emerald and four little diamonds two to each side...let the christmas nookie begin...some more...ok so i found the gold mine the extremely intelligent and horny girl...god i love petite brunettes [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Now I wish I had the money to get Annie some more bling-bling.

<--*Feels selfish for not getting a job this last summer*

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

(In case anyone was wondering, that last post was mostly a joke as if I had that kind of money I would visit Annie instead of sending very beuaitful, but also very dead material to see her).

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Silly Hobbes, Annie is not about the bling-bling.

And to everyone else, and for the record, I was being rather tongue-in-cheek acting like the girl who wanted sparkly little presents.

Girls who let themselves and their standards be bought, as I have sadly observed some of my friends doing, are typically girls with low self-worth. Luckily, I have a guy who would never ask me to compromise who I am for any sort of remuneration. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

ha ha. I love how we both have to clarify our flippant comments. It must be late.
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I HAVE my precious, and Bernard has a matching one. [Taunt]

[Wink] But I'd like a ring like that someday... Preferably, along with a four-word question... [Evil]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Preferably, along with a four-word question...
Are you really pregnant?

Is he my kid?

Where's my other sock?

Is this any better?

Actually, Annie, I thought you were hinting that you wanted to get engaged.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: [Laugh] [ROFL] The third question, definately.

[ December 15, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Girls who let themselves and their standards be bought, as I have sadly observed some of my friends doing, are typically girls with low self-worth.
No freaking kidding.

I just saw a couple of friends of mine break up, and I swear, the tipping point for the guy to break it off was the girl not being able to STOP CHATTING ABOUT WHAT A BIG RING SHE WANTED.

He's in dental school, so he's broke, although he won't always be, and she just really, really wanted a great big sparkly so much that she was willing to pay for it, and he just needed to indicate it was time for her to buy it.

It wasn't that it was about the ring, but the entire episode was indicative of some very fundamental differences between them, and when he drove down to her house (four hours away), she was expecting a proposal, and he broke up with her.

<oops>

[ December 15, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
ugh, no kidding. i hate the whole big ring thing.

i thought women didn't have dick measuring contests, but we do. the amount of crap i took for having such a simple engagement ring was absurd. he could have gotten it out of a gumball machine for all i cared; i wanted the committment, not the freaking jewelry!

and buying a wedding ring was impossible. i knew what i wanted, but they were so convinced i wanted something bigger and better. eesh. honestly, i was in lafayette for the first time when i found my ring because that was the first time i was in a jewelry store not in the south. those clerks helped me find what i was actually looking for.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The strange thing is that it often seems like simple quality jewelry is more expensive than something ostentatious. I liked your ring Celia. Extremely simple and practical. Similar to what I want actually. Something functional that isn't going to scratch me!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

::nods:: Mine's fairly simple, too, considering some of the promise rings my friends have gotten: Correlle's boyfriend gave her one with real diamonds! (in her case, however, it was a graduation surprise and she had no idea) Ours are perfect for one another, condsidering what Tolkien freaks we are. [Wink]
Hobbes
Member # 433

*Sits in thread and takes notes*

[Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I designed my wife's ring, it's white gold heart with a diamond in the middle and six smaller diamonds in the heart. It means more than anything else to her. It was less expensive than your run of the mill ring and a whole lot better looking. That's the way to get her to say "yes."

[ December 15, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother, a BYU student, would never have been able to get even a pinpoint diamond for my sister in law, but her wedding ring is actually made from the stones from a few of her grandmothers' rings. It's gorgeous.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My brothers all have diamonds of my mother's to put in wedding rings.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the middle one did that for his wife. I have no idea. *muses*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I got a ring that was a family heirloom -- all he had to do was pay to have it resized and replace one of the little diamond baguettes. It was a gorgeous ring -- the diamond was quite large and very high clarity, of a cut that is rarely done any longer, and in a beautiful setting.

A friend of mine who had gotten engaged shortly before I did was examining my ring and looked kind of upset. Hers was a simple solitaire, and quite lovely -- but the diamond was unquestionably smaller. I told her that if my chosson (fiancé) had had to buy mine, it would have been invisible. Good thing his grandmother had left that ring to him!

The ring isn't what matters -- although I think Mayday's and Bernard's are very cute and clever.

In any case, the topic title is likely untrue . . . a ring like that is usually a promise of a second ring to come. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

So what your saying is guys don't need taste in jewelry in general? Excellent. [Evil Laugh]

[Wink] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Not if they're good at picking up on hints. [Big Grin]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh great, there goes my last hope. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good things to make rings out of:

duct tape.

Super-compressed lint.

A giant lifesaver painstakingly sucked down to the right size.

Copper water pipe from under the sink.

Just draw one on in magic marker. (Or henna if you want to go "old school.")

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Hobbes, compared to the cost of the wedding and subsequent life together, $400 for a ring is really chump change. As silly as it sounds, if you can't afford that much, you shouldn't be talking about marriage yet. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] I'm not Tom. [Razz] (Notice the reference to Christmas present at the top)

[EDIT: Though this has turned into a conversation about engagment rings, I was still talking about other stuff... I see where people (read: Tom [Wink] ) could get confused.]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 15, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how timely! I was just sitting at lunch with my coworkers when a student came up to show off her new engagement ring to one of the women at the table. The student, who's probably two or three years older than me, proceeds to show off her enormous square diamond in a really huge platinum cathedral setting.

Inevitably, the women demand to see MY ring to compare it! Now, don't get me wrong, I love my ring, and I love even more the engagement that it symbolizes... but come on! It's never going to look like much alongside a ring that probably cost around $10K! It felt weird, being sized up like that. Very uncomfortable.

Of course, it doesn't help that this girl looks like I would if I was thin, and that she's 100x more self-confident and popular than I am, so standing next to her I feel like a bloated loser... I feel like I'm in high school again! [Razz]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah, those conversations suck.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Razz] Definitely.
Annie
Member # 295

Yet another clarification -

there was no ulterior motive to this post. It was a dobie.

But it's still fun to talk about rings. Carry on.

rivka
Member # 4859

[whisper] Or it could have been your subconscious . . . [/whisper]
Annie
Member # 295

I have no control over what my subconcious does.
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.