FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Body Types (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Body Types
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed on.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*dances*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I get saggy butt too [Smile] But I know my problem is wearing pants lower than they were designed to be worn. If I find a pair that fit comfortably, they sometimes are meant to swallow your belly button and half your torso. Yuck.

Sleeves that are long enough? Hasn't happened yet, for me, anyway, outside of men's clothing.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
But these are pants that didn't previously have saggy butt. Am confused. And I hitch them up ALL THE TIME and wear a belt, but I can't get the belt any tighter without the front looking all funky. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comma
Member # 5114

- posted      Profile for Comma   Email Comma         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you've got a good heart, Annie.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mac, you have no idea. I am short-waisted and have very, very narrow shoulders. My waist is small for my build and my hips are curvy. I have no butt. I am also a 34D and I'm only 5'4''.

The blouses and shirts that fit my chest are HUGE everywhere else. Nothing hits me where it's supposed to and I am in constant danger of looking bulky.

Keep in mind that most clothing is factory made to fit sizes that are determined by averages. Most of us are above or below the average and are going to have issues.

Mrs. M, I have exactly your fit problems, with the exception of the butt. I definitely have a butt.

Being short waisted with a generous bust, shall we say, makes it a particular challenge buying a dress. They do not make dresses for women who are generously endowed anymore. If I buy a dress that fits me on top, it is too big everywhere else. If it fits me everywhere else, it is generally too small on the top. Dresses that are too blousy on top make me look dumpy. Dresses with no waist make me look fat.

I haven't actually bought a dress in years, for this reason. (The last dress I bought, I have worn several times for weddings and such, but I am not really crazy about the way it fits or the way it makes me look. [Frown] )

Very frustrating. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has the sleeves-too-short issue, but says that "tall" shirts take care of the problem. Lane Bryant and Roamans have some "tall" items, but that'll only work for the size-14-and-ups.

I gave up finding dresses that would fit me years back -- I'm a big fan of separates. With plenty of drape.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Lane Bryant's sleeves aren't long enough, either :/

And dresses all end up having an empire waist on me... whether they're designed that way or not >.<

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with dresses for women with big busts and big hips is that they expect you to be FAT, and I am definitely not fat - hence the dress is too big for me. [Frown]

::longs for the day when clothing used to have darts::

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes is a female tiger . . . who'da thunk? [Dont Know]

Hey Annie, do those legs go all the . . . yeah . . . I guess they do . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the longer legs/shorter torso variety.

I used to have difficulty with pants because, although I was large, my waist was not my biggest part. In particular, my legs have always been very thick. So if the waist fit right, the legs were too tight. I ended up forced to buy pants that fit me everywhere else, and they were huge at the waist. I'm sure they looked very comical bunching up under my belt. [Embarrassed]

Now that I've lost a bunch of weight, I'm finding that off-the-rack pants fit me again. [Smile] I am starting to find that they often sag in the butt as well--which is definitely a reversal--as they progress through the life cycle of being snug, then sagging in the butt, and finally being comically huge.

-o-

As far as the shirts thing goes . . . I don't think it's you. I think that's how they're making women's shirts these days. Having your belly peak out of a shirt that just barely hits your waist is in fashion. (As a high school teacher, I get to see fashions changing a bit more pointedly.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

*sings*

"We represent
The lollipop guild
The lollipop guild
The lollipop guild

We represent
The lollipop guiiiiiild
And, we
wish to
welcome you
to
munch
kin
land."

[ROFL]

Do you have any idea how depressing it is to know 9 year old who are as tall as you?!
[Frown]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I have very large calves. I'm a big person anyway, but my calves are just the bane of my existence. It's better, now that women's pants are not all tapered (the eighties was a bad decade in many ways), but I still have problems.

*grmbl*

And I have big hips but not a huge waist.

Darnit.

Will alterations places do jeans? 'Cuz that's pretty much all I wear.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, most places will do jeans. Or you can send them to the Denim Doctor in L.A.

Ela, my mother knows a great seamstress in Miami - I'll ask her where it is. There's also the best shoemaker in the world in Bal Harbor.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, how do I find a tailor? What is the usual price range?

Do I buy something at a department store and then have it altered?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, suckers.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I was actually toying with the idea of buying a dress form so that I can more easilly do my own alterations (I almost always have to alter my skirts, since usually when I find one that I like the waist fit and length of, the hips are way too big) and even make my own clothing when I'm feeling brave (I've done some that have turned out well). I just wish they weren't so dang expensive.

[ December 17, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I basically have no neck (not muscular, just genetic). When I went into the military, I had a 17" neck and a 32" waist. If I buy a shirt I can button around my neck, the sleeves are about a foot too long and the shoulder seams sit at my elbows. [Frown]

My dress shirts are custom made.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite happy with most of my body. Working on the toning, etc, but the proportions are all right (from my perspective [Wink] ).

It's the feet. Danged feet. I'm usually 10.5 -- 10s pinch, 11s fall off. And apparently there's some nasty rumor going around among shoemakers that women with large feet really strongly prefer to stick their feet in mud-colored boxes.

Dagnabbit.

I'm about ready to completely switch over to Dutch clogs. Wood can be sanded to fit. [Grumble]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd heard that about the mud colored boxes. You mean it's not true?

I've never had a problem with shoes, but I can testify to the difficulty of finding a pair of pants with a 30 inch waist and a 29 inch inseam that don't look ridiculous when worn. If it weren't for Banana Republic, I'd probably just wear a kilt.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question: Why do pants makers only make waist sizes in two-inch increments? My waist is slightly to big for 30s, but I have to wear a belt with 32s.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noemon: [Razz]

By the way, why not just wear a kilt? Or at least add it to your wardrobe. It's a very attractive manly garb. (*refrains from unvirtuous comments about "bandy-legged" and "doth protest too much," etc. I can't see past my boxes, anyways. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ooooo, shoes... I'm a size twelve. The only place (besides catalogues) I know that carries twelve is Payless... which is kinda cool, actually, since I'm a poor college student. But for nice dress shoes, it's impossible. I do have one pair which aren't granny shoes (yay!) but they also have a three inch heel. Seeing as I'm six feet myself, I try not to wear them when I can get out of it...
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yeah, well, I'm 5'5.5" (that extra half inch matters), and let's just say I'm "very stable." As in "can't knock her over because her feet are longer than her legs" stable.

I holds up real good in a strong wind. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] CT
You're the first person on here to actually make me laugh aloud today! I'll remember to tether myself to you if we're ever hanging out in a windstorm.

::waddles off in bandy-legged freakdom::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I know they make jeans in the odd increments. With dressier pants, I usually get them hemmed up if they need it. Usually, if they came from a department store, they'll do it in-house. Either that, or you need a Mom like mine who knows how to do it.

Actually, I think hemming means shortening the length. Maybe I mean "taking it in".

[ December 17, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've occasionally seen pants with a 31-inch waist, but they seem to be quite rare. I'm usually fine with 32s, though, so it's not a huge deal.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife Teres is 4'11" and needs a 40DD bra. Searching for usable clothing is an all-day thing, unless she wants to look like Mrs. Roper from "Three's Company."

I won't go into my problems, although I'm still searching for a store that panders to the "Shaped Like a Bartlet Pear" crowd.

We were joking last week about how they have Big N Tall stores, but no Short N Fat ones. "Save more at the store with the double-wide doors!"

[ December 17, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an extremely short waist, so that my boobs are, like, resting on my pelvis or something. But my legs are really long (5'10"). When I stand up, people ALWAYS say "I didn't know you were tall" because I'm shorter than everyone sitting down. I have to buy jeans that have really really low-rise waists so that I can make use of the space between my bellybutton and...you know. I pretend it's part of my waist. But then, if I have a shorter shirt on, my friends bend over and squint and say "where's your belly button?" I say "About two inches farther north."
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Maureen! Let's you and me go shopping together!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
How about we just learn to make clothes together?

Then I could have those dungarees I've always wanted!

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.