FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's the "Hey Icarus" Thread...

Author Topic: It's the "Hey Icarus" Thread...
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
...in which you ask Icarus what's been going on in his life since he dropped off the Hatrack map.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Icarus!!

How are Cor, Banana and Mango??

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll start.

Hey Icarus--what ever happened with that student that you were afraid was going to take you to court? That was awhile ago--maybe last spring--so I'm sure it was resolved, but I don't remember hearing the details.

Also, how are things going with Banana and Mango? I can't remember which one it was that was going to the alternative school, but the last thing I *can* remember about the situation was that it was improving. She was liking school much more, and her teachers were liking her. How's that going?

What ever happened with the hidiously expensive school play? I realize that that's more of a "Hey Bob" than a "Hey Icarus" topic, but you're still in the area and he isn't, so I thought you might have more information.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Icarus? [Dont Know]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Or I guess I won't start. Narnia will do that. I'll go second though.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus [Wave]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
How's your plan for world domination going?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You know Icarus, one of those clump Floridians. We put up a big fence to keep those Florida folks away from civilized society, but one escaped (with his lava lamp and poseable man) and moved to Texas.

I was afraid Icarus was digging his way out too, but apparently not.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
When did Icarus leave? I'm afraid I'm very behind the times... [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky didn't so much leave as decide Hatrack wasn't as important as keeping his job (bad desicion if you ask me [Razz] ) and has been working hard (yah right). But now we all miss him and so we welcome him back via strategic use of the wave smilie.

Welcome back Icarus. [Wave] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

See Dan, I figured he'd tried to fly over it, had no better luck than last time he took to the air, and was in traction someplace.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
He decided that Wisconsin really was the place to be and so we smuggled him out of FL. [Big Grin]

Seriously, we've missed you! Hope finals are going well and that the coming holiday season is great! How about all them Melting Pot certificates? I didn't see one in my Christmas card! [Taunt]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, [Wave] Icarus! How is everything? It's not the same around here without you!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*does a happy dance* Ic is back! [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] [Embarrassed] [Blushing]

[Wave]

Gimme a sec to answer those . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, but first . . .

*tackle-hugs Ic*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Cor, Banana and Mango are all doing well. Banana currently has a cold, and she's been giving a larger-than-customary amount of attitude lately, but these things seem to come and go in waves. Just at home, though. She's been pretty good at school, actually. I'm not sure how that should make me feel . . .

As with the prior times that family had harrassed me last year, things died down for a while. Then, on one of the last days of school, that student entered my class bragging about how she had made a teacher cry. She had had an assignment to summarize what she had learned in class, and apparently wrote a touching paper; her bragging struck me as rather cynical, and a rude way to repay a teacher she apparently liked--by laughing at her behind her back. I told the teacher, who confronted the student about it. I think I posted about this in very vague terms last spring . . . just a "would you want to know" type thing, but this is what I was referring to. Anyway, the kid went home and told her parents, only in her version it was not a class assignment, but a letter she wrote to her teacher out of the blue because she loved her so much. Her version must have also glossed over her publicly laughing at her teacher's sentimentality and focused instead on my maliciously seeking to destroy her relationship with her favorite teacher. So one day after school--after hours for me--I get a call from the front office saying that her parents are here to see me. I told her to set up an appointement; as she relayed the message, in the background I could hear dad saying, "no, I don't want an appointment. I want to talk to him RIGHT NOW." Based on how hostile all of my prior communications with mom had been, and how dishonest as well, I told the office that I would only meet with them if there was an administrator present to serve as a witness. The secretary, flustered, said that there was not. I told her that my work day was over and I was going home, so an appointment was all he could have, whether he liked it or not. I then asked several other teachers to walk me out to serve as witnesses. Apparently the beleaguered secretary finally did find the assistant principal. He told me later on that the father had vowed to "take this up with [me] on the street." The AP, whom I had already sent a memo detailing the incident to, and who had also spoken with the other teacher in question, had a long talk with mom and dad, and told me a few days later that it was all resolved. I don't know what all went on in the meeting, or what kind of resolution they achieved, but I'm still here, so apparently I didn't get fired. :-\

Mango is doing great at her school--I'm too lazy to dig up a link--but basically she has been fully mainstreamed over there. Educationally, she is even ahead of her sister, which is a first, so I'm very pleased with what they are doing over there. She is learning to write and she is getting ready to read--if you haven't seen this with your own kids, you probably don't know what I mean, but it's like, while she can't really read yet, she is starting to sound out letters and occasionally recognize simple words. All of this might sound mundane to someone else, but if you'd been through what we have with developmental delays, negative tests, etc., you would understand why having our daughter performing comparably to her age peers, and even starting to read and write . . . is more overwhelming than I can find words to express.

I don't know any more about Anniegate. Last we heard the debts were forgiven, but I have heard rumors that say they are not as forgiven as we've been lead to believe. That doesn't quite make sense, since it should be a matter of public record, but without Bob to fight the power, they seem to be able to sweep stuff under the rug. The guy who was in charge of the play is still in his job at the K-8 school, and he has started a non-profit (hah!) company to put on future productions. Oh, and the rest of us had to sit through ethics training during the inservice days at the beginning of the year so that they could make it perfectly clear to us that we can't make purchasing contracts with our spouses. Seems fair.

World domination is proving to be slower going than I had planned. I'm starting to wonder if I should rethink my policy of domination through nonviolence.

You know, I got so much grief over those gift certificates! It wasn't really that much money, and it went to a good cause!

and for everyone else, an assortment of [Wave] , [Smile] , [No No] , [Kiss] , and [Group Hug] .

[Hat]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to have you back Icky, it's been getting out of control here without ya'. [Wink] [Group Hug]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ooh. I somehow forgot to mention that I got a part in a play. It's a small part in Barefoot in the Park, but given that there are only four male roles in it, and there were certainly a lot more than four guys auditioning, I feel outrageously pleased even to have a small part.

Today the telephone repair guy, tomorrow the world!

[Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

*steals Icky's shoes*
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and the rest of us had to sit through ethics training during the inservice days at the beginning of the year so that they could make it perfectly clear to us that we can't make purchasing contracts with our spouses.
Oh God, that's so funny I want to cry!

Congratulations on the part in the play! That's so cool!!!

Is Cor in this one?

When are y'all coming for a visit to TX??????

Hmmm??????

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Um, when they move it across the gulf? [Wink]

Cor isn't in this one; it's not a musical.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Funny, I always sing when I'm barefoot in the park. Are you sure it's not a musical?
rivka
Member # 4859

I prefer to poison pigeons, personally.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] rivka

I need to dig that song out again!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*digs*

Lyrics.

Music.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Sorry Anna and Ela . . . I was working on the other computer and didn't hear the IM dings.

[Embarrassed]

rivka
Member # 4859

*re-checks buddy list*

I still don't see you . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.