FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you find a missing person?

Author Topic: How do you find a missing person?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing. My friend's great-grandfather died in the USA around 1965 (maybe). My friend is trying to get some info, but he only knows his name (and probably date of birth) - the family lost contact with him after the war.

Anyone knows a way to find out when/where he died?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a social security number, you can call the social security office and find out some information, I think.

EDIT: Duh. You said you only knew his name and birthdate. Do you know where he died?

[ December 17, 2003, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Nope.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mormon genealogical records. If he's not on that database, you've probably got his name wrong.

[ December 17, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could take a chance and post his name and birthdate here, and all of us super-sleuths who have nothing to do but browse the internet all day can try to help you locate information on him.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

He's internet shy [Wink]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's okay.

Or, for turnabout -- I have long-lost relative in Your Country that I've lost touch with -- and I don't read the language well enough to understand his web page.

We used to communicate frequently, but now I can't reach him. Actually I don't know how he is related to me exactly, except we have the same last name, which is a rare last name....

So if you run into him anywhere in Poland, tell him to let me know where he is now!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It only says he's a student in Gdansk [Smile]

And, yes, it's a weird last name. Russian, perhaps?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes, last I knew he only created that web page as an assignment for university work. I think he is done with college now, so don't know where he is..

My grandfather came here from Prussia....prior to that, it is anyone's guess what kind of name it is. Many theories, but no documentation.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.