FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Light Eight Candles; Tell Eight Jokes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Light Eight Candles; Tell Eight Jokes
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Divorced Jewish man, seeks partner to attend shule with, light Shabbos candles, celebrate holidays, build Sukkah together, attend brisses, bar mitzvahs. Religion not important. PB 658
Ha!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're supposed to start at the other end.

_____ [Cool] [Cool] -- [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]
.╚═╩═╩═╩═╦═╩═╩═╩═╝

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on your perspective. Are we behind the person lighting the menorah, or facing them?

Anyway, we're currently at -1 candles.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's the night St.Nicklestein flies to children's homes...

[ December 22, 2008, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I dont understand the airline joke, can somoene explain it to me?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*bump*

Chanuka starts Sunday night!

Here's an interactive singing menorah to play with.

Strangely enough this was utter chaos until I light the 9th candle and then the music sounded orderly.

Anyone miss watching rugrats? When I was younger I was soooo confused when they had both Jewish and Christian themed episodes.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The mother was Jewish, the father was "fill in the blank"...I don't think they ever mentioned he was Christian.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

It's sort of a "pushy Jew" thing. When you fly to Israel, the people who are in the aisles instantly upon landing are almost all Jewish passengers.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
So, being Christmas Eve, two elderly Jewish men head out to the local Chinese restaurant for want of any place else to go.

As they sit there talking, the begin to discuss just how far the wandering tribes have wandered.

Sol said, "There are Jews in Russia, and Jews in California. There are Jews in Brazil and Jews in Ethiopa. My sisters son has a colleague who celebrated the high-holy days at a weather station in Antartica. We wandering Jews, we've gone everywhere."

"Not everywhere" said Abraham. "I'm sure there are places that no Jew has been."

"Where?" asked Sol.

"China. I've never heard of a Jew in China."

"I'm sure there are plenty of Jews in China. Such a big place. Sure there are."

"No there is not. I know this for a fact. There are no Chinese Jews."

At this time the waiter came up to them and said, "What will you have?"

Sol turned to the young man and said. "You should know. Are there any Chinese Jews?"

"No." said the waiter.

"Ha" crowed Abe. "See. No Chinese Jews."

Confused, Sol turned to the waiter. "Are you sure there's no Chinese Jews?"

"Very sure. We have apple juice, tomato juice and orange juice. No Chinese Juice."

This gets me to another question. It is almost a cliche' that Jewish folks eat Chinese for dinner on Christmas eve because every other place for them to go is closed, and everything on TV is all Christmas themed, so staying at home is boring.

But what about folks from our non-Christian Chinese communities? Where do they go on Christmas eve, besides those working in the restaurants? Do they all go out to the local Kosher Deli to eat sandwiches named after movie-stars?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

It's sort of a "pushy Jew" thing. When you fly to Israel, the people who are in the aisles instantly upon landing are almost all Jewish passengers.
Is it more an Israeli thing, or does it apply to all Jews? That isn't a stereotype I've heard of in America or Europe. It sounds like it would also work for Italians.

I suppose maybe it's an eastern US thing as well, because in California I don't think we have many of the same Semetic stereotypes and terms used on the east coast. I know I've heard a lot of them on TV or in movies, (and from east coast friends) that are not used on the west coast.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, of course, that this coming January 26 will mark the start of the year 4707 in the Chinese calendar, while it'll be 5769 in the Jewish calendar. Which means that for 1,062 years, the Jews had to go without Chinese food...

[Edited to correct year & math. But what's ten years between friends?]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Interesting trivia while I am unsure if there are ethnic han jews there are indeed or was jews who lived in China.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting trivia while I am unsure if there are ethnic han jews there are indeed or was jews who lived in China.

You may be taking these just a tad too seriously. [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
*bump*

Chanuka starts Sunday night!

Here's an interactive singing menorah to play with.

Strangely enough this was utter chaos until I light the 9th candle and then the music sounded orderly.
You mean the middle one? Yeah, that's the shammes -- of COURSE he's the conductor! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Is it more an Israeli thing, or does it apply to all Jews? That isn't a stereotype I've heard of in America or Europe.

Israelis and NY Jews. None of the rest of us are like that at all. *whistles innocently*

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
quote:

Definitely. But anyone who is interested in Chinese Jews should read Pearl Buck's Peony. Or if you're interested in Chinese converts to Judaism, start with The Bamboo Cradle.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
quote:

Definitely. But anyone who is interested in Chinese Jews should read Pearl Buck's Peony. Or if you're interested in Chinese converts to Judaism, start with The Bamboo Cradle.
Here's a history of some Jews in Haerbin which includes the Olmert connection.
http://www.bh.org.il/Communities/Archive/Harbin.asp

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
But what about folks from our non-Christian Chinese communities? Where do they go on Christmas eve, besides those working in the restaurants? Do they all go out to the local Kosher Deli to eat sandwiches named after movie-stars?

Hmmm, that took a while for me to parse. Its hard to generalize but in my experience there is nothing much special about Christmas Eve. Its not a statutory holiday here and usually doesn't fall on a weekend, so not much happens.
IIRC, we do sometimes go out for dim sum on Christmas morning since some Chinese restaurants will open on that day anyways.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A modern Chanukah miracle!
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, that link takes me to a "someone tried to link to a copyrighted cartoon and got caught" thing.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rats. Let's see if I can find another link.

Can you follow this? It should be the first one . . .

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What did one snowman say to the other?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you smell carrots?"
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Slideshow: Chanukah in Yerushalayim
MarekAgain
Member # 13484

- posted      Profile for MarekAgain           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 108 | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.