FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Great Decision: Rebuilding the WTC

Author Topic: A Great Decision: Rebuilding the WTC
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
NYC will again be home to the tallest structure in the world.

I think this the perfect memorial. I'm pleased that they decided this, rather than any of the dozen sketches I saw proposed a year ago.

[ December 20, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still of the mind that if theyre gonna build a tall ass building there again, then they need to rebuild the twin towers. Safer and tougher of course, but the twin towers again.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord. A Freedom Tower? Freaking morons. That day marked a tragedy, not only in the loss of lives but also in a tremendous lost of freedom -- and, for the year following it, fanatical lockstep patriotism not at all unlike what the administrations of the USSR encouraged in their citizens. I agree that there needs to be a memorial, and I'm glad they decided on rebuilding the WTC in some aspect -- but god damn that name's ridiculous.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if it's the home of the Justice League it isn't!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that article OSC wrote about what they should do with the WTC site...hold on, I'll go fish for it...

Here it is.
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2001-10-29-1.html

I agree with him on this one.

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daedalus
Member # 1698

- posted      Profile for Daedalus   Email Daedalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Good point, Bob. I want to see this called the Baxter Building, as a test of the balls of whoever's running this thing.
Posts: 641 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it'll be before it earns the nickname "French Tower?" [Wink]

In all seriousness, I think a statue or sculpture fashioned from the WTC rubble would have been far more appropriate.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely glad they decided on a foward-looking replacement, rather than a backward-looking one.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Twinky, I think that a memorial statue/sculpture thingie would be better. Not only does the design they picked look rather bizzare but I think it's almost a challenge, you know: Hey, look we put the target back up! Come and hit it again! I wouldn't want to work there...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaydubb
Member # 5953

- posted      Profile for kaydubb   Email kaydubb         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Daedalus, I understand what they are trying to accomplish with that name, but I can't help but feel it is a bit over the top considering what happened right after 9/11 (Patriot Act etc.)..
Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with OSC in that article, although at the time he wrote it (September 29, 2001), I would've been nodding in aproval.

I think it's important that we rebuild the towers, not in defiance, not for economic gain (please [Roll Eyes] ), not for more office space. I think that a new building should be built over the site as a way of symbolizing that life can come from death, and, on another level, to symbolize all the people manhattan is built on (either physically or metaphorically).

What I don't agree with about the plan is that (a)I think the tower design is a big steaming heap of architectural crap and (b)that it's being used as a springboard for American jingoism.

The tower: It's a big white twisty-metal thing. It's post-modern, industrialist, and completely lacking organic lines. The thing will be built on the site of the greatest tragedy in recent American history, the greatest single site of death in modern American history, and instead of showing life and vitality despite death and tragedy, it shows that big twisty metal is good. The replacement tower should appear to flow out of the ground like water or roots from a tree

The motive: Calling the thing the "Freedom Tower" is painful. The building isn't going to be built in the name of freedom, it will be built in the name of profit. The people who died on September 11 didn't die for their freedom, they died because other people couldn't stand that they had freedom. The tower itself won't be a representation of freedom, since the tower will primarily be used by elite businessmen. But it's going to be called the "Freedom tower" and not the "Capitalism Tower". Why? Because "Freedom Tower" stabs people in that spot that forces them remember September 11 and the mindset that prevents them from questioning the government. It's like calling it the "Support our Troops Tower". Why can't it be called "Phoenix Tower" or "Pinnicle Tower" or even, "Manhattan Tower"?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I still say rebuild the Twin Towers.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.