FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Laid Plans

Author Topic: Best Laid Plans
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, my wife has a pretty good idea what I'm getting her for Christmas since she's pretty specific about what she wants. I like to wrap things in different boxes, though, to throw her off.

This year, I bought her a new pair of tennis shoes. Since a shoe box is pretty recognizable, especially if you're looking for one, I decided to just put one shoe in a small gift bag under the tree. It had lots of crepe paper sticking out of it and I thought there would be no way she'd figure it out.

When she came downstairs, I told her she might want to look under the tree for her new present. There it was in all it's red-bagged glory - with a shoelace hanging over the top. [Grumble]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom generally gives me enough accidental hints that I know what he's getting me for Christmas. This year, though, he's managed to completely confound me with a box that's as large as I am. [Smile] However, he did tell me two other gifts when we were in Best Buy and I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't let me pick up Pirates of the Carribbean or Nickelback. That'll teach him to take me to Best Buy before Christmas. *grin*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it is that glider rocking chair?

OR... a crib or changing table?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a DVD. [Evil Laugh] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite curious as to what slacker has gotten me, since he's said that one thing is too big to wrap up (I wonder if it's the thing he had in the trunk of his car for about a week, so whenever you went around a corner, you'd hear it slide and thump into the other side) and that one of my gift I will "really appreciate next summer". What could they be? [Dont Know]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Picture a refrigerator comes in, all wrapped up, and then you open it and find...a box the size of a stove, all wrapped up, and etc., etc., etc.

My mother did this once to my grandfather, and at the end the gift was a harmonica. She used at least 20 boxes, all gift-wrapped with lovely bows and everything. Everyone was laughing so hard at the end my grandfather declared that the joke was the real gift. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother did something similar with a gift for me one year, only he started with a box about the size of a stove and finished with a tiny (maybe 2 inch) package that contained something I no longer remember. [Big Grin]

[ December 22, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, now I'm insanely curious about what you guys are getting... I need to know!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's Oompa loompas. Do you hear soft melodic singing coming from the box?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers @ Jonny*

We were transporting gifts from one place to another in our house and I lifted up one of mine...it was JUST the right shape and JUST the right weight of something that I had JUST seen a few days before in a store. Yippeee!! I think I'm getting it for Christmas! [Smile] (I won't say what it is a) to drive Ryuko nuts and b) JUST in case I'm wrong.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, he did tell me two other gifts when we were in Best Buy and I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't let me pick up Pirates of the Carribbean or Nickelback. That'll teach him to take me to Best Buy before Christmas. *grin*
You are just like my wife, Christy. This should teach you not to even think about buying yourself something this close to Christmas. Teach Tom, indeed.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy myself stuff over the holidays all the time. In fact, just last night...

*goes off to start new thread*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.