FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Algebra is for Lovers

Author Topic: Algebra is for Lovers
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, there's this shirt that American Eagle Outfitters once sold. My girlfriend bought it, and wears it religiously. My problem is that I have no FREAKIN' clue as to what it means. It's two owls standing next to each other on a branch, and the picture is nearly symmetrical.

Can anyone clue me in on this, if you've got an idea or maybe if you've seen the shirt?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Doot dooty-doo!

A Random Resurrection!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*ponders* Algebra is for lovers reminds me of an N.E.R.D. line.."Brain is for lovers"....
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Two owls? On a tight t-shirt from a store with notoriously skanky clothes? Ummmmm.....

*leaves that alone*

Does the shirt say Algebra is for Lovers? Or is it just the owls? Now I'm confused. And is Emp still around anyway?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a bumper sticker that said:

"Don't take away my rights just because you can't control your child."

[Dont Know] I'm so confused.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hey! I found the answer! This site explains it all - the whole owlgebra enigma.

Unfortunately, it's all in Korean.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh hey - and apparently someone named Kelly explains it all in her blog.
quote:
I Spended the day with my cousin Lindsey at the mall. She got me the very special Algebra is for LoversTshirt from American Eagle I've been looking for for EVER. And I got a Whiskeytown CD (yay!), and we went to Victoria's Secret, Heeeeee... I like that store. Pretty items of clothing. Pretty pretty. Hee.
I'm so glad I found this. I feel so enlightened.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly is my new favorite person.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to link to that same Korean site, Annie, but you beat me to it. And I really don't think AE is notoriously skanky. Are you possibly confusing them with Abercrombie and Fitch?

As for what "Algebra is for Lovers" means, I would reason that it is a nerdy joke based on "Virginia is for Lovers". That is the original one, isn't it? There have been a lot of parodies of it. I have a shirt from Urban Outfitters that says replaces Virginia with Texas.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Are you possibly confusing them with Abercrombie and Fitch?
Most likely. But they're all owned by McDonald's anyway, aren't they?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw a bumper sticker that said:

"Don't take away my rights just because you can't control your child."

[Dont Know] I'm so confused.

Could it be about some forms of physical punishment of your children being considered child abuse now?

edit: added "now"

[ February 20, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite quote from Kelly:

quote:
My hair is shiny. Shiny like pennies.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to start a Kelly fanclub...

quote:
If it dosn't sound funny, think of the priest as the love child of a Gregorian chanter high on speed and a dying seagull with a fork jammed in it's eye.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Here it is!

The Kelly Fan Club

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this will help.

Actually, on second thought, maybe it won't.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
o_0

Remind me of your point again Jon Boy?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.