FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texans are Climatically Challenged

Author Topic: Texans are Climatically Challenged
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
While I waste my life here on Hatrack, my wife spends her days playing computer spades. She has a group of friends that meet on Yahoo and have a good time.

One of them, from San Antonio Texas, rented a condo for the holidays in Branson MO.

Branson is only about 4 hours drive from here, so we went down to meet them, and to show them the town.

All they did was complain about the weather.

They were cold, huddled up in their blankets and layered clothing, teeth chattering and hands shaking.

They quickly repacked their bags and ran back to the oven they call home.

All because the temperature in Branson got down to the mid 40's.

That's 43 degrees Farenheit, above zero.

That's 6.11 Celsius, above zero, to those of you metrically enabled.

Texas Whimps.

[ December 27, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
It's about 28 F here. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

They would have died there.

They were hoping for snow. How we could have had snow and they being alergic to sub-freezing temperatures, I did not want to discuss with them.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*

That happened when a friend of mine from Georgia visited me in New Hampshire in December a couple years ago. She whined and froze her ass off...in forty degree weather.

*shrug*

Silly Southerners. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I know. It was 68 F during the daytime where I live, and my sister in San Diego visited for Christmas and all she talked about is how cold it is here. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
But you have to think of me. I'm from MN, where we have sub-freezing all the time and never notice, but when it gets above 85, I'm completely miserable.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. Texans are very wimpy.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
When my roomate got home today he says "Jeez its freezing outside, it must remind you of New York".

Ummm, its at least in the fifties out here in San Diego. I think there's just not the same shared experiences for us to relate on what constitutes bad weather. It could be 15 degrees colder and I would still think it a rather warm winter night.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It does get cold here from time to time. I'm about 2 hours NE of San Antonio and we've had some overnight temps in the 30s. Even had a day where the high didn't crack 60!!!

[Eek!]

[Angst]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

whimp
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::looks outside::

::see's the 19 inches of snow that has come in the last 3 days::

Where's Crystal at? I think she said last night that it was -10, so I won't call anyone a wuss for fear of her calling ME a wuss.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki   Email Julian Delphiki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to school in FL and when it hits 50, people start complaining about how cold it is, and they put on the thick coats with scarves and mittens...hahaha.

I'm from Chicago, and only when it snowed was it cold enough to stop wearing shorts and t-shirts. I love the "cold" weather down there, and laughed at a couple friends who found it "freezing". Oh well, I'm back home for break, but kinda feel gipped, 'cause all the snow is melted. [Frown]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Florida over Christmas and we went to a flea market on a 60 degree day. I was in shorts and a tee-shirt enjoying it but all teh Floridians had their sweatshirts and hats on.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.....I'm a Floridian, weather-wise.

My sister says I'm "Climactically Challenged"...I was so surprised to see it on Hatrack, hehe.

When the temperature drops below 65, I definitely need long pants and a sweatshirt...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was -10 F here yesterday, but today it "warmed up" to 8 above. [Angst]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my air conditioner on last night. *grin*
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I envy you. It was in the teens on Saturday as we drove to Colorado, and it's not much warmer right now. At least all the snow stayed up in Salt Lake.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I sat out by my pool on Saturday in shorts drinking an ice cold beer.

I love Florida!

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a whole lot of Texas and a whole lot of different weather. What is San Antonio is not the Panhandle. The week before last we had a 77 degree day followed by a day that did not get out of the 30s. Someone in Utah once said to me after hearing I was from Texas (it was winter and there was snow outside), "I bet its nice and warm in Texas." I kindly informed him there was at that very time a blizzard in the Panhandle with a 100+ car pile-up on I-40. The previous two years we have had a white Christmas, two feet of snow two years ago. Of course, this year we had a high of 74.

Texans whimps? Better rethink. San Antonio is not Texas but is a part of it.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.