FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fundraising help

Author Topic: Fundraising help
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure how to fund my trip to Europe for next summer. I don't really sell things cuz I can't make anything and most companies that I would've asked for sponsorship don't answer to individual requests. I need to get 4,795 and I'm too yougn to work and my family is the 'richest' amongst my relatives. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Are your parents willing/able to help you with this at all? Even a few hundred dollars would be useful.

While you probably already know this, if you get an allowance or any other form of income, save it.

Solicit donations - it cannot hurt.

Those are pretty much the only legal ways I can think of; hopefully other Hatrackers will have more advice.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kavon
Member # 6038

- posted      Profile for Kavon   Email Kavon         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you play a guitar and look really scruffy looking?
Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could participate in an exchange program for students....

or you could make a nice travel report about your trip to Europe and sell it....

or you could ask your parents to order some work-you-can-do-at-home, like packing socks or something like that, and of course you'll be the one who does the job....

and you can come stay with us while you are in Europe, saves you money, you're welcome to it!

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with the People to People Student Ambassador program created by President Eisenhower. I'm staying in Europe for 3 weeks, France, Austria, Switz and Italy. We're leaving in summer but I want to make sure I have the money soon.

My parents' are willing to help but I don't want to entirely burden them. I can play the piano but not that well to perform for money. Scruffy-looking? Define scruffy looking.

[ December 28, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Maethoriell ]

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always pay your parents back, but the opportunity to travel to Europe may not come again. If they are willing, I would use their funding as much as possible. That said, if you can think of any other ways to raise funds, I would use them so that your parents are not burdened more than necessary.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I sold doughnuts from Krispy Kreme every Saturday morning for a long time during high school in order to fund a lock in at the Y that we had in honor of the birthday of another of our friends. I don't know how the money involved compares because of inflation. I imagine ours cost much less than this. But we made about 50% gross profit on the doughnuts. We ended up buying many of them ourselves, of course. Krispy Kreme didn't need any credentials other than one person's mom had to pony up the money the first week. (You buy the doughnuts (hot and fresh) and get a quantity discount, then sell them by the box for whatever price you can get.)

I don't know that you can still do that, but it's all I could think of. Good luck.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
ak's idea is good, but if you were really willing to work on it, you could bake some relatively simple thing, like cinniamon rolls or bread, and sell them fresh door to door. I'm pretty sure you'd gross more than fifty percent, and neighbors could just give donations on top of whatever you decide to charge your item. In fact, I have a good french bread recipe I'd be willing to share if you're up to it.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Selling baked goods is a good idea. My sister did People to People a few summers ago and got most of her money from babysitting...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
check with the school, see if they'll let you do one of those candy selling fundraisers everyone's always doing.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
$5,000 for a trip to Europe??? I should think you can do better than that if you are going as a student. Staying in youth hostels, traveling by Eurail. etc.

Maybe you can make enough money to fund a less expensive trip to Europe if you dig for bargains.

Is this a group trip? If so, are the other members of the group in need of cash too? You should be able to band together, etc.

Are you legal age to work? If so, you could probably save enough with after school jobs to get there and back.

You could also look into employment on a cruise ship which would get you there, and back with maybe some time inbetween if you work it right.

If you are not of legal working age, then your options are pretty limited. Babysitting and fundraising drives are about it. And I just can't imagine selling candy door-to-door is going to cut it. Plus, you'd have to babysit pretty steadily to earn that kind of cash in 5 - 7 months, wouldn't you?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
You could go on the internet and find out which companies in your areas have businesses in the countries you're going to visit. Next, find out who the Human Resources Director is of that company nearest you. Talk with them about working for their company while on your trip and see if they would be interested in helping with the funding.

You may have to work, but it will give you a look at international businesses as well as corporate structuring of european markets.

Good Luck, Mae.

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
A young woman I know who was 15 wanted to go on one of those missionary trips to South America through some teen ministry program. She simply asked everyone she knew (phone, e-mail, in person) if they would be willing to donate. Donations were sent directly to the organization sponsoring the trip, so we knew she would only be using it for that.

She also did babysitting, washing windows, worked at a local nursing home some, and anything else people would hire her to do.

Farmgirl
edit for poor spelling

[ December 30, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in High School I wanted to travel to Washington DC as part of an educational group. I asked for, ang got donations from several of the local civic groups--Lions Club, VFW, American Legion Hall.

These are groups that cover up their real purpose (of being a cheap bar and hang out for the men who go there) by donating to worthy civic causes, such as sending young people on educational trips.

Other options: E-Bay your sister, or anything of value around your house.

Is there a local flea-market? If not put up a yard sale, but include the home made bread for sale.

Check with the school counselors. They may know of some scholarships.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps start mowing lawns come springtime...

$20 to $25 bucks a pop, a bit of sweat and you'll make a dent in it.

You might also want to check if they offer any scholarship assistance in the People to People program. Most have some sort of additional funding for the people going.

And if that doesn't work out, ask your parents. If they can't afford it, then just write it off and go later. It is an opportunity, but it will be far from your last one.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, there are lots of fundraising products and info sites for student groups (though probably not helpful for you, Maeth).

If you owned a CD burner, you could advertise to see if any student groups (bands, musicals) wanted to make an audio CD. You could do all the labels/burning for them for like $4 each CD and make quite a profit.

Would your school let you and maybe other students in the Exchange Program set up a baked-goods sale during break/lunch once a week every week? A local group at my college got tons of baked goods donated from Au Bon Pain and other bakeries, especially since those bakeries are often willing to donate end of the day items. Baking cookies from scratch might be too much effort/expensive, but you might be able to get cookie dough/mixes from Costco or BJ's.

Getting a decent job is probably the simplest way to raise the money. If you're old enough, you could try applying at a temp agency, you probably have the typing skills/word processor skills.

Keep us updated. If you have any ideas of creative skills you have, tell us and maybe we can think up something interesting =)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah darn, I forgot:

I have one friend who makes funny Tshirts. She buys the Tshirts from thrift stores, makes her own stencils out of cardboard, and uses fabric pens/permanent markers to fill them in. Sometimes they're simple designs, usually they're amusing humor.

She also makes wallets out of packing tape and pictures from magazines/newspapers/etc. Instead of a ductape wallet, she does these with themes (like a sushi wallet, or flapper girl photos, or cartoons). They would only cost as much as the packing tape, and I've seen similar ones on sale for ridiculous amounts (like $20. But I'd assume a reasonable price would be like $5-$10, depending on the audience).

I'd suggest sewing, but the upfront cost of fabric is quite prohibitive.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.