FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You will always remember this as the year when... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You will always remember this as the year when...
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't kill anyone that I am aware of, nor did I create any new humans.

Balance, in all things.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to give Slash some really good birth control...
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who knew that I'd find the love of my life at the age of 18?
Amen to that. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the year my parents split up. I have a feeling however that the repercussions of this one will be developing for a couple of years to come. [Frown]

On the upside, this is the year I moved interstate, moved in with Scythrop interstate, and we survived the year living together!
Now hopefully 2004 will be the year we buy a house... better start saving.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
In 2003 I:

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a pretty average year for me, but I decided I wanted to add to this thread the things I would remember.

2003 was the year:

My grandfather died. Though, it seems he has been dead many years due to the alzheimer's that took his mind long ago.

I didn't get into the School of Music for the second year in a row.

I didn't have surgery. This is in contrast to the last two years.

I didn't get a summer job, despite all my good intentions. I applied at over 20 places and didn't receive a single call back. (I did finally have a temp job for five weeks, but that doesn't *really* count.)

I did have the best semester of my college career thus far, academically speaking. I started my new major (Humanities with a music emphasis) and I absolutely love it. I had great classes, and I enjoyed them. AND, it showed in my grades. [Big Grin]

*Looks back at her year*

Seems like there were a lot of 'didn't's in that list. I was really a good year, honestly! [Smile]

Oh, and can't forget all the Hatrackers I managed to meet this year. I'll attempt to list them in chronological order: Brinestone, Jon Boy, T_Smith, popatr, Hobbes, sarcasticmuppet, Pat, advice_for_robots, pajeba, ravenclaw, narrativium, and Temposs. Pretty cool bunch, eh? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the year that my mother died.

Which also means,

- it's the year I figuratively mosh-pitted onto Hatrack, and y'all held me up

- it's the year I realized that I have little left to lose, and how little I wish to ever give that up

- it's the year I grew up.

All-in-all, an "up" year. [Smile] / [Frown] / [Smile] Many loose ends woven back together.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my license, I got my first job, I got homeschooled, I joined a forum full of, apparently primarily, obsessively compulsed Mormons.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
The year

-My first son was born,whom I adore and who is laughing in his swing at the moment
[Kiss]
-I graduated with another associates (in honors)
[The Wave]
-I started transferring home videos into DVDs
how I feel about video editing software> [Mad]
-I went to the LOTR ROFK line party
[Party]

-I went to Yellowstone for the first time

(not in order)

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
*My grandfather died

*I finally started getting lead roles in plays

*I met an amazing group of friends through a theatre internship

*The Governator took over California

*Return of the King

*Harry Potter Book 5 FINALLY came out

*I applied to colleges (I just sent in eight applications yesterday)

*War in Iraq

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat Brando died.

I realized what I want to be when I grow up.

I lost five close friends.

I moved into my house, the only house I've ever owned. It's nice here. It's my home. I hope I can keep it.

I learned how to not ever be suicidal anymore. I grew up and got strong, maybe, I hope.

I started learning Arabic.

Saudade nearly died. And then returned to us from out of the shadow.

The war in Iraq.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't get into the School of Music for the second year in a row.

Dearheart, please don't think you're the only one. That school of music has screwed over more of my friends than I can count on my hands AND toes. [Smile] I'm glad you've found something that you love to do despite them. [Mad]

quote:
Saudade nearly died. And then returned to us from out of the shadow.

Thanks for reminding me ak. I miss her. Any word on how she's doing?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I look back on the year and realize that I spent most of it trying to drive myself sane.

No dice.

Stress didn't work (got my first paid writing job, and proceeded to push deadlines with the help of my friend Tequila).

Neither did isolation (though I had some enlightening moments curled in the fetal position in the mountains of central Idaho).

Sleep deprivation was a temporary solution (but my fuzzy slippers are permanently scarred).

Guess I'll be trying again this year.

Oddly enough, this was also the year when I lost my title of "Most talked about at family gatherings". My antics no longer surprise anyone.

My little sister(23) is engaged with a temple wedding soon to come; my youngest sister (18)is in jail for grand theft-auto, posession of a controlled substance, and posession of a concealed weapon; one cousin(23) is on his way to war in Iraq; another cousin(17) is pregnant.

I'm gonna have to get busy in 2004 to regain my title. I'm probably going to have to fake my own death. Or finish college. That would shock the hell out of pretty much everyone.

As far as my Hatrack year goes, I got in a hot tub with Icarus, Cor, coil, SingingRing, and Leo, drunk White Russians with Strider and Leto...

Spent some time in SoCal flirting with Emily, rollerblading with porce, chillin' with Squirrel, drinking margaritas with Ralphie, Papa Moose, and Mr.Dove, beating Sandy at air hockey with my bare hands, eating food with foob, having a wet t-shirt contest with Mooselet, and playing football with LadyDove.

And I got to carry Dierdre and Ralphie up two flights of stairs in July.

What more does one need?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look back on this year as one in which I simultaneously lost faith in every institution:

- the church
- the government
- the media
- the military
- the business community

It's down to me, God and a few friends.

Thanks, Hatrack, for being better than the rest of the world.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, Saudade is having a great time in Brussels. She is getting better, slowly. Every time I remember that we could have lost her, I realize again how lucky we are to have her. Such a shining light. <beams>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the comfort, Narnia. [Smile] It has been almost a year since that happened, but there are still lingering feelings I can't seem to get rid of. I know that I am happy with what I am doing, but I'm not to the point where I can say that I don't wish that I had gotten in. Also, taking classes with all the people that *did* get in is a daily battle with jealousy. But hey, "...All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." Right? I've learned so much about myself in the last two years with this particular trial, that I know, however hard it is, that that verse is true.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.